Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

duck monster posted:

theres a dot net version of fuse. If its anything like the linux version, its probably awesome.

I've heard of a couple different bindings to FUSE for Mono on Linux; but nothing to implement a userspace filesystem in Windows. What were you referring to here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Intel Penguin posted:

And how exactly are you training medics with this?

Combat medics learn to stabilize and triage. They're not learning surgery here, they're learning the steps necessary to stop someone from dying on the battlefield when, for example, their leg has been blown off.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
His original screenshot was fine, in my opinion. The logo doesn't need to line up with the data entry fields. :mad:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
My latest project:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Supervillin posted:

That's awesome, I'd love to see that in action when it's done-ish.

I'll be doing binary/source releases when its more complete.

If you're brave enough to handle a completely unprepared, not cleaned up drop of the project, I've zipped it up in its current state and put it up in its current state for download.

The download includes a compiled EXE, but there's no installer to verify you have the required XNA prerequisites, so you're on your own getting that all set up if you want to actually run it. (If you do get it running -- arrows keys to move, space to jump, control to fire, and 'R' to restart the level.)

Also be forewarned the code is nowhere near good yet. This is my first 'serious' XNA project, and I've already learned I have some significant refactoring I'll need to do at some point.

ColdPie posted:

If you're just doing this for fun/education, consider creating a binary file format for your maps and a map editor. I had a really fun time creating the map file format for my game, and map editors designed for your game are generally easier to work with than text files. As your project gets more complex, you'll probably need to represent information in ways that text files can't provide anyway.

I plan on it. Loading in from a text file is just an interim solution that's just a step up from my original interim solution which was 'hard code creation of all the objects needed for my test stage'.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 26, 2009

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

ColdPie posted:

it just seems simpler to me to just write your own binary format and load it straight into memory instead of embedding a full-fledged grammar parser into your executable.

Loading a binary blob directly into memory isn't an option with XNA -- at least, not if you want your code to be XBox 360 compatible.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

why the hell do you think that. the whole xnb system is binary

edit: just looked it up and you can definitely use System.IO.FileStream on the 360

Reading and parsing a binary file is not the same as loading in a binary blob, plopping it into memory, and just using it as-is; which is what ColdPie was talking about.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

Is D a common language for game dev? I've barely even heard of it.

D isn't a common language anywhere.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I've always found tracing down semantic garbage a lot easier than tracking down memory leaks in unmanaged languages. Just attach a memory profiler, take three snapshots, see what was new in #2 that survived to #3; along with an easy to read diagram showing how it stayed rooted. I don't think I've ever run into a leak that's taken more than 15 minutes to pinpoint; which is certainly not something I can say for a language where you're more or less responsible for freeing memory yourself. Valgrind will tell you where something was allocated, but it's a bit less useful in tracking down why you didn't free it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
You can get an SSL certificate for free from startssl.com.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Shalinor posted:

Dang, this is slick. Really want to play Populous with that map.

My thoughts immediately went to how a Worms-like game would be on a spherical map like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Jo posted:

Honestly, I think imgur's encoder is making GBS threads itself inside out at the moment. Or maybe a Chrome update has hosed my video decoding because all MP4s are playing like poo poo on there now.

Recent dev/beta builds of Chrome enabled hardware accelerated video decoding, which has been resulting in a lot of badly decoded/corrupted videos for me at least (on a GTX 1080). I recommend disabling it via about :flags, look for "Hardware-accelerated video decode".