Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001
Slight cheat, since I've just stopped working on it (released yesterday):

iPhone app that lets you view photos from a bunch of different online sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001
We're doing the official site for the presidential debate commission. This includes a flash app (and extensive backend server infrastructure) that allows you to record your views on a variety of topics, compare them to the candidates, as well as the rest of the USA.

You can drill down into some fairly detailed stats, but I think it's fair to say that so far MySpace's demographic isn't a representative slice of the USA.

We'll also be carrying the live streams, and hosting a shitload of post-debate clips.

The tech is kind of interesting... we're dynamically generating AS3 code from erb templates on the backend, compiling it, and serving up SWFs which are dynamically linked into the runtime.

Our Akamai cache bill is going to be hilarious.

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001

Sagacity posted:

Could you elaborate some more on that? It seems...unusual :) (but interesting, yes)
So, there's a core "player" app, which contains all the important stuff, but no UI. The UI for each "page" is retrieved by hitting a merb controller, which reads an XML file, runs it through erb, pipes the result to the AS3 compiler, and serves up the resulting SWF. The SWF is loaded into the main application, and the page is displayed. (Naturally, there's some hashing/caching going on so the compilation only occurs if the source changes). The XML files are "sort of" like mxml, in that they contain primarily layout information as well as snippets of AS3 code, but it's based around our own system - which allows us to do a lot more cool stuff. The nice thing is that when you're working on a single page, recompilation is really fast - our last app had about 100K lines of code, and changing the tiniest thing took forever.

Cool... hope the video player doesn't crash.
\/\/\/\/

ImDifferent fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 26, 2008

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001

Hubis posted:

this seems pretty sexy. I'll do my best to help crash your precious snowflake system tonight (i.e. using it and futzing around during the debates)
Good god man... you're not supposed to use it! That'll break it for sure.

csammis posted:

Sweet, now I know where I'm going to watch the debate tonight :)
I should warn you that there are going to be live questions/votes pushed out to the player. If you are easily annoyed by something scrolling up from the bottom of the window asking you if you think abortion rocks or not, then best to get the feed elsewhere. Hopefully they won't be too invasive though.

Edit: Phew. Well, that's over and my code didn't kill anybody. I consider that a win.

ImDifferent fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 27, 2008

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001

http://www.magnifeast.com

Los Angeles online food delivery/carryout website - 500+ restaurants and counting! Built by myself and two other ex-videogame industry folks over the past few months.

It's a blend of merb, couchdb, ruby, and some rather esoteric javascript systems on the client-side - all running on EC2. Still technically "beta", but now open to the public.

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001

shrughes posted:

This is a multithreaded echo server running with an epoll loop on each thread.
How does the multi-threading figure in? I take it you're not creating a thread per connection - otherwise you wouldn't be that much better off than just using blocking sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001

shrughes posted:

There are a fixed number of threads (probably the number of cores or twice that number) and connections are assigned randomly to a thread.

This is completely going to bottleneck on the network connection, even if you ran it on one CPU, of course.

Cool cool.