Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I see it too, but then again I'm really, really tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I love this thread. It's always interesting to see what people are working on. My own contribution isn't anywhere near the same level as most of the projects here, but I'm quite pleased with it.

Basically, it's a small program that reads a bitmap 'save' file like this:

and turns it into a map for a small game I'm working on, that looks like this:

Click here for the full 646x514 image.

Yes, those are Advance Wars graphics. It's not just graphical, each tile holds details such as terrain type, and eventually buildings and units as well. Getting each tile to display the correct 'orientation' (corners, straight up, junctions etc.) was pretty tricky, and all the code related to loading and displaying the map is horrible messy and bloated, but I'm nevertheless pleased with the result. It's one of the most complex things I've made so far, and I've enjoyed it.

EDIT: Managed to add in bridges that the loader class automatically inserts and orientates. Also began to place restrictions on what can go where; no buildings in rivers or oceans, for example.

Is this a good place to ask other people to take a look at code, and ask for advice, or would the appropriate language megathread be more suited?

Staggy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 22, 2008

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

That looks great - I don't know exactly how you're getting the sprites, but if you're ripping them directly may I recommend http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/advwars2/index.html ?

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

It may only be a simple tile-based game, but this is the first time I've ever done stuff like A* searching and Flood Filling. It's not much to look at, but I'm pleased to be moving onto more interesting stuff than
code:
class Cat : public Animal

Click here for the full 628x506 image.

Unfortunately, there's still a weird bug with the Flood Filling whenever I start exactly two tiles above or below a wall ( but not when it's to either side ).

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

SlightlyMadman posted:

It uses roguelike perma-death (and death comes very very easily), but the trick is that you can keep playing as a survivor you've rescued, so you have strong motivation to keep them alive.

That's a really cool idea. I'm not sure how generous you're going to be with finding more survivors, but I can totally see the atmosphere getting more and more tense as the number of people left slowly dwindles. Eventually it's just the two of you, and when something goes wrong at the worst possible moment you're left wandering, totally alone.

It also opens the door to cinematic "Go on without me!"/"I'll hold them off!" moments.