Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NateTheGreat
Jul 6, 2010
I'm working on an extension for Chrome that highlights trending twitter topics on any webpage and allows you to view recent tweets about them in real time by hovering over them. Tweets will appear in a small window next to your mouse, but that part isn't finished yet. Here's what I have so far:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NateTheGreat
Jul 6, 2010

mdxi posted:

From a usability standpoint, I'd suggest thinking about some kind of positive action instead of simply using onHover. Think about those lovely ads that garbagey sites uses where you get a giant popup when you're unfortunate enough to accidentally pass the cursor over a word that someone has paid for.

In your own screenshot, look how the stacked Queensland Brisbane Brisbane forms a wall that cuts diagonally through 75% of the text column. I bet that after the novelty wears off, even you will be performing pointer gymnastics to avoid triggering popups -- that's a lot of mental overhead.

Yes, this is true. I have started to realize how annoying it may be so I'm thinking of putting in a hotkey to activate it or something similar.

Jonnty posted:

That's a really good idea, and sounds pretty well executed. Let us know when you're finished!

Thanks! I definitely will, here's what it looks like so far:

Edit:

Release! https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/nkngckjdkcbickcfoeeclpncbhfpjehp?hl=en

NateTheGreat fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 17, 2011

NateTheGreat
Jul 6, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

You should hook up with that Swole guy for co-op advertising or something.

Also, you gotta show us the sweet sweet level 60+ content.

LFM spotters Gold's Gym 10 man raid pst

NateTheGreat
Jul 6, 2010
I updated my Chrome extension with a new feature, see tweets for anything!

You can download it from here