Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

My little platform-independent hex editor which supports Python scripting (and other scripting languages), a sweet plugin API, and other random stuff other hex editors don't have. You can find version 1.1.0 here. Version 1.2.0 will be released in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

Plastic Jesus posted:

Dude, Hexer is awesome. I only learned about it a week or so ago (from Havlar's blog) and so have a lot to learn still, but it rocks. Thanks for making hex editors not suck.

BillWh0re posted:

This looks amazing. Eventually, every useful program will be scriptable in Python.

gibbed posted:

This is neat, but it doesn't like it when I open large files. The structure viewer is also neat but it needs to be intergrated with the actual file display rather than a seperate window.

Thanks for your replies guys. If you're getting the out of heap space exception, that's because Java by default only allocates 64 MB for each process. One solution is to create a batch file that runs Hexer with "java -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -jar Hexer.jar". Another solution is to use the context menu in Windows Explorer (which you can enable in the settings). I hope that in one of the next versions I'll get to change file loading so that only the visible part of the file is loaded. This should cut down the memory needs drastically.

Adding the structure viewer to the hex windows makes sense. The file statistics stuff should probably be added there too.

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

gibbed posted:

Are you reading the entire file into memory? Because if you are, even 256MB won't help with the files I'm trying to open.

Yeah, I am reading the entire file into memory.

There are two main problems that need to be solved before I can move to something less memory-intensive. The first requirement I have is that I need to support undo/redo which gets tricky if you don't load the entire file into memory since you have to keep track of deletions/insertions and their effect on addresses/the file. The other requirement is that whatever the solution to the first requirement is, it needs to be totally transparent to people who write plugins and scripts. For plugins and scripts the whole thing needs to behave exactly like a flat array of bytes.

Anyway, other hex editors have solved this problem too so I'll probably find a decent solution. It's planned for one of the next three updates.