Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

ATLbeer posted:

This is the first time I've posted anything on this project but, it's finally at a point where I'm semi-OK with how it's looking and functioning (not that a screenshot needs to function but, I need it to)

The essence of the site is to aid in helping people putting together a custom built PC. The internals of the site (django based) has a highly abstracted model on how a computer fits together. Different types of interconnectors (AM2/LG755/PCI Express/etc) and understands how all the components pop together. Using this you can select one part and then wade through the other components knowing that they will all fit together properly.

I hope to have a full beta up and running by August. There's a lot of bits left but, I've just finished the 'core' functionality tonight.

I'm envious of all the ray-tracing and OpenGL stuff. I want to learn how to make pretty pictures.

Yes... this was also ironically developed on a Mac :v:

Very cool, I created something similar(though stupider, parts were just "parts", IE CPU or GPU, it didn't know how they interacted) using PyGTK, basically mine was just for checking newegg prices and other related tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
Here's my election night simulation app:

Click here for the full 1177x705 image.

all calculations run in a background process(which was suprisingly easy to implement).

if you want the code it's here; http://github.com/alex/election-sim/tree/master

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

ColdPie posted:

I'd like to file a bug: McCain has a hire percentage than Obama in that screenshot.

The percentages are determined by running 5k simulations, so occasionally you come up with less than intuitive results(such as 48v50 when each state is at 50-50), I'm going to try bumping to 10k simulations, so see how that affects it.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

Aww, is a real programming language too hard for you? *gives babby back his rattle*

yep those are the only 2 choices, horrible error messages or fake programming langauges

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

No, I mean Django literally just throws a SyntaxError exception with no information other than a stack trace.

Django doesn't throw syntaxerrors, the only thign that does is the parser/compiler.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
A webbased IRC client I did for the DjangoDash competition (48 hours with 2 other people). This is the only screenshot I have at this second.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

dancavallaro posted:

Is this open source, or are you willing to share the source? I'd love to see it if you are.

We haven't decided whether or not to open source it. You can see it deployed at http://leafychat.com/ . On the technical side it uses Django, Orbited, Twisted, and jQuery.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Atomon posted:

I'm working on DiffPaste, a pastebin with basic version tracking and side-by-side diff.

Click here for the full 951x772 image.

Click here for the full 950x768 image.

Either paste.pocoo.org or dpaste.de has that.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Ferg posted:

This looks awesome. Are you open for testers yet?

I use Chromium full-time because I roll like that, but was missing a lot of the greasemonkey features that the SALR Firefox extension gave the site. So I'm banging the features I like out myself (quote highlighting is implemented but not shown):

Click here for the full 1135x720 image.

Still a little more work to go, but it's pretty much where I want it to be.

It was up at leafychat.com, however we had to take it down because it was negatively affecting some of the other apps that were running on the server :(

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

http://typewar.com

my boss and coworker launched it a few weeks ago, now we all hack on it friday afternoons instead of doing real work

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

LOLLERZ posted:

Care to share your scoring algorithm?

The algorithm for how many points a question gives? It's just 11 - int(percentage / 10). So if a question is gotten righ t90% of the time you get 2 points for it. If you mean sorting players that's just a simple bayesian adjugested average.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

pokeyman posted:

"You are 1 points behind..."

Pluralize filter that poo poo. Awesome site though!

It'd be cool to make sans serif vs. serif comparisons rarer at higher levels too.

Hehe, good catch, I'll put in a fix for that. We're definitely working on ways to make the harder questions more common at the higher levels.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

jegHegy posted:

That's good to hear.

What I'd like to comment on is the way you offset the entire interface when a notification pops up at the top. It sure draws attention to the message, but it's hella annoying because you need to alternate between two fixed position buttons to play.

Yep, we're actually refactoring the way we handle notifications entirely so this will be fixed en passant.

Thanks to whoever submitted us to metafilter, we passed 1 million questions asked as a result!

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
For PyCon me and some friends put together a live stream of everything that's going on (twitter, flickr, github, bitbucket, upcoming talks and files)

http://pycon.djangodose.com/

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

ATLbeer posted:

Sweet! Despite being from Atlanta and literally being 3,000 yards away from PyCon I've been slammed at work and unable to go. I've been following along when I have a free chance using this.

What are you using for the back-end on the long poll?

We're using Orbited + a twisted daemon + redis.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Doh004 posted:

You guys do a lot of advanced stuff that just goes right over my head :saddowns:

Anyways:

Creating my biggest project yet in Django. It's an online Portal for my fraternity. I already have a working version with quite terrible PHP, so Django is just incredible. I'm still getting used to it, but things are already coming together.

Sup RPI goon. If you need a Djangonaut on campus feel free to email me.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

BigRedDot posted:

That's my preferred brace style, and yours somehow manages to be worse than Horstmann. :colbert:

One true style right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
Take it to LAN guys, I can only have my RPI goonery in one location ;)