Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

Richard Noggin posted:

A command line version of Windows Update written in C# using wuapi.dll. This allows me to script updates as part of the build process for the machines we sell. I whipped this up last night, it's based off my original version which was in VBScript. I have to clean up the text and add the command line args - this was more of a proof of concept and my first time using Interop in .NET.

This seems like a really cool project. I would much rather command line update than use the windows default tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
I posted this over in the AIR megathread, but it's about as mega as the Lisp megathread was.

collapse. It's a Samegame/Clickomania/Falldown/Chainshot clone game.

I'm going to add transition animations, sound, and figure out more about the install process next. I should note, it only took me 5 hours to write this, so I think AIR and I may become friends.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
PixPlz - an app that lets you pick which of two women are sexier, vote on them, and generally look at pictures of girls.

Click here for the full 1320x852 image.

I hate Google's terrible ad targeting. Race cars and S.W.A.T. Assault :psyduck:, but I don't really know how to help it target on a site with no words on it.

Also if anyone has advice on layout or features, please let me know.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

Matlock posted:

Google adwords doesn't pick up meta tags?

If it doesn't, why not just do what every lazy webdev does and make a block of text at the bottom in the same color as the background.
It doesn't seem to pick up metas. Doesn't the same-color thing count as "cloaking" and get you banned from AdSense?

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

Mithaldu posted:

All relevant search engines ignore meta tags, thanks to the copious abuse.
So how can you target AdSense ads appropriately when there's not really any text to work with?

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
Turns out I just couldn't figure out how to make money off that site, oh well.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
I'm working on the successor to PixPlz1, originally written on Google App Engine. It's now written in Django using PostGreSQL. The most requested features from PixPlz1 were NWS images, ways to filter out certain types of photos (mainly "asian"), multi-file upload, and animated gif support so I added all of those.

I would love to get some feedback on what you think of the design and the UI. I would also love to hear ideas for features or how this could otherwise be improved.

http://pix-plz.com/

Click here for the full 1162x983 image.

Click here for the full 1162x983 image.

LOLLERZ fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 30, 2009

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
The upload page is basically crap because so far I've been almost the only person to use it. I'm glad you noticed and gave me some specific stuff to fix. What do you mean by not happy on chrome 4?

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
Thanks for your detailed feedback. I'll fix that as soon as I get around to it, kind of a disadvantage of being a one-man dev shop.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

king_kilr posted:

http://typewar.com

my boss and coworker launched it a few weeks ago, now we all hack on it friday afternoons instead of doing real work
Care to share your scoring algorithm?

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
That looks awesome, and I look forward to playing it when you're done!

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

drcru posted:

Making a browser game but I can't make graphics for poo poo. My nebula looked kinda okay though!
Oh my god, why is your universe full of equals signs?

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

drcru posted:

I couldn't come up with ways to show they're connected to each other :smith:
You could put a big-rear end wall between the ones that aren't connected. Space has walls, right?

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well I mean it's basically a graph, right? You can travel between squares (nodes) along equals-signs (edges). If you turned it into a graph representation with little stars for each node and little hyperspace lanes for each edge, it would probably look pretty cool.
Well I mean it's basically a sparse matrix, right? You can travel between squares (rows) along equals-signs (ones). If you turned it into a sparse matrix representation with little stars for each row and little hyperspace lanes for each column, it would probably look pretty cool.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

Da Gaspodin posted:

This is something I've been planning of doing for ages and I finally got started on it.

A multiplatform player / authoring tool for visual effects / demoscene productions / any OpenGL work. Supports syncpoints
with a timeline, dynamically loading the effect files runtime (all the GL code is done with Lua) and sound hooks and playback from FMOD.

The tool consists of three parts:

- Compiled executable with FMOD interface and Lua interpreter. Pure C, ported to OSX, Linux and Windows.
- The timeline and runtime debugging features done with Lua.
- Effect code files done with Lua.

I'm probably not the only person here who would totally appreciate a video of this in action.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

shrughes posted:

It's not my fault you're all optically challenged.
Shruges you should also consider that people are going to want to fly through this page with flick scrolling. If you make new posts really loving obvious it will let you scroll a lot faster and be sure you didn't miss anything.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
I'm working on a game for iPhone called KittyBall:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
I made a visual history of the development of KittyBall: KittyBall evolved!

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
Post screenshots of stuff you're working on!

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
That's really awesome. Also, I'm really impressed with your UI concept of validating so it's impossible to make a valid shader. I know it takes a lot of extra coding for small UI stuff like that, but it's so worth it when someone else has to use the app.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
My game, Kittyball, just went live!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kittyball/id384866969?mt=8

quote:

Help Kittyball escape from the evil Dogcube in a high-speed chase full of zooms and jumps! Kittyball’s simple one-button design makes it easy to learn AND has amazing replay value. You’ll love playing Kittyball over and over -- if you don’t die from cuteness overload first! Just touch the screen to increase gravity and make Kittyball zip down the slopes!

MARVEL at the lush handmade graphics!
SAVOR the addictive gameplay!
DELIGHT in our overwhelming hyperbole!

OpenFeint coming soon!

Kittyball is great for kids too! Our “press anywhere” interface is easy for little hands, and the super-cute graphics and fast-paced action will keep them busy for a long time!

“Everyone should buy this game!” - Blake Householder
“This is the best game in all possible universes!!!” - Sarah Householder
“My daughter loves it!” - Sarah’s dad
“Kittyball is a puny cat morsel and should be chomped by me, the handsome and angular Dogcube! BARK!” - Dogcube

Kittyball is by Blake Householder with art by Sarah Householder. :D
I worked on this game for several months, and my then-fiancee-now-wife made all the art for it. We're pretty excited!

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
Mobile SA Forums

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

Parantumaton posted:

The site will crash a lot of phones because there's a whole bunch of JavaScript right at the beginning of it. jQuery isn't meant to work on mobiles either so it's highly probable that whatever the script is supposed to do just won't work. In fact most mobile browsers with JavaScript support do not allow for rewriting DOM directly in JS, sure iPhones and Androids do (at least mostly) but still...

Valiant effort though. I just happen to get my bread from working in this business so I'm kind of keen to always point out things to people making any kind of mobile versions of anything :)
I guess it never really occurred to me that I was actually developing a "smartphone" version of SA, not really a "mobile" version. I have an iPhone, so I was really trying to just make it not suck on a high-latency, low-bandwidth connection. That's why it also caches every page it downloads (would probably kill most non-smartphones).

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
I'm working on a browser-based text editor. It uses a node.js backend as a text server.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
http://www.code4cheap.com/ is a site I've been working on for about 3 months now. The idea is to help people who want to pay for super small projects find people who are interested in doing super small projects for cash.

LOLLERZ fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 25, 2011

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

clockwork automaton posted:

Visualization of women in computing timeline using processing.js just to get me coding again and learn something new. View it here.

Not sure I'm entirely done with it.

Oh my god. This image by itself is a hilarious joke.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

I'd really like to know why.

Good thing you didn't typo the title to "Woman in Computing"

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

Dealing with gender and sexuality issues always seems to create a poo poo storm, but I felt like trying to create a new way to gather data about these issues. Specifically I wanted to remove coarse labels and allow for individuals to fit themselves into areas mapped onto these reuleaux triangles.

You can play around with the demo here.

The next step is running some experiments with this method compared to other more commonly used methods of collecting such data. Though, I'm kinda interested if looking at gender/sexuality in such a way causes people to self reflect more than just select from this drop down.

I don't know if this is all the data you want to collect, but you could also ask about biological sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

Huragok posted:

So what I've coined cloudlab has been going great lately. Say you have an app that makes JSON data:

You go ahead and store it in cloudlab. It shows up in your workspace along with all your other data and processing tools (called "iPhone 3GS Data" in this example):

Now you want to create a tool that gets the duration of the data recording session:

Say you want to interactively process your data, fire up an interactive session, load the data and the tool and process the data:

It's still a fair way to go but we're almost at minimum viable product once we optimise, smooth the edges and implement a few other features.

This reminds me of http://buzzdata.com/