Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Flight of the Bumblebee, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Here's a little game I'm working on to teach myself more about Python. It's sort of designed around half-memories of a game I played when I was wee called SimCinema Deluxe where you hired actors, wrote a little plot summary and then bought advertisements to promote your film. My version's a bit more fleshed out in gameplay mechanics, though most of them aren't fully realised yet because I've not done the filming/release part yet.

The only thing I've been completely stumped on so far is changing the font of the menubar. Still, I'm pretty pleased with it as a first 'major' project.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Been testing just how difficult it is for players with lots of money to get record-breaking movies (at the moment, not very).

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
I finished tidying up my movie simulation game. There's a whole bunch of screenshots and a download at this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718656

Edward_Tohr posted:

So, uh, it might not be quite as impressive as some of the other projects in here, but...

Should probably crosspost this to the Coding Horrors thread.

I've been working on a text game too, though not quite as complex.

It's a wee labyrinth game a couple of days ago as well and it's come together surprisingly fast.

The game generates a random maze (still need to add interface to allow the player to pick dimensions) and plops you in one corner. There's a monster that moves around the maze and will chase you if it sees you. There's no map so you have to find the exit while dodging the monster which you can hear if it's nearby. You also get encouraging messages if you're near the exit.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Been working on a wee program in Python 3 for improving my Scrabble game. The program generates an alphagram with the same probabilities of an English tileset (including blanks) and lets you know if there are any seven-letter words you can make or any eight-letter words you could make with an extra letter.

This screen shows that with the letters AEISTTU, there is one seven-letter word and four possible eight-letter words.

The possibilities reveal themselves when you guess them correctly or if you can't get it and click the buttons. The letters in curly brackets are the extra letter. With blank tiles there can be multiple letters in these brackets.

You can also type your own alphagram directly in with the Choose This Alphagram button.

I've got it set up for the SOWPODS dictionary but it would be trivial to set it up so you could choose a different one. I'm very pleased with how fast it is as well, it can analyse most racks in less than half a second.

The answers in the last screen are FOUMARTS, FORMULAS, and AUSFORMS

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!

Suspicious Dish posted:

bonus points if i can drag the letters around to rearrange them like i would in a real scrabble game

Hmm, maybe. The point of the program is to become used to and remember the alphagrams themselves so I'd want that to always be there while you're rearranging. I could maybe have some moveable tiles below the alphagram, but I'll have to think about whether it's worth it to me or not.

Fixed a bug with user-chosen alphagrams not picking up seven-letter words properly unless the user actually typed it as an alphagram. Fixed now, in my last post it should have picked up that SAFORUM and AUSFORM are a match.

Also added scrollbars for racks with lots of hits and a little message that tells you whether your guess is right, wrong, or already revealed.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Had some time off today so I went ahead and added a little tile rack you can play about with while trying to find words. Very straightforward click, drag, and drop.

Blank tiles can be clicked to make the letter on it advance once through the alphabet. When it gets to the end it goes back to the question mark and you can, if whimsy takes you, begin the cycle anew. You can right-click the tile to go back the way.

Here I have discovered the word TEASING by rearranging the tiles and adjusting the blank tiles.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!

Added some more functionality so you can see your progress with a score counter. Makes it more of a game than a tool which is nice. You can also tick the checkbutton if you want to ensure that the alphagram will always have a solution.

The score counter changes from red to green the more words you find (clicking the buttons to reveal them doesn't improve your score) which was a fun little extra thing to do.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
I've been enjoying your posts for a long time, hendersa, always really fascinating stuff. Think I've got you beat, though.

Does your software have a button for randomly shuffling the tile rack? Or revealing all solutions so you don't have to click through them individually?

Didn't think so. Boom. :cool:

Sirocco fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 15, 2016

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!

Congratulations, man! You should start posting in your project.log thread again (or make a new one) so we can keep better track of your progress.

In other news, I've studied some maths regarding probability to add a little label onto the generator. I hope I've got my maths right! I've also added keyboard shortcuts (you can hit the return key to guess a word).

Sirocco fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 28, 2016

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
I love all that low level stuff, keep it up!

A few new things, the probability indicator lets you know the specific odds of getting a rack and its relative probability compared to other racks (the colour turning from red to green the more common it gets).

You can save your progress as well now if you want to stop and try again later where you left off.

I've also made some special files for listing the most common racks (one for racks with solutions, the other with not). This listbox contains the list of most likely opening racks in order. I'll probably be adding more files for this later as I think of them. You also get a congratulatory message if you guess all words correctly.

Next on the to-do list is to maybe add a list of alphagrams with the highest number of solutions and also some help documentation.

Sirocco fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 8, 2017

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!

Top left: added some more special rack lists to the alphagram generator.

Top right: here's the racks for most solutions and I-heavy racks. I wasn't especially rigourous when calculating racks with the most solutions but logic dictates racks with two blank tiles are going to have the most so that made things quicker. I then iterated over combinations of the most frequent letters. ??AERST can be used to build 1727 seven- and eight-letter words altogether. Interestingly there's only one word with 4 or more "I"s (DIVIDIVI, a type of tree). There are only 4 "U"s so that list's built up of racks with three or more "U"s.

Bottom left: vowel-heavy on the left and A-heavy on the right. The vowel-heavy list shows all racks with 5 or more vowel tiles with solutions.

Bottom right: an example of loading a rack from the O-heavy list.

There's a help page accessible through the menu as well though it's going to need some more drafting. Next up is statistics for quick reference of useful related probabilities (most common starting letters for solutions, etc.).

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!

The program now has a green/pink theme which is vaguely reminiscent of Scrabble. I've added some new features in a Word Study menu to help with the study of useful words to complement the Special Racks menu.

One feature allows you to search for words with any particular prefix, suffix, or circumfix you like.

The other gives a quick look-up for help on studying words that begin or end with a certain letter.

Beginning to come to the close with this, not much else to add. Maybe some pregenerated lists of common prefixes and suffixes (OVER-, PRE-, UN- BE-, -EST, -NESS, -LESS, -ING, etc.) but it's trivial to type these into the Word Study anyway so maybe not. Given the very red/green theme this program has I should probably add a colourblind mode with more highly contrasting colours.

Sirocco fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 28, 2017

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!

More in-depth statistics when checking what starting- and ending-letters pair well together.

Added a second colour theme which removes the red/greenness of the standard theme for those who are colourblind, accessible with the new Options menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Came back to my alphagram game I made for studying Scrabble and did a few improvements:

You can now makes guesses for all word lengths from 2 to 8 (the eight-letter words being solutions for playing through a tile already on the board).
There's a button for going back to a previously viewed alphagram which I added at my wife's request because she kept accidentally skipping past one that took her interest.
Definition of the word appears after a successful guess (or if you give up and check the answers).

There's also a new game mode, the nine-letter word challenge. The general idea is that there's a two-letter word on the board and you've got to figure out the possible words that can be made from your rack:

There's also some study tools for nine-letter words for learning how many nine-letter words can be made through two-letter words on the board. They can be sorted alphabetically, based on the number of solutions, or the likelihood of the two-letter word being on the board.

There are some other study tools as well, I was curious to see what the most likely nine-letter words would be through two-letter words so I ran a program to score all the nine-letter words on the likelihood of the two-letter word and the likelihood of having the remaining tiles on your rack. For those interested, apparently the most likely is TRIALOGUE (a conversation involving three people), playable through AL, LO, and GU. and the least likely that is still possible is WAILFULLY (in a sorrowful manner) which is only playable through AI. Don't really know how accurate it is as I don't have anything to compare it to.

For your delectation, the 49 nine-letter words that it is not possible to play through a two-letter word on the board:

My wife's addicted to playing this now so I'm going to call that a success.