Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

Video from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1P_B65XW4I

Most of the work has concentrated on Spiders, although I'm currently extending the simulation to cover creatures of similar morphology (body close to ground, legs in parallel), such as insects and lizards.

Very nice and creepy as hell.

monsterland fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Ah, what the hell. This is from various stages of [ongoing] development of our game "Shelter", a post-apocalyptic RPG.

It is kind of a mod, since it overwhelmingly uses graphics assets from Fallout:Tactics, but it has nothing to do with Tactics actual executable or data formats. The resemblance to Fallout interface is purely intentional and has nothing to do with it being an "addon" to a FO:T executable.

Youtube - "Atmosphere" teaser from last year, narrated by my cousin, who is the other 50% of development staff.

Youtube - 9-minute continuous intro+gameplay trailer (sound required for intro).

Gametrailers - higher quality version of above video.

monsterland fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 11, 2008

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Entheogen posted:

how long did it take you to assemble all the sprites and put them in game like that?

It's hard to say, as the renderer has been evolving parallel with everything else. The project picked up speed in 2005, but it existed for a good 5 years before that in a state of... flux.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

OneEightHundred posted:

You might want to make sure it requires Fallout Tactics in some way to avoid getting C&D'd. Supposedly Interplay's a rotting corpse right now, but they're still aggressively enforcing IP ownership.

Already thought of that - the fact that it won't be downright distributed with FO:T assets is mentioned both in the FAQ and in the description of all of its Youtube trailers.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

It's a Fallout-influenced CRPG currently using sprites from Fallout: Tactics. However it is really not a replica of Fallout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1aw_86FXkY

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Mr. Fish posted:

Looks super sweet.

Thank you :)

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Strumpy posted:

[timg]
I'm making a 3d space trading game atm, I want to make most of the assets procedural so that I don't have to worry to much about art and stuff. Here is my first pass at a planet shader / procedural cloud generation.

Things still left to do:
* Make the terrain texture procedural
* Multiple cloud layers
* Randomly generate planets based on heuristics

I'll post the results when I'm done!

ELITE was procedural, so its very inspiring to see someone take the same type of procedural content generation to the next level - now that a lot more of it is required for 3D accelerators and fancy poo poo.

Really, this is a very interesting project !

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

EDIT: (changed screenshot)

INTERFERENCE is new video of my Fallout-influenced isometric project showing our new travel map and a random encounter blatantly copying a famous scene from Fallout 2.

Previous videos:

Early Continuous Gameplay

Character Build Prototypes

monsterland fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 25, 2010

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Still working on my game which loads FO:T graphics as placeholder.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

My project, written from scratch in Visual C, continues.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Ahem.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Epic trailer.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It makes me happy when I see games that use text as a conscious design choice, as Monsterland seems to, and not just because art is hard or for street cred.

Thanks, Blue Footed Booby and Tw1tchy. I tried to make Monsterland intuitive. When you run low on health, your "P" changes color and starts "bleeding". When in tank, it starts to "smoke" before blowing up.

Combat is realtime, WASD moves, numpad shoots in 8 directions. There are a few items, like axes (to make boats, and for instant melee wins) and boats to get over water. And boots to get over toxic swamp. And I'm working on torch. And possibly reintroduction of gold.

It used to run in real textmode, but Windows Vista+ disabled that ability in the OS, so now it uses emulation via OpenGL.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

ynohtna posted:

Can you please remember to implement an alternate set of shooting keys for us laptop-jockeys who don't have numpads?

Redefining keys is halfway complete. However I have trouble imagining you using IJKLUON. combo to aim in 8 directions...

You may actually be crippled into 4 directions because nothing except numpad allows for this 8-directional finger placement.

MLand also allows to aim with mouse X-axis movement rotating the cursor around P, but laptops don't often come with mice, either.

This is a problem.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

floor is lava posted:

I remember seeing this game somewhere a year or so ago. I also remember reading something along the lines that this was some project you worked on in high school with a friend and as far as I could tell you stopped working on it. It's good to see it's still in dev.

I know this will sound insane, but we're adding scripted objectives and redoing the campaign, and then planning to sell it for an extremely low price. It has 2-player coop and deathmatch (peer-to-peer TCP/IP, so LAN or being in the same city is best), saving/loading, tanks (that are controllable similar to the cannon car in Gears of War co-op mode), replay recording and playback, and is probably the only game with unsanctioned reproduction of Doom's BFG weapon.

After seeing VVVVVV, made by one guy, get away with CGA-level graphics, we want to try and sell something that is not all too far removed from that. That's why the project's been resurrected.

monsterland fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 2, 2010

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

h_double posted:

That looks awesome and I want to play it.

It's sort of funny that in the trailer for an ASCII game, you go out of your way to explicitly make the protagonist a man.

Thank you.

It's funny, but despite lack of graphics, the player's death and hurt sounds are still gender-specific :)

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

I pretty much finished the level/scripting editor for Monsterland...

Click here for the full 964x732 image.

monsterland fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 8, 2011

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Initially, it was. You could see the realtime lighting running and shimmering portals. But it was written for DOS, and in Windows it was easier to write one from scratch.

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

In Monsterland, you can save anytime. Nowadays, it's a feature!

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

<== Monsterland now sports a hybrid tile/text look and a Fallouty text window. Among other things.

monsterland fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 30, 2011

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

TJChap2840 posted:

What did you code this in?

Free Pascal and SDL(GL).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

monsterland fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 4, 2012