Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Thanks for being awesome and making the rest of us look bad for not being awesome. Looking forward to the project.log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Internet Janitor posted:

Just how much of a pain in the rear end is it to coax the Saturn into drawing something that seemingly straightforward?

Said they were using the slave proc, so the creator of the machine claims they're in the top 1% of all programmers.

So every pain in the rear end. The manuals are available online; the architecture is as interesting as it is completely hosed.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

munce posted:

Looks good now make virtua cop. Seriously though is that process you're using anything like the original developers would have used? Seems like it would be incredibly tedious to make a real game with.

Yeah, by all accounts the Saturn's architecture was a shitshow. It can do transparency too, but it involves extremely complicated interactions between multiple processors or something.

I've been :effort: contemplating making a Saturn thing for a long while now. Happy to vicariously experience it through Luigi 30.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Jo posted:

I _finally_ figured out an issue that's been bothering me for months. It turns out that a bug in my .fnt file brought out a bug in libGDX's calculation of newline stuff.

Now my game has a functional assembly language and CPU architecture that can control the robots and stuff. :3: I'll probably program the NPCs with it so the player can hack and repurpose them.

Still need to connect the buttons to methods, but progress is way faster now.

You mean connecting buttons to memory mapped io controllers. :science:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I could not readily tell from looking at nlua if it had any native code in it. That would be a problem for Unity, for example.

I should probably shut up though because I am basically handwriting a C# green threading Python 3.6 interpreter. So I share the same kind of mental disorder...

I’ve integrated and shipped native DLLs in unity to mobile platforms. Where would it be a problem?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

teen phone cutie posted:

as an attempt to never have to do a live coding interview ever again, I wanted to do a personal project that will allow me to say "no i will not do your algorithm interview but i have something that can prove i can do the job. hire me if you want or not"

So i'm halfway done it. Made an entire forums software backend using SA as the reference with some additional features like notifications/mentions, etc. Currently building out the front-end in https://remix.run/

https://docs.basementcommunity.com

I don't think this will do the thing you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Athas posted:

I really like the retro look of terminal graphics and I wanted to see whether blitting terminal codes was fast enough for real-time applications. So I wrote an interactive Mandelbrot fractal explorer:

The main trick is using a box drawing character and separate foreground/background colours to get square pixels in the terminal. It's probably a well known trick, but I was quite pleased when I figured it out. Performance is surprisingly good even when you increase the "resolution" by decreasing the font size, although obviously not nearly as good as with proper pixel blitting. Still, I'll probably continue using this technique to run visualisations on machines I can only access via text mode SSH.

Code is here: https://git.sr.ht/~athas/tui-mandelbrot

Just use sixel