Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
This is the first attempt at a program used to print the date onto an image using the EXIF data, then save it. Apparently some of the newer digital cameras no longer come with the option to place the date on the pictures. There are several similar shareware options but I felt like making my own because none of the other versions offered the flexibility that I wanted, plus, its a nice self-contained project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Alcohol Kills posted:

up next: figuring out why the gently caress my environment variables refuse to stick

"refuse to stick" in what way? In different terminal sessions? If you want the environment variables to be persistent (available from any shell at any time) then you need to define them in your ~/.bashrc file so that they are defined in every terminal instance.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

pokeyman posted:

I got a new MacBook Air and thought I could find a better use for the eject key. If you don't have a USB DVD drive connected (and I never do), the eject key does exactly nothing and cannot be easily remapped.

So I made this little app that, when you press Eject, lists ejectable volumes. You can arrow up and down and eject a volume by hitting Return. It also groups volumes by device, and you can eject all volumes on one device too. (Anyone who's been bitched out by Finder for daring to unmount one of multiple partitions on an external hard drive will understand the value here.) Works with disk images and network shares as well as external drives.

edit: Let's try Waffle.

How did you go about remapping eject?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

pokeyman posted:

tl;dr: CGEventTap with voodoo.

Very interesting, I've been trying to mess with those keys forever, but there just isn't a great deal of documentation out there. Now I need to go back and remember why I needed to modify their functionality and mess around with this a bit.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

pokeyman posted:

When the inspiration strikes you, I threw the code up on GitHub.

Awesome! I appreciate it.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Huragok posted:

I hate Matlab:

Testers welcome.

I hate Matlab too. I'd be more than willing to fiddle around with it.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Huragok posted:

Second style (all-in-one):

• Pro: cleaner, more minimalist
  • Pro: maintains the responsive layout, so that you can still use this IDE pretty well on an iPad or smaller screened devices
  • Con: while you can type shortcuts to other tabs, you still need to mouse to click back to the terminal
  • Con: looks a little empty (?)

In this layout, does the terminal disappear when you select any of the tabs on the left? I personally prefer to see the variables that I have access to and their respective sizes etc. Maybe have a split option?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Clavius posted:

Built myself a music reference tool that can show any scale, arpeggio, chord, or chord progression, in any key, on a fretboard, keyboard or musical staff.

Built using a shitload of javascript. It's cool as gently caress and uses only pure music theory maths to build everything. It's all based off the cicrcle of fifths and key signature pattern deviations to work everything out.

Shouldn't the notes change when I toggle from Treble to Bass Clef when viewing via notation? Either the text describing the notes or the position of the notes on the staff should change, right?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

steckles posted:

Spent a bit of time fixing bugs and optimizing my ray tracer. A stupid bug in my KD-Tree traversal code was causing a ~30% slow down. Likewise, scheduling jobs so that complex ones always come in an even multiple of the number of threads lead to a 10% speed up.

The only light source in the scene is the filament of the light and it's behind the glass of the bulb. Most ray tracers can't render this scene correctly.

These really are fantastic. So it looks like you have a wall behind the bulb, but there isn't really any reflection off of that it appears.

Is it possible to change the intensity of the filament glow? I guess we're just used to seeing bulbs that are so bright and this bulb has a very dim filament so maybe that's where the discrepancies come from?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Shalinor posted:

I was experimenting with butt cheeks on my pixel dudes, but the general response was "too much." It turned out kinda cute, but the aesthetic is all about clean minimalism.

(they did fit properly beneath the coat, though - would have worked fine)

In what instances would the players ever see the butt-cheeks? If only end-users understood the level of thought and effort that went into these kinds of things.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

steckles posted:

I wrote some thin film interference code for simulating soap bubbles and anti-reflective coatings. Surprisingly, it worked on the first compile. I'm 99% certain the colours are not correct, but usually when I write a new light interaction, the first few versions simply fill the screen with NaNs or sprinkle black dots all over the place.

Jesus christ! Every time you post, the renderings look more realistic. Please tell me you do this as a career. How hard is it to pick up something like this. Obviously I won't be able to pump out something like this, but I'd love to be able to better appreciate the work that goes into it.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

thelightguy posted:

A possible variant could be to let people opt in to have their stream added to the mix for other players, so it's not just the people you follow.

Plus that would make it useful as a discovery service as well, for finding streams you might like to follow.

Yeah this is a great idea. It's basically matching random hipster profile pics with images.

I agree that it needs a catchy name but stuff like Connect the Shots seems too cheesy.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

♥♠♣♦❥💔💘

drat, unicode.

Well if you're going to have Pile of Poo then you'd drat well better have these icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Angryhead posted:

This is great!
I linked it to a friend and well, there's now a Chrome extension version.

Aaaaand Something Awful just got better