Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I am not very far into this yet, but I'm working on a Cycles renderer plugin for 3ds max.

So far I can get the camera transform (almost) set up right and render all the meshes in the scene at their correct transforms and object color (but not any real materials). I also have progressive rendering working because cycles gave that to me for basically no work.

Up next is the long slog of mapping max materials to cycles shaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Rahu posted:

I am not very far into this yet, but I'm working on a Cycles renderer plugin for 3ds max.

So far I can get the camera transform (almost) set up right and render all the meshes in the scene at their correct transforms and object color (but not any real materials). I also have progressive rendering working because cycles gave that to me for basically no work.

Up next is the long slog of mapping max materials to cycles shaders.

Small update on the progress I've made here since october.

I've rewritten basically everything as I didn't have a good handle on the max API at first. Now that I do I've been able to reogranize all my bits and bobs in a better way.

I also gave up on the effort to map max materials because that was really just a mess. I have a bad approximation of the standard material in and I'm working on building support for the native cycles material types in the max node editor.

Recently, I added the emissive material as well as support for most of Max's native texture types like bitmaps, which together allowed me to produce this art!