Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
I hate Matlab:

So I'm developing a numerical processing tool IN THE CLOUD:

Testers welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Give me a mail at tristan / seditious-tech.com. Twitter Bootstrap is a godsend for developers while designers are off poncing around.

Huragok fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 19, 2011

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Scaevolus posted:

How does this compare to Sage notebooks?

I haven't heard of Sage before (this is an spinoff of my phd research) but from what I've just looked at there are a few interesting things I think. It's kind of a fusion of Matlab and Github. There are built-in functions on the backend that utilise parallelized native (well, CLR) stubs. If it's not in there, you can pull someone else's public toolbox into your VM and use that. Same for data.

The interactive stuff is pretty neat and functions like a JS terminal would. The big thing is that mobile is getting huge these days and burning cycles on the mobile to do 'big data' is a no go. So (soon) you'll be able sync your data to the MATLAB CLOUD and run whatever calculations you need and pull the result out.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
So what I've coined cloudlab has been going great lately. Say you have an app that makes JSON data:

You go ahead and store it in cloudlab. It shows up in your workspace along with all your other data and processing tools (called "iPhone 3GS Data" in this example):

Now you want to create a tool that gets the duration of the data recording session:

Say you want to interactively process your data, fire up an interactive session, load the data and the tool and process the data:

It's still a fair way to go but we're almost at minimum viable product once we optimise, smooth the edges and implement a few other features.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Well, save for a few minor features/tweaks, documentation, benchmarking and some JSON API stuff, we're almost ready for a beta launch of our JS-based numerical processing service. A really neat test of it's capabilities was performed a few days ago: we took some accelerometer data from an iPhone, uploaded the JSON to the service, passed it through a natively-bound fft() and graphed the frequency components of the signal.

Anyway, a question relating to IDE design. We've got two concepts (below) and both have their pros and cons.

First style (side-by-side):

• Pro: uses all the screen real-estate
  • Pro: you can see local variables and your tools/data on the right while coding/writing
  • Con: kills the responsive layout deployed across the rest of the site
  • Con: looks cluttered and junky

Second style (all-in-one):

• Pro: cleaner, more minimalist
  • Pro: maintains the responsive layout, so that you can still use this IDE pretty well on an iPad or smaller screened devices
  • Con: while you can type shortcuts to other tabs, you still need to mouse to click back to the terminal
  • Con: looks a little empty (?)

I like the second one better, but I feel that the first is more familiar to desktop IDE users. Suggestions?

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Mental Filler posted:

As long as you can switch easily to the other tabs for looking stuff up I don't think the first layout has any particular benefit.

Yeah, I like the contrast of white on black too, so I made it a configurable shell preference.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

In this layout, does the terminal disappear when you select any of the tabs on the left? I personally prefer to see the variables that I have access to and their respective sizes etc. Maybe have a split option?

Yes. So say you call a function that graphs some data, it switches to the graphing pane. I was thinking of a toolbar up the top that has a button/popover combination. The locals tab shows your VM vars which you can explore OS X style.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
I did a quick 'n' dirty javascript benchmark with https://cloudlab.io today. It turns out that the CLR-bound math is faster than the latest browsers. That's a good thing, and I haven't even begun optimization. But then again, homebrew benchmarks can be wrong. That and I'm sure that those js arrays are sparse ones (which would be inferior, discounting all that JIT poo poo).

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

A thread came up on GBS that does a roulette on Imgur. I made it iOS-friendly and wrapped it up in an app using PhoneGap. Since it would totally not get through the App Store review process, you can grab the xcodeproj on GitHub.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
I had a random thought a day ago about search engines and spent a few hours doing it. I present Avina:

Basically, it's kind of like a crowd-sourced search engine. Users (optionally) install a browser extension that simply POSTs the url/referrer/title of any site that they view. The only uniquely identifying characteristic of the submission process is that your IP is logged (for blacklisting later on if you poo poo it up with spam). The layout is pretty simple right now:

- The search bar filters on titles at the moment with a simple relevance search
- The number of click-throughs from Avina to the site is the second column
- The number of times people have navigated to this url is shown in the rightmost column (# of times submitted)

There are a number of other cool things I can think of to implement like graphing the url/referrer into a map of sorts, but overall I'm pretty chuffed with a few hours work.

If you want to help, just install the browser extension (Safari, Chrome - top right corner in the navbar) and help me populate the database with more results. You need Javascript enabled to make it shine. You can look at my lovely source over on GitHub.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

A guy in this thread was talking about some kind of mapping web app. I couldn't help myself so I had a stab at it :iamafag:

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

So I started trying to learn more about Simple.Data and decided to work on a pretty solvable problem - SH/SC & CoC job listings. It's a pain to wade through threads and listings are often forgotten about and filled. So I made GoonJobs. Right now, you can advertise a job or advertise yourself for hire and get in contact with the other parties. You can also save jobs for later. Listings expire after 60 days. Newest jobs go up on the front page. There's still a bit of work to be done doing searching by relevence but it's not bad for a few days of work I think.

It uses BrowserID for authentication, Gravatar for profile information and PayPal for payments (wish we had Stripe down under). To prevent spam shittery, I built in a payment/account activation system. The following codes are valid for a free account activation.

2c501d0e0e , 0b8ccebf8f , bd47b4f7d2 , f30016ee8f , 07b973f72a , d09b089ace , 2d1d8a6f89 , b496ca030b , 260dde67ac , 917fcb9546

Not sure it has any merit for job finders here, but it was a good learning experience for me. Criticism very welcome!

Huragok fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 9, 2012

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

I highly suggest you increase your line-height and Google for "CSS grid framework". Use some color in your work, and use font weights, colors and sizes to show a hierarchy of information.

Even though every man and his dog uses it, try looking at Bootstrap if only for its grid system, or even http://960.gs/

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Just an update on GoonJobs:

The site is fairly browsable on the iPad, but it horribly sucks for the phone. So I started on an iPhone app today which should suffice. This is the root view:

The rest of the screenshots can be found in this album. I'm half-thinking of buying a few banner ads but I'm not sure if the volume of job-finders on SA is enough. Suggestions?

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Gnack posted:

On a semi-unrelated note, anyone know of anything like Stripe that is available in Australia? Some way down the track I'll be needing to accept payments from people through my project and I'm not sure where to start - would appreciate some first-hand impressions if anyone has anything to offer?

There isn't one, but Pin looks promising.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

MrBadidea posted:

I don't want to piss on your bonfire here... but have you seen EMDR? I myself did some work around it a few months ago, along with a few other people, but those projects all seemed to have vanished. As I was behind the curve compared to the other projects, I stopped working on it, but I'm considering going back to it now that everybody else seems to have shut up shop.

That's pretty rad. Want to make a tool that tells me how to invest my isk like a fund manager? :v:

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Pfhreak posted:

Here's the ugly map with a colonist (green square) carrying some steel to go build a brick press!

Please tell me it's based on Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

Git and Users.

And usability.