Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barrackas
Aug 12, 2007
Couple of pics from my Java3D terrain program (done for my dissertation)

Hazy hills...

Stars coming out at night...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barrackas
Aug 12, 2007

Digital Spaghetti posted:

Very nice! Kinda looks like Stellarium in the night shot. What sort of FPS do you get with Java for games?
Thanks! You can actually get pretty decent framerates in J3D, but you really have to work for them sometimes when doing large meshes (like terrain). It does have some nice built-in optimisations though, I got a big boost just from the automatic frustrum culling by splitting the terrain down into patches. I wouldn't really recommend using Java3D though, the reference material online is pretty woeful.

Barrackas fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 11, 2008