Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

DeathBySpoon posted:

Any chance this will hit Android, too? This looks amazing to use. Alternatively, are you interested in developing an Android version? This is definitely the kind of project I can get behind.

I don't think it will ever be ported. It's all Cocoa Touch, and 95% of the time spent on the app is getting the UI right. It would be like starting from zero to port it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Vankwish posted:

I thought it was WAAAYYY passed time that I got my fingers in to the gif pie. I spent the whole day today setting up the my game to make this possible, capturing the ideal footage, editing it all, and then working out the crazy process to get 20 seconds of fast action video into a sub 2MB gif.

Here's the result:

I've recently been adding Challenge Arenas to the game. These are special areas that really challenge the player in exchange for high level loot.
The image below is of one such challenge arena. Each hole in the wall has a big pillar that comes out of it like the one seen in the middle. These animate and change the shape of the room while the player fights off five waves of enemies.

The game's called NeonXSZ (pronounced Neon Excesses) and is a cyberspace dogfighting fps. I've put well over 4000 hours of work into this puppy and if you want to see it on Steam you know what to do and I'd appreciate your help.

That looks fantastic.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Underwhelming screenshot, but significant to me. My clock timing is finally under control for musical MIDI note generation:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Posted some screenshots a while ago, and finally released my new MIDI / OSC controller app TC-Data. Here's a panorama of the entire app:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Xerophyte posted:

I got asked to create some pictures showcasing various renderer features at work. A programmable material definition language is a feature and I like fractals so ...

It's a reflective microfacet BRDF, with roughness determined by Mandelbrot escape time. It also looks pretty neat.

E: Huh, I thought the imgur limit was 2 MB. Oh well, at least I can make a less crap .jpg.

I love this. I would buy a little paperweight Mandelbrot sphere in a second.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Id4ever posted:

Race Day

A realtime multiplayer racing game I've been working on for the last 14 months or so. Should be in the App Store and on Google Play by 4 December.

Oh man getting Dirt Bike vibes from this. Nice!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Nice.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

2D water for an iOS game I've been working on.

This is really great.

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

The frame rate is really lovely in that gif because I was running that in the simulator and capturing with Quicktime on not such a fast Mac Mini. Running on the iPad though it's always 60fps. :)

Not sure how well it would work on the mini, but in Yosemite you can capture directly from the device in Quicktime >> New Movie Recording, and I've had really good results that way.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

They had to add the iPad capture feature once they created video previews for the App store. Making videos before that was such a pain, and required external video capture hardware.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Marsol0 posted:

Although not as awesome as hendersa's stuff...

LAZER BEAMZ!

Oh man I used to play Protector II sooooo much on the Atari 800. Love me some Protector.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Not a screenshot, but I'm making patches for my synth update and made a quick video of one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSLh4kqZT3M

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

gently caress you, boxes! Ha!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Centripetal Horse posted:

This is cool. How many objects, and how fast is it running?

So far up to 6000 boxes at 60fps. Pretty basic lighting (ambient + diffused + specular), and the biggest bottleneck I'm getting is poor array performance in Swift for the box models.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

Are you using metal?

Yeah. So far really liking it, and the debugging tools are pretty excellent.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Centripetal Horse posted:

Is that running on a mobile device? Which part of the array performance is slowing you down? Are you adding and removing a lot of objects at arbitrary locations?

Yeah, iPad. I'm seeing excessive retain / release of my models while I iterate through them to update the physics. If I were using Obj-C, I'd turn off ARC to solve this. But I'm not sure what to do in Swift land.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Working on a rippling water effect for our stage lighting.

Does anyone know how to convert a color value (RGB or HSV) to red, cyan, green, yellow, blue, and magenta values (I don't know, RCGYBM)?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Does that make sense?

Totally - except I didn't mention that I've got an array of LED lights, so I actually have LEDs for Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, and Magenta (what I would have called a dark Purple). Tried to take a picture of it below.

I could just use the RGB, but I'd like to take the time to figure out a proper way to do it to use all the colored LEDs.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

It's tough to get a picture of it, but there are separate DMX channels for the light blue (cyan) and regular blue. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to send a yellow value instead of red+green, since there is a whole row of yellow LEDs up there.

Quick video in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWLaU9p_R8A

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

You are awesome Hubis. Thanks - that was really helpful.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

TheresaJayne posted:

just wondering if having a low steady color/brightness across the whole scene then adding the ripple as a rise in brightness/shade might work better, or the other option to suggest underwater would be random dappling to suggest choppy water
I'm totally with you there. I've got a minBrightness value and some scaling parameters in there to lesson the full on/off effect. Makes it a lot more natural looking. The piece we're playing is going to slowly ramp from choppy/bright water to steady/deep water over 30 minutes.

Hubis you weren't kidding about the LEDs being able to produce colors the laptop monitor doesn't at all. I've got two implementations: one that translates RGB into the 7 color values, and the second 'quick and dirty' implementation you posted above. The latter is better at producing the full range of color, but at 0% saturation the lights are very dim (all at 1/6 strength). I'm messing around with ways to keep the brightness up as the saturation goes down.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

I made a thing while I was working on a particle system for a game:

You have to see it in real time to really appreciate it:
http://matt.stumpnet.net/paint/

oooooooooh very nice.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

The grid on the first picture is really making me think of Marble Madness.

An updated Marble Madness with those fluid dynamics would be soooooo great.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Teapot!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah I know bloom is overused and cliché but oh man it was fun to implement :)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'm having a design issue, and just wanted opinions.

I think you have a cool animation that is a poor interface. When I press a button I want it to stay put. Plus, if I hit the record button, I want it to start recording, not move and make me press it again.

Some thoughts: why not just animate the size of the button (hey, you just started recording, press this again to stop)? Or if you are absolutely set on having your buttons fly around, shift all three around, and center the one you just pressed.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I think I see what you mean by resizing the buttons, which I like too. That would be making both the video and photo button small originally, then increasing the size when you pressed it, but also that triggers the button's action of taking a photo/video?

I mean, I'm get unreasonably annoyed at unnecessary clicks / taps, but considering there will be a corresponding 'mode' switch, I'm betting the swap will go over just fine.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'm glad it was mentioned, because it really made me consider that it felt unnecessary. I can see how the user would tap the button and then it moves, and be like "What the heck? I just tapped that! Why did it move away?" It's an extra step, but at the same time there's the advantage of giving the user context on where they are. I think I'm going to add some kind of indication of static box where the largest button is supposed to be to show more what is selected than just a larger button. Then again I can't decide for the user's what makes sense.
Well here's my question: if I hit record (video), is the camera (snapshot) button still active? Can I take a picture while the video is recording, or is it disabled? Does pressing it stop the video recording, but not take a picture?

The built-in camera app takes care of this by having one action button and the swipe-to-change mode thing. I like the idea of getting rid of that -- I dislike the mode switching when I'm frantically trying to take a video and not a picture, or it's moved to square picture, etc., and I'm not in the right mode. So the multi-button approach is good, it should just feel natural no matter what state (recording / idle) we're in.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

perc2 posted:

A kingdom management sim in the command line... a pretty stupid idea but what the hell,

This looks cool :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I just picked up a project of mine I had put down for about a month. I'm working out some model structures, so it's a lot of staring into space today.

After a while, and coming up with a few solutions, I opened my notes.txt file to check on some things. Lo and behold, I had already mapped out an answer to this problem already. Only I don't remember doing it at all, and the solution is so much better than what I just came up with.

Usually I can at least recall working on this in the past, but man I just 100% don't remember coming up with the answer, and it's so much smarter than I'm capable of. Whoa.