Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?
Ran across why the lucky stiff's github code repo, and found his Shoes graphic API project. Decided to wrap my current Go related project with it. Very slick and easy to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

Zakalwe posted:

Very interesting project. I've heard that group identification and determining if a group is alive is a pretty difficult problem.

Also, did black have three stones here?

Yeah, group tracking was an interesting problem to tackle. You have to check liberties of groups, check if it's a suicide move, merge existing groups, etc. I added the colorization option so I could identify that it was behaving correctly. Trying to debug from a console can be too much of a pain sometimes.

As for the above game. Black captured 3 stones, is that what you mean? The game itself was an even match I just finished today on the Dragon Go Server. Lost by 10.5, sigh.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

Inquisitus posted:

Looks interesting. You've inspired me to start my own Go project; I've been working on it all day :)

Out of interest, is this a client or a standalone program you're creating?

Also, how do you track groups across turns? If two groups get merged, do you just arbitrarily dispose of one and expand the other?

This is one of several stand alone Go relaed projects, although I haven't worked on it since posting that screenshot. I just released the Ruby SGF parser as an open source project this week, but I haven't tested all cases yet (and stuff like node branching doesn't work at all). Check http://kantan-sgf.rubyforge.org/ if you are interested.

As for group tracking: It was more complicated than I originally thought, but my algorithm seems to work well. I used the Shoes interface to visually verify that it was working as I thought, since console and/or text output was a pain to debug in this case. I read a little about how GnuGo handles groups in the past, then created my own version based on how I thought it'd work out.

I have a high level GroupTracker object, and a lower level StoneString object. The Board object receives moves from the players and does a pre-check with the GroupTracker to see if the move is a suicide (assuming "no suicide" is flagged). It then checks if the move is adjacent to a verticle/horizontal stone/group of the same color, which are tracked by StoneStrings.

If nothing is adjacent, it registers a new StoneString at that point along with it's open liberties. If something is adjacent, it adds the stone to the existing StoneString and merges the liberties. Finally, if it connects two groups it merges the groups and their respective liberties together. If a group has it's last liberty removed by the opposite color, the StoneString is deleted and the number of prisoners is returned.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
My latest project: OpenTNL + TCOD. I finally got the clients ghosting today!

I can happily WSAD my little named @'s around the screen, and chat. This is only the beginning of a very long road.

Edit: Supplied links to libraries.

Azazel fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 27, 2009

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

Boner Wad posted:

What's the little red lock looking circle thing in the upper right corner of your menu bar?

http://www.viscosityvpn.com/

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

NoDamage posted:

Crossposting from the iPad Apps & Games thread. I ended up writing a recipe manager for the iPad after not finding any that I liked.

Wow, that is extremely slick and professional looking. Very well done.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

My space survival / defense game I am developing. Should be release ready for both Android and iPhone sometime next month.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

Foiltha posted:

How are you handling simultaneous development for both platforms? Are you using something like Unity?

Yeah, I am using Unity3d with Sprite Manager 2.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

jarito posted:

I'm not a big PHP guy, but it seems that people that are doing real PHP development are using a framework like CakePHP.

http://cakephp.org/

Should be more like you are used to with the WebForms / MVC stacks.

Ugh. While your intentions might be true, I'll echo other sentiments and point out that this is a horrible framework. If you just want to bang out a small 10 user app in a half day then it'll be fine, but if you care anything about performance stay the gently caress away from it. If you absolutely have to use a PHP framework (vs. another language or no framework) and performance is critical I'd actually suggest the Yii framework, which is decent to work with and one of the most performant PHP frameworks out there.

Keep in mind I absolute loathe PHP, and think it's a horrible pieced together hack of a language. The only reason I am throwing this information around is because over here in Japan every web/social game company that exists uses the standard LAMP stack "because Yahoo does", and I have yet to meet any company in this realm that uses a web language outside of PHP or Perl.

Put CakePHP at the bottom of your potential PHP framework lists, and do everyone else a favor and tell them the same.

Edit: I should add that it was "suggested" to me on one of the social games I was lead on that we use CakePHP. I wasted so much time trying to make that stupid framework performant it drives me into a blind rage. You can always scale your servers out, but to achieve the same benchmarks as raw PHP you need roughly 2-4'x more servers in your cluster. It's ridiculous.

Azazel fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 8, 2012

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

Deus Rex posted:

wait… are you saying in Japan nobody uses Ruby for web programming? :aaa:

As far as I am aware. Surely there's edge cases, I've met my Japanese clone and he's a Ruby fanatic himself. But every place I've worked at or visited was very resistant to using anything but PHP. I did write a small smartphone score API in Ruby, but then the company buckled before the system went live :suicide:

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

MononcQc posted:

I've posted screenshots of a few Erlang projects and metrics I had before in here, and some of you may have been aware I was working on a book for the last few 3 or 4 years.

It's now officially out. If I can allow myself to spam a bit, you can get it 40% off, including free ebook copies (DRM-free copies, that is, in PDF, .mobi, and ePub) at http://nostar.ch/erlang_promo. Apparently the 40% off remains for the week after so you can go grab other books for a cheaper prize than usual after that.

drat, I had no idea that was written by someone here. Congratulations on the official release.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

Mug posted:

I'm just gonna straight-up crosspost this from the Making Games Megathread because I know some people in here have been paying attention to what I've been working on as well.

I just want to show you guys something that I've poured my heart and soul into for the past year exactly.

I hope you enjoy this video I made to introduce you to something I hold dear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqlveWIhCFI

Absolutely brilliant. Keep up the great work, I'm sure a lot of us would love to give it a try.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

SupSuper posted:

All my games run on glorious Arial. :v: Despite the amount of free fonts out there, finding the right one and getting it to fit and look right is a nightmare. Specially when you find one that is 99% what you want but it's got a few peculiarities that just ruin it.

That's the truth. Bought a 10k font pack last year for cheap, and couldn't for the life of me find one that worked. gently caress it, Arial for life.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

ambushsabre posted:

I wrote a one liner to tell me how many twitter followers I have whenever I start a terminal, without having to use the lovely twitter api:

I like your motd there. Could you post a snippet somewhere for that?

Edit: Ah, a tool called "archey" with the -c option for colors. Got it.

Azazel fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 18, 2014

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I can't take credit for the client programming and programmer art (I'm the server programmer/infrastructure guy), but my good buddy has been making a lot of progress on our game "Slammers". Eventually this art will get swapped out by our professional Japanese artist who is helping us during her free time.

Physics based billiards-like monster smashing dungeon crawl!

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
Sorry, not a screenshot, but here's a video of my game in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6oBrkVtR1c

Still about 2+ months of development to go before release.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
The game my buddy and I have been working on is officially released! So happy.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon-slammers-drop/id962292082?ls=1&mt=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001

take boat posted:

I played a few games of this, it was fun! Congrats on releasing.

Thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

We have an update coming out which makes it slightly easier in the beginning as well as longer game play times.