Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

biznatchio posted:

His original screenshot was fine, in my opinion. The logo doesn't need to line up with the data entry fields. :mad:

It worked before, yes, but I'm not a designer at all and even I can see that it looks better this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

clockwork automaton posted:

I made this pretty awful java applet version of missile command:

(my hosting)

Still some bugs and the code really needs to be cleaned up, but it works.

Oh god, that sound effect. :lol:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tw1tchy posted:

Wow, that looks :krad:

I love how ascii games pay attention to detail (DF, Nethack, etc) compared to current-gen games, where graphics is the main focus.

It's the case because the overall gameplay style of Nethack, etc is extremely, extremely niche. Most gamers don't want that kind of detail, and so devs with the money to do real graphics don't try.

It drives me nuts because roguelike devs can be really dogmatic, faithfully reproducing control schemes that verged on asinine in the 80s, utterly failing to use visual cues for important stuff (like getting poisoned or having your gear damaged), and so on. When someone suggests encorporating roguelike elements into a game that isn't a dungeon crawl with perma death there's always someone to act like it's blasphemy. Urggjashdasda I get angry about videa games :unsmigghh:

It makes me happy when I see games that use text as a conscious design choice, as Monsterland seems to, and not just because art is hard or for street cred.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ColdPie posted:

.NET? :ughh: so much for portability

I love when peole jump on a chance to bash Microsoft products without actually reading the thread.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Gripper posted:

I've been following development of it for a while and I think I'm most impressed that it's goddamn QBasic. I think the previous best-in-class game I'd seen in QB was gorillas.bas, I didn't even know it was capable of anything more technical.

This post reminded me of my QB days, back when I was 12 or so. I was pretty proud of myself for getting some 256 color 2D sprites working. Tried to google up some of the games I'd played back in the day.

In the process I found some things that scare me (images are links)

Never underestimate the power of QBasic and determination.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Null Pointer posted:

I've been writing an engine replacement for Dark Forces 2.

Video showing some scripts running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5T7nrU5210

Still pretty early so there isn't too much to talk about other than scathing criticism of 1997's finest computer software design. No idea if I'll ever finish it, but it's been keeping me busy between interviews.

Finish ittttttt. The XL Engine already supports the first Dark Forces, but I honestly think the second is better, and it's a much bigger pain in the rear end to get working on a modern machine.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Thermopyle posted:

That would be a cool effect for when you've been poisoned.

Or for distorting the bottom of a pool. I love fortuitous accidents.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Suspicious Dish posted:

Right, I was just curious why the rasterizer was emitting pixels in columns rather than rows.

Last page, but I don't think anyone answered this question.

Think about what a wall looks like in perspective:

What the engine in, say, Wolfenstein 3D does is cast out a ray for every column of pixels in the final viewport, and trace each one out to the first wall. This part I think you got. The key that shodanjr_gr was kind of vague about is that it uses trig to figure out how tall the wall appears to be at the point hit. It's not actually treating the wall as a surface, so it would be completely unable to figure out how to draw anything with just a ray for every row of pixels. You actually can use a row-by-row approach to render floors and ceilings.

For engines that support walls that aren't all of the same height you just factor that into the calculation of the strips height and slide the rendered strip up or down to account for player height, elevation of player's position, etc. The actual game logic is all purely 2D, and any 3D-seeming logic was accomplished via unholy space magic. There's a reason raycasting was completely abandoned once true 3D got to be truly viable.

For completeness, here's the tutorial pretty much everybody uses when writing babby's frist raycaster.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

toiletbrush posted:

Thats so awesome...I've been meaning to write a raycaster since I first saw Wolfenstein but never quite gotten round to it (apart from a lovely one I wrote in AMOS when I was about 12) and I think this is the encouragement I need. The glitchier the better.

Dooooo iiiiiiit. It's a lot of fun, and you can get the basics working in a weekend even if you're terrible like me.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

clockwork automaton posted:

More stuff for my game thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uDt45cdQAo

and released it up on itch.io because why not?

The abrupt death and return to the menu made me laugh out loud for reasons I'm not sure I understand. I love it, and the crow animation is fantastic.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dicking around with my terrain generator. I got rivers working! Kinda...

It picks a random point, and assigns it a flow value. A pixel with flow value 3 will flow to the 3 lowest adjacent pixels. Pixels with flow 1 never exhaust and just flow until they have nowhere to flow to. It does this for however many water sources are specified on the setup tab.

Next step is to implement pooling when a river hits a low point with no lower neighbor pixels. Then I can figure out outflow from lakes and the rivers may eventually hit the goddamn ocean at a rate higher than 1 in 8. The realistic/logical way to accomplish that goal is to somehow model erosion such that rivers carve their own channels to the sea, but pfffft, gently caress that.

I'm pretty pleased with this shitheap considering how little actual design went into it.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 16, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HardDisk posted:

I always wanted to build a terrain generator. Do you have any recommendation on articles/tutorials?

As far as generating the base heightmap, I have no references and no plan. I just do stuff and sometimes it works. The implementations of perlin and simplex noise presumably came from the internet at some point in the past four or so years. I found them on an old hard drive and started this project on a whim.

The terrain in that screenshot is 5 layer of simplex noise, each with twice the frequency and half the amplitude of the previous, and each with a random seed. I assigned colors to arbitrary height ranges--picking colors to make it look terrainy--but it's still basically just a heightmap.

I stumbled on this page about erosion modeling algorithms the other day but haven't tried any of them yet. They seem surprisingly simple.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 19, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ferg posted:

A few of you had asked about getting access to my D&D 5th edition character sheet app that I've posted here a few times. We quietly pushed it live this week. There's still a small handful of things we're going to update this week but for the most part it's done: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.vokal.d20

If you use it and like it shoot me a PM. I'll throw any goons a promo code to remove the ads and unlock multiple characters.

Installed and purchased no ads just to provide some goonlove (widely known as the best love, except in California where it's known to cause cancer). Pretty neat!

Am I missing a way to add a custom race?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

space kobold posted:

I'm working on a 2.5d game in pure C, because I hate myself apparently.

Raycasting is fun!

It's a ridiculous amount of fun. Everyone should at least try to make one, at least once. I really think building one piecemeal over the course of a semester could be a great firstish year CS course.

But gently caress doors.

Bob Morales posted:

I like the graphics - they have a "Sam and Max" meets "Duke Nukem 3D" feel to them

At one point I had the idea of making a hyper violent fps where the main character from Math Blaster fending off an invasion of Trogs from Word Muncher. Final level would reveal the invasion was a plot by Reader Rabbit to destroy math forever.

Now I want to dig that code out.

Vvv I periodically try again. Last time I got north/south doors working, but not east/west. I'm sure I'll get it some, but still :unsmigghh:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 3, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I got bored over the weekend and started writing a Doom engine clone. Partway through I said gently caress 2.5d and now it's...Quake??

Click for bigger.

Written in XNA, because I have trouble letting go.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jo posted:

Hell yeah Doom clone buddy. :) :hf: :)

Are you loading Doom wads/maps or do you have an editor?

I'm hand-writing lists of convex sectors. :shepface:

This is still in a really early stage of development. Doesn't help that I got distracted pretty much immediately after starting on a nodebuilder. So really it's less a Doom clone at this point than something completely different that borrows Doom concepts. I was mostly enamored with how it translates a 2d level design to a "3d" world. I hope to make it progressively more Doom-like as I figure stuff out.

Eventually, I'm thinking I'll bodge together an editor that outputs my own goofy format. Not really interested in straight-up loading Doom wads.

There's also a possibility I'll Frankenstein this together with some roguelike dungeon generator code I have lying around.

I don't really have a plan.

VVV You're probably right. It'd certainly increase the chances of me actually making something playable.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 18, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Some of the editors were meant for both Doom and various Doom variants that came afterwards like Hexen and Hexxit, so they likely have some hooks to define your own stuff.

Don't forget Chex Quest and H-Doom!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

A while ago I started on a crappy Doom-like engine. I picked it back up again this past friday, and spent the weekend hacking away at it (and some incomplete and janky WAD parsing code I stumbled across on github) and made way more progress than I expected.

Using an abortive attempt at writing a level editor as a visualizer to make sure the WAD is being parsed correctly. Still have to implement the part that handles the actual BSP hierarchy, ie the most complicated part. I'm pretty happy, though, considering I spent a good part of the weekend looking at messes like this:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jo posted:

:allears: I love BUILD-style editors. In what language are you writing it?

C#. The grid window is an embedded XNA game.

The editor probably won't get too much more work until I start trying to do things real Doom editors don't support. Mostly it's just a really effective way to check my understanding of how the files work, what everything means, and so on.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bob Morales posted:

I've been pecking away at a Doom level editor to feel my way back into Mac programming. Probably should have used Swift instead of Obj-C but oh well.

It's fun playing around with the Doom specs and WAD files, feels like I'm 15 again. All the memory/pointer poo poo in C comes back pretty quick and you have to do a bunch of goofy poo poo to get palette-based DOS VGA graphics on an actual NSImage. Doom stores sprites in a goofy custom format so I was working through glitches like:

I made an incredibly half assed and mostly broken Doom renderer a while back using MS XNA. It's stupid fun to mess around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

A while back I stumbled on some goofy github project for a raycaster that renders in the console. I couldn't help myself and made an editor for it. I set it aside for a while then got The Urge again tonight (which may or may not be related to living within walking distance of a liquor store) and now I'm hooking it up to a roguelikeish dungeon generator I wrote at some other point in the past.

Chances of this turning into something playable are slim to none but I'm enjoying myself.