Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
^^^ holy loving poo poo that is awesome

I'm making this dinky little 2d level editor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Oh my god those boxes are so cute :3:

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

Reminds me a little of the SuperCrateBox clone I started but never finished a few years ago

Those boxes are not as cute they barely even have eyeballs :colbert:

3/5

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I don't know the first thing about any of that stuff, but now I wanna make the pretty water too :saddowns:

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Baloogan posted:

just go get a hose and gently caress up your back yard

man you entirely exist in a fluid dynamics sim, drat

Real life water just wouldn't be the same.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Haha that's awesome. I'd like to see pictures when you mount the pcb and screen on the cartridge too!

Also when you inevitably hit up the game shop to buy cartridges in bulk and the cashier asks what you are going to do with all of them, I like to request that you give him a startled 1000 yard stare and then mumble like crazy to yourself while avoiding further eye contact until you leave the store. Thanks in advance.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Good point... I hadn't considered thaf, nevermind then!

Cool stream though. I'll have to check it out after work.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

hendersa posted:

On the bright side, I did get that Christmas present that I've been wanting for the past few years:

Dr. hendersa! :science:

Fukken sweet. Now I wanna a PhD diploma too! But I don't want to work on groundbreaking research for 4-6+ years with little pay. That's too much work for me. :(

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Holy crap, you're the X11 explained guy? You were on hacker news a few months ago. Sweet.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I made a small Angular app to let people disassemble Intel 8080 CPU binaries online...

http://8080dasm.slackerparadise.com

I'm not sure how this would be useful to anyone, but it's letting me learn Angular and about emulators at the same time. v:shobon:v

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I've been working on this thing from a couple months ago when the Switch shortage was in full swing and I suddenly wanted to be able to play old video games while lying down. I bought a Raspberry Pi and now I'm trying to turn it into a portable gaming device:

It started with just a tiny 1.8" LCD screen:

Then I moved on to speakers:

Here I'm putting in a simple LM386 amp circuit I found on the internet.

The screen and speakers working. This was before I dropped in an I2S stereo decoder.

Here's a short video with the sound. The stereo decoder (I was using PWM output directly from the raspberry pi before) is leagues ahead in clarity and volume. It's hard to hear in this video though..

And last week I made a controller using an arduino pro micro and some crappy push switches. It connects to the raspberry pi through USB.

https://imgur.com/P1eOwXz
Here's the whole thing in action so far. Needs better buttons, thumbsticks, and a battery. After that it's time to put it on a single PCB. And then after that I'll need to get myself a 3d printer I guess.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Yeah it probably would be easier. I tried going to modular and "semantic" route because if I went directly into the GPIO I'd have to use a driver to bind the buttons to keystrokes. I figured that it would be simpler at the user end if I could just get my buttons recognized as one gamepad. That's turning out to be not entirely true, so basically I'm just using this as an excuse to over engineer everything :shobon:

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Oooh nice. Is there any chance that your talk will be recorded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

hendersa posted:

RGC doesn't provide anyone to record the panel sessions. There isn't any rule against recording them, as long as you get the consent of everyone attending the panel. I'd have to supply my own camera and find someone to do the actual recording for me.

Oh I see. That sounds like a huge ordeal. Don't worry about it! I'm not in the area but that sounds like a very cool talk. Good luck!