Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Don't have a picture because it's command line based and I'm not at work right now, but I wrote a program that queries our Autodesk (AutoCAD) licensing servers for current users of the various Autodesk programs every three minutes and records the results in a MSSQL database.

It then generates reports based on usage by user, location, product, etc. We have many licenses and they're used worldwide by various separate sub-companies of ours, so now we'll be able to bill each company yearly for the amount of licenses they actually use on a day to day basis instead of an educated guess.

I learned a lot doing it, I'm still in college and and am interning at this company. They pretty much tasked me with doing this and I learned Java / SQL connectivity and some other cool stuff.

I've also done some Visual Basic programs that interface with Microsoft Dynamics SL and the SQL database to allow users to attach files (like specification sheets for example) to inventory items and other things like that.

Pretty fun summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

I'm writing a movie database program. The user can do a lot of things, like edit fields and search by fields.This is extended with a context menu; for example, right clicking an actor lets you select "Other movies with this actor", which fills in the query automatically for you.

So you're saying big deal, tons of programs do this. Why reinvent the wheel? Well, this program also scans a directory, queries all of the folder names in that directory against IMDB, parses, and stores the information in a database along with a cover of the movie. It's pretty accurate too, out of a list of 200 movies, 196 were accurate, and 3 of the inaccurate ones were asian movies. Not too bad. When it does get it wrong, it's very easy to see other possible matches and pick the correct movie.

Alright, that's pretty cool, but again, a lot of programs can do this with a text list of movie names, which comes to the main reason I'm writing this program. It stores a path to the folder in the database, and you can launch all of the movie files in that directory, queued in order, with a single button press. There was a program long ago called Dirty Pirate that did this (and was written by a goon also), but IMDB has changed how they store information and parsing has been broken with it for several years. My layout is very similar to Dirty Pirate (so's the name :v:), but in my opinion, improved.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

fletcher posted:

This is AWESOME! Where's the link to download??

Not quite ready for release yet, I'm still working on this. This coming week is my Spring Break, so hopefully I'll be able to have a first version released by then so I can start working out some kinks/bugs I'm not seeing as well as add user suggestions. If you want to request something specific here, I could start to implement it now (if I like your idea :v:)

I'll make a thread about it once it's at that point :)

ndrz fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 12, 2009

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

fletcher posted:

Awesome!

One feature that came to mind is keeping track of how many times and when the last time a file was viewed, that way you can easily keep track of what episode you're on in a TV series, or see a list of movies you haven't seen in awhile.

Also, being able to click on an actor/director and browse other things you have by that person would be awesome.

From my first post:

quote:

This is extended with a context menu; for example, right clicking an actor lets you select "Other movies with this actor", which fills in the query automatically for you.

This isn't really meant to support TV series (yet.. that might come in a future release though), but that's a great suggestion for (if) when I add support for that. It's been added to the list. Thanks

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

tofufish posted:

This looks amazing, Ive been looking for a decent program like this for quite a long time. Anyway for us to keep updated on the updates/release time? Do you have a link to that other manager you were talking about?

It's very close to release now. I was slacking off on it because of school and Street Fighter IV, but I picked it up a few days ago and did some good stuff. All of the functionality is there, I'm currently re-engineering some of the stuff to make more sense since it is an open source project. Also working on getting as many bugs as I can fixed before the initial release.

So to answer your question, soon :)