Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Clavius posted:

Built myself a music reference tool that can show any scale, arpeggio, chord, or chord progression, in any key, on a fretboard, keyboard or musical staff.

Built using a shitload of javascript. It's cool as gently caress and uses only pure music theory maths to build everything. It's all based off the cicrcle of fifths and key signature pattern deviations to work everything out.

Could you have scale notes colored by their sequence number on the fretboard/keyboard display?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Griffith86 posted:

working on a POS system for a company.

(my hosting)

Is this for a touchscreen? You should make all the buttons and text as large as possible-- it will make the users' lives easier.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

Not really a screenshot, but here is something I made while learning javascript/html canvas. Works best in chrome.

I accidentally left this running for 17 hours :downs:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Conway's game of life for 0x10c.

Uses stupid tricks to pretend it has a pixel device by rendering to the character font.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

Scaevolus: That's pretty spiffy. It looks like the display tiles- is that because you don't have enough characters to fill the whole screen that way?
Yeah, I only have 128 4x8 "sprites", so I just tile the display-- it's a toroidal simulation anyways.

quote:

As it so happens I've also been fiddling with cellular automata. Here's a minimalist implementation of the binary "wolfram rule" 1D systems:

Neat, though seeing this upside-down is really weird :v:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

_Gumby posted:

I wrote this when I was bored over the weekend, it takes netflow/ipfix data, uses a geoip database to determine location of source/destination ip addresses, then draws a nice little visualisation of the data traveling. Its absolutely useless, but the higher-ups at my workplace thought it was super awesome, so that's always nice..

It looks a lot nicer when its animating...

This is pretty cool. The one change I would make is centering Australia (have Europe on the left edge, America on the right), so the routes are approximately accurate.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

shrughes posted:

The king is the one wearing a dress, making it look like more of a queen to me.
Alternatively, the queen has an hourglass figure.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Surprisingly, data on the Gameboy Color is hard to find. I've been going on what I've found online, and in other emulators. I can't find any information on any new CPU instructions added for it.
The CGB CPU can run at 8MHz instead of 4MHz, but is otherwise identical.

http://nocash.emubase.de/pandocs.htm is pretty comprehensive

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

Built a TinyBASIC interpreter/REPL for a class I'm teaching to middle-schoolers.

That first screenshot is a Java executable if you give it a .jar extension. Source (Forth).

I like how your complete REPL/JIT is 800 lines.

Did you consider operator-precedence parsing? It might be more concise than the recursive descent parser

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Police Automaton posted:

multithreaded A* with some caching of results
Jump point search can give pretty impressive speedups versus A* by exploiting path symmetries.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Red Mike posted:

As some of you might know, Ludum Dare 25 is underway and nearly over, with the theme 'You are the Villain'. I've just finished and posted my game, "A Peril of Pauline's".

This would be a lot more intuitive if the junctions changed appearance instead of having a color by them.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Felayga posted:

Inspired by http://maximecb.github.com/Turing-Drawings/, I built a similar program.

The one I built allows for multiple randomly generated Turing machines to compete for the image space, as well as being more easily manipulated in general.

The image shown, as well as my avatar, are a good example of two machines competing for the display.
code:
String for the image shown:
w128h128v5i2(s4i1x91y74[4m2][5m2][5m2][1m3])(s4i2x3y110[5m3][4m1][5m0][4m1])
C# .Net source and executable are on GitHub if anyone wants to dick around with it. https://github.com/felayga/TuringRand

It could be more efficient, but I'm lazy.

This is really cool.

Loom: r5w125h125v5i2(s4i2x29y93[4m0][3m3][5m0][5m4])(s4i0x70y93[0m2][3m4][2m2][2m2])
Wipers: r100w125h125v5i2(s4i0x90y36[5m4][5m2][5m0][1m2])(s4i2x76y88[0m4][5m0][1m3][5m4])
Blight: r25w125h125v5i2(s4i3x4y19[5m2][5m4][5m4][5m4])(s4i3x123y60[1m0][5m2][1m0][1m3])
Triangles: r10w125h125v4i2(s4i1x92y50[5m0][0m1][5m2][5m1])(s4i2x91y1[5m3][4m3][5m2][0m0])
Fracture: r100w125h125v3i2(s5i3x63y22[5m0][5m1][5m2][5m1][2m2])(s5i4x19y2[0m2][4m2][5m1][5m2][0m2])
Seismograph: r100w125h125v3i2(s5i1x77y48[3m0][2m0][5m1][5m1][1m1])(s5i3x113y55[3m2][5m0][2m1][2m0][5m0])

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Mug posted:

Just a crosspost from the Making Games Megathread with a little video I recorded showing the new blood particles I added in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x81yKAc3CP8
That robot has a lot of health.
Neat! It looks like the particles come out in a straight line, maybe randomize the spread so they spray in a cone?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Dolex posted:

https://vimeo.com/65501819

I sorted Tron by brightness. Played back at 15x.

If only Vimeo had an MJPEG mode-- the encoder choked pretty hard on that!

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Buttstronaut posted:

All the Youtube/Google/Wikipedia stuff is done through their XML/JSON APIs (with string scraping and regex because I am very lazy and know regex pretty well) and I used this Wolfram Alpha API wrapper just to make my life a lot easier. All of the commands are just string scraping because, again, lazy. It's actually a super easy little project and if you're actually any good at planning ahead (read: not just slapping everything together as your friends give you ideas for new commands) then it'd probably be even easier.
Learn XPath. It's the best way to scrape content out of webpages.

Google will start throttling you once you have much volume if you're not using API keys.

Bots are fun!

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Jewel posted:

Ah neat! Yeah the only way to make my algorithm better would be an educated guess when it has no definite moves instead of random. Stuff like not picking a cell near a cluster of numbers and instead pick one furthest away from the most numbers. But even then it's still all completely chance.
That's a really cool bot. I like how it runs quickly enough to make the video feel accelerated. Your algorithm could probably be more sophisticated-- can it properly handle all these patterns?

I should finish up my Nurikabe solver sometime-- writing good heuristics for NP-complete problems is interesting.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 5, 2013

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

hendersa posted:

Mushroom platforms (seen in World 4-3, for example):

<-- Reference

PPU memory $12C0-$12DF, $16B0-$176F (14 tiles)

The middle pieces are repeated over and over to make longer platforms. This is the configuration for the shortest platform using all of the unique tiles.

This is really cool and I'm looking forward to the final result. I could see people implementing this in more common NES emulators and annotating lots more games.

For outlined sprites, it might look better if you stretched an adjacent non-black pixel along the depth edge than the outline. But the pipe top would be better black, and that requires even more sprite annotations...

It looks like there's some z-fighting in that render. Are you doing repeated floating point additions when generating vertex coordinates for each trixel? Multiplication might be more accurate.

I hope you convinced them to go with less ridiculous capes clipart.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 18, 2013

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

This really isn't a screenshot, but I just published an article today about X11.

http://magcius.github.io/xplain/article/
http://magcius.github.io/xplain/article/x-basics.html

It has kittens!
Demonstrating X11 features by embedding a Javascript X11 server in the page is an awesome hack.

Isn't XCB the sane subset of X11 features?

The stipple pattern is hard to see on high density displays like phones, but it's crazy that it even runs on phones.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

Lots of progress on my RPG! There's a field state now and you can walk around. I have a rudimentary map format, map collision, and you can bind scripts to tiles. It's starting to function like a real RPG, I'm stoked.
A little bit of shading (even just face normal based) would really help the perception of depth on those fields.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Megaman posted:

How difficult would this be to write it in c++? I've been thinking very hard about getting into solo independent game design with c++, or least just for my own learning. I develop scripts in Python every day, so do you know how hard this transition would be?

Garbage collection and memory safety saves a lot of developer time. Some performance is sacrificed, but you don't need to squeeze every ounce of it out of a system like an AAA game does.

Many indie developers choose to use Java or C# because they represent a good balance between development effort and performance.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 21, 2014

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

hendersa posted:

I've been banging away with gprof to generate timing info for callgraphs of various emulators. In most cases, I've gotten things running about 15% faster after some hand-tuning. You'd be surprised how much you can improve performance by rearranging code, moving variables outside of loops, moving variables inside of loops, and lots of other really counter-intuitive stuff. But, if you move something, profile, and see an improvement, it is a good exercise to sit down and figure out exactly why that is the case and how you can use the same trick elsewhere.
Did you have a look at gpsp? It's less mature than VBA, but has more aggressive optimizations (including a dynarec).

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

quote:

Goddamn it. And I was quite happy with Minus too. I guess I'll use attachments until I find a better host that doesn't mess with my pixels.
Imgur is good.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

I take it back, the naive algorithm I used to shuffle the player order is biased. I've replaced it with the correct one now, so that should be more fair. Good catch!
Hah, that was a question on the most recent Google Codejam Round-- determining if a given permutation is generated fairly or naively.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

hendersa posted:

- Using the "register" keyword all over the place.
:what: I thought modern compilers ignored 'register' entirely, barring GCC's register variables extensions.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Besides the gcc extension that hendersa is talking about, the standard 'register' keyword (though probably ignored by the optimizer) isn't a complete no-op - it makes it an error to take the address of the variable.

Not in C++!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Shalinor posted:

I don't suppose they're planning another edition or anything? It seems like a ridiculous oversight.

Comments from the creator:

Max Thrun posted:

The start and select buttons are handled with Up+A+B=Start and Down+A+B=Select which works okay. The other buttons for other systems are not being handled. The lack of start and select are both a result of oversight and lack of room to fit them. I originally only planned on playing gameboy + nes on this so the other systems are just extra. This project was totally designed and built in 6 weeks so there wasn't a whole lot of design time up front. If I were to ever try to actually make a product out of this I would definitely add a dedicated start and select and maybe even shoulder buttons up top.

6 weeks isn't enough time to figure out that two buttons isn't really enough :confused: