Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamb-Blaster 4000
Sep 20, 2007

I'm Making a bot to automatically send rent and utility bills to my roommates every month.

It tallies the regular stuff for them- their portion of each utility, plus any house extras that need to be divided, or personal extras to account.

It gets all its information using the Excel interop COM services to read the spreadsheet for the current month, so I don't have to make my own proprietary spreadsheet program, or long ugly GUI.

More than anything this was an exercise in C# / Excel mashup. I'll definitely have other more useful applications for this knowledge in the future.

Also, just for shits and giggles it has its own email address and checks its inbox on an hourly basis.

It also continues to pester roomates that are slow on paying their bills.

Everything is automated, the GUI is just a form with a text window that displays a log of actions, and a drop down to send any roommate their bills.

Its name is bills-a-bot. :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamb-Blaster 4000
Sep 20, 2007

I made a simple interface for creating and maintaining drinking games. Each game can have any number of parent games and inherit their rules. I'm on a pretty big jQuery kick right now, so everything is ajax'd up for maximal rule creating and editing efficiency.

We used to keep our drinking games in spreadsheets, but editing rules was cumbersome. And in the case of Star Trek, we'd need to have more than one sheet open at a time and flip between them, or copy and paste rules.

Making everything a game, category or rule with the inheritance makes it really flexible, the best example of this is star trek

there's a general sci fi game, a star trek game and then a game for each series

and there doesnt need to be extra functionality for episode specific games!

the sci game has rules like 'drink when a ship explodes with fire in space'
the general star trek game has rules like 'red shirt dies'
and then tng has rules like 'deanna has camel toe'

so when you open the tng game it shows all three rules.

basic functionality is almost complete, I've added some simple css for readbility until I finish it.

pick a game or create a new one

the inherited rules and the games they're in- since an inherited set of rules is just another game, you can add rules to any parent game from any child game's page, and the same php functions can be used to output the parent games.

outputting a game's parents is just a simple recursive function that outputs a games rules and then the game's parent's rules, recursing till it hits a game with no parents.

and finally the game's rules - same as the parents. A modifier rule is a rule that is something like 'someone receives a shot: 1 drink' modifier- 'from a non medic: 2 drinks' modifiers will probably just appear indented underneath their parent rule.

or picard drinks tea '3 drinks' modifier- 'tea is earl grey: 4 drinks'

you may have noticed all my tng rules are from the classic tng drinking game.

output functionality is in 3 recursive php functions and a bunch of javascript, editing functionality is just posting to a bunch of separate php files right now, quick and dirty.

Eventually I'll password protect the editing functions so anyone can use the games without worry of messing it up.