Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yeah, screenshot of code, real exciting:

It uses active record (on its own) to migrate a database schema from MS SQL Server to Postgresql and then builds up a mass of insert queries to insert the data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

lord funk posted:

I'm getting a strong Tranquility vibe from this. I wonder what the game would be like if it was made today.

I love the "alternatives to" section of that link about Tranquility. "Here's this Euphoria-inducing game, it'll make you happy. Alternatively, you could play GTA, COD4 or The Walking Dead"

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Working on a "business" website which is going to be a banner with the business name, services, a few links to projects and github and contact. The rest of it will be what is effectively ski free but with a kayak:

phase 1, fun times.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

lord funk posted:

You can check out a video of it's sibling app, TC-11 here: https://vimeo.com/66472167 I don't have a video of this one yet; still a ways to go.

That's pretty incredible.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Orzo posted:

yo here's a bunch of poo poo hiding inside bushes, my only regret is not demoing bushes inside bushes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSzlbUbdi9M&hd=1

A recursive bush would have been really cool.

You could also have your player character pop out of the bush. That'd be pretty trippy: open a bush and all of a sudden you realize you were in the bush all along! Or let the character hide in a bush?

Sorry, I dunno what it is about hiding in bushes today, that's creepy.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Jewel posted:

My last post on the subject. If anyone cares, I'm finished with that program I was making. It generates this on the fly

And here's it with debugging turned on

All it does is just plop down decals based on open edges. Looks nicer on a dark background like it would be ingame. Still, super nice effect for what's incredible simple to do. Surprised spelunky was one of the first games I've seen to do this. Since they're decals it also lets your player go behind them for added depth.

very cool stuff. nicely implemented.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

AAAAAaaaaaahhhh!!

The best hockey.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

From Earth posted:

I had to look up Carnage Heart on YouTube, but it looks far more complex than what I'm planning to make. My idea boils down to, program a number of robots using the board shown in the GIF, hit play, watch the robots solve a puzzle and/or walk into the nearest wall. I'm basing it more on SpaceChem than anything else.

Sounds like robo rally. a competitive game mode with a limited set of tiles (that you draw) and use, would be pretty cool. Robo rally was a fun board game (spinnaz gonna spin).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
This discussion is fascinating, but it decidedly lacks screenshots.

Though I will use this as a place to say that the size and age of the game development megathread has scared me away.

And also that Javascript is probably the best for beginner game devs that want to make money and don't want to deal with porting.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Internet Janitor posted:

I've been making some good progress on my new game, which will be an adventure/puzzle game that teaches programming with Logo.
It uses an entirely keyboard-driven user interface, with a REPL and context-sensitive "targets" that indicate possible commands. Tab-completion makes this fairly fast and easy to navigate. The following gif demonstrates the REPL and how the UI works for the current in-game manual:

Still very much a work in progress.

This is awesome! Please keep us up on the progress!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Xik posted:

It's "done". It's... pretty much not fun at all. You can play it here and view the source code here.

I had fun, learned some Javascript and a bit about the process of making a game. I sort of want to go ahead and actually make a "real" game now. One where I can actually plan and maybe even have make something fun.

e: drat, new page. To apologise for this having to be at the top of the page for a while, check out this commit I made. I've had the flu most of this week and dozed off while watching presentations by Douglas Crockford a couple times. For some reason I got it in my head that the += operator was unsafe and I was purposely not using it. I'm a dumbass.

hey, did ya know that in javascript, you can also use ++?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
crockford is a crock. don't pollute the global namespace, don't make spaghetti code, keep things reasonably object oriented and you're doing better than 90% of javascript programmers.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

You have to be super careful when flinging terms like "object oriented" around with javascript - it has a lot of features that simulate those you'd find in an object oriented language, but the combination of dynamic typing, lack of "interface" construct and poor exception handling make it a poor choice for large scale projects. Stuff like Dart, Typescript and the Google Closure compiler make an attempt at mitigating these issues, but the language inherently is weak for OOP.

Which is why I say, "reasonably object oriented". There are a bunch of ways you can do this from attaching things to objects to node-style module exports. Personally, I like doing prototypal objects inside closure scopes.

You and I probably wouldn't agree when it came to attributing an importance to some of these features or lack thereof. For example, I'm on the side of liking dynamic typing for the most part.

But you hit it on the head when you mention large-scale projects. JS is good for client side stuff and good for small webservers, but it's certainly not appropriate for much beyond that.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Literally Elvis posted:

They're not very smart.

If the actual solution to the problem is less than X, then the random numbers generated for possible answers can't be higher than X + 10, IIRC. I need to come up with a better solution than that, but that was all I could think of in a jiff to make sure the proposed answers for 2 + 2 weren't something like 4, 88, 92, and 61. After X, the max changes to X + (1/2)X. That seems to work well enough for higher numbers, but they don't come up that often anyway, and I wasn't entirely sure I wanted the quiz to be hard, per se.

There are, however, basic checks against division (and modulo!*) by zero, and when the answer is negative, all possible answers are made negative so that nothing is obviously not that answer.

Now that I think of it, I could have some additional code that gives a chance of one or both operands being negative. That would create some interesting problems.

I also intend to add statistics (time taken per answer, percentage correct, etc.)

*coding this taught me that Z % 0 in Java throws the division by zero exception, which makes sense but wasn't something I had ever thought of.

To be tricker, you could weight answers to be mostly even if the answer is even and mostly odd if the answer is odd. If 5 is an operand, the answers should all end in 0 or 5. Basically code in the math tricks to make the answers more than just a process of elimination.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

bgreman posted:

Why would this make it harder? 5 + 2 = 7, which does not end in either 0 or 5. That is only true for multiplication.

Sorry, I meant when 5 is an operand in multiplication.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Literally Elvis posted:

More lame Android stuff from a worthless noob, this time on the market Play store*.

I had posted about this before, only in C#. Decided to try a simple port to Android alongside the math quizzer I posted earlier. It's very basic, and I'm thinking I should just dump the buttons and have the menu button reveal copy actions. The user could just touch the color to generate a new one. I need to add Hex, which shouldn't be difficult.

I have a WIP version that stores the last twenty colors (stored as ints) to an array, which hypothetically would allow a user to swipe right to go back to the last color they generated. I've got to work on that, but I'm getting married in a little over two weeks, so that probably won't come for a while.

The most frustrating part of this was figuring out how to copy to the Clipboard. There's an old API entry called ClipboardManager that is deprecated. I went online to try and figure it out and I found all these references to Clipboard Manager, so I put it into Android Studio, only to be met with an error that what I was trying to use was deprecated. Took me a bit of hunting, but I ended up finding out that, in fact, what I was supposed to be using was this ClipboardManager which is a child to the old ClipboardManager and identically named and ugh why do that?! I'm sure the reason is well informed and beyond my scope of knowledge, but surely they could have at least named it something different or put a note in their own IDE that says "hey we replaced this with an identically named object, please see <url> for more info."

*not an attempt to solicit/promote

should have an option to show the rgb/hsv/hex instead of copying it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sinestro posted:

I don't want to be mean, but that font on the stone is aggressively unreadable.

Gotta agree with that. I thought it was runes or some crap that, not meant to be read.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mandelbulb posted:

Been working on a lil island thing using software rendering. Feel like I'm at roads end now though as it averages around 50 fps, with sea and cloud computations detached, wrecking my 4.3ghz i5. That's just not good enough so I guess I'll have to get with the times. Still think this was a successful experiment, managed to squeeze out a lot more than I thought I would be able to.

Throw another one on the pile of discarded prototypes.

I want to sim city that island.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
that looks very nice darkpool.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Internet Janitor posted:

Hmm. Javascript is getting pretty fast these days.

How 'bout that.

Yeah, google chrome really changed the landscape on its introduction. Firefox was faster, but chrome really forced them to up their game.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
30fps on a i7-3770 on Linux. Dipped to 17 after about 15 minutes when I started to lose (I'm really bad at RTS)

e: also I was losing turrets that were showing as undamaged. not sure how that worked.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

HappyHippo posted:

Thanks everyone. 30 fps is what it aims for. Is it still playable at less than that?

That's.. odd. So like full green health bar and then boom?

yes, still playable. didn't notice it.

I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention to my damage bar.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Literally Elvis posted:

I'm writing a Yelp scraper in Python. It uses a single coordinate and math to generate multiple points and make multiple queries to the Yelp API instead of a single, lame 20-result query.

Lots of work to be done, but I found getting maps to create was gratifying.

Hi there Austinite.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Literally Elvis posted:

Bonus points if either of you know what the origin point in my screenshot is.

Center looks like 6th and Red River so... Esther's Follies? El Sol y La Luna? One of those random food trailers? *shrug*

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Locus posted:

Those rocks look great!

The NIH thing is crazy in all forms of creativity. As an absolute amateur hobbyist when it comes to development, I have a lot of trouble balancing that, both emotionally, and trying to figure out what's the best tact for learning. :iiam:

This week I'm forcing myself to take a sort of vacation and actually do a drat game jam for once. I started two days into #7DFPS, so it's more like 5DFPS, but I think it's coming together:

I've got level generation and A* pathfinding from the Pro-D package, which the developers are giving away for free during #procjam. Right now the killbot just lurks, but I'm hoping to get movement and non-omniscient sensors put in today.

that robot looks like it needs a hug.

(also, pretty cool stuff)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Azazel posted:

Sorry, not a screenshot, but here's a video of my game in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6oBrkVtR1c

Still about 2+ months of development to go before release.

Looks neat.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Boring web developer time!

From ComBoards, my community-based job board startup concept. Quite spartan, but it's meant to be embedded and I just deployed it today after some light work over the holidays.

I'm most fond of the semi-private implementation. You can only get to a board via the keyed link:

http://comboards.com/k/h9px3QCGIw

Once you've visited that, it's saved in your session, along with the other communities you've accessed. If you register and then visit the link, it will be linked to your user.

e: aaaaand I realized that it was busted in that, if you visited while signed out, it forced you to sign in. very embarrassing after I even bragged on that feature.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 8, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Boring web developer update time!

Enabled CORS and played around with backbone+handlebars and now my comboards concept can be used via embedded JS:

Yay, boring stuff!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The abrupt death and return to the menu made me laugh out loud for reasons I'm not sure I understand. I love it, and the crow animation is fantastic.

I was hoping for a fade to black with the word "fin" printed on it.

That would be a decent way to advance levels and add additional contemplation and solemnity.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Manslaughter posted:

That would make an amazing screensaver.

especially if it didn't wipe the previous result and just started layering the next image over so you'd see a morph of sorts.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Nippashish posted:

Thanks. The circles turned out really nice I think. They work really well for Van Gogh paintings.

If you use enough circles they even do a pretty good job with photos.

I also implemented rectangles. Most of the time they just end up looking like jpg artifacts, but this one came out nice.

I have yet to make anything not-hideous with triangles.

(ed: here's the bridge image, in case you haven't found it already: http://i.imgur.com/XbL9T81.png).

So here's a challenge for your software: Process an image then kick it through google image search and see if it comes back with the original image.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

netcat posted:

Seems quite accurate, though it thinks I should make less than I actually do. :smith:

Same here :) :(

Yeah, it's not a fan of my github account. Which is not too surprising considering that most of my work has been proprietary and most of my github stuff is test-free toy apps.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

crazysim posted:

Location, location, location? I chose Other and it was nearly spot on but it's such a dramatic drop compared to Silicon Valley so I'm not sure if it is accurate. I'm in San Diego so shouldn't west coast Californian metropolitan area count for something or would Silicon Valley be the better option.

Also all the other Silicon ____'s out there have wages much more like Valley and less like bum gently caress Arkansas.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dr. Stab posted:

Physically speaking, the particles would not go into orbit, or circle multiple times before crashing. They would do one of three things:
suborbital velocity: crash less than one rotation around the planet
orbital velocity: go around the planet exactly once and crash back where they started
escape velocity: go away and never come back

I would think that if some are able to reach an orbital velocity (with the right speed and inclination), then others would have be able to reach an orbital velocity that was > 1 orbit with high eccentricity that would degrade quickly after a few orbits?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

munce posted:

as i said to the guy above, this has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with looks.

Sorry, we were nerding out over something that had very little to do with your animation.

Dr. Stab posted:

It doesn't matter the eccentricity. The only thing we know about their orbits is that they started out in a position that intersects the planet, so the orbit then must intersect the planet at at least that point. Modeling effects that cause orbit degredation would shrink the orbit, and make it impact sooner, not later.

Yes, but there's a fair gap in velocities between a velocity required for escape and a velocity that is required for orbit, no? So the orbital velocity that has debris going around exactly once is significantly less than the escape velocity which has debris leaving orbit entirely. I'm questioning what happens to the debris that's in that middle ground.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

clockwork automaton posted:

So I'm 'releasing' my game next Thursday on itch.io so I decided I needed to spend some time making a stupid trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5HSIGDc5pU

This is amazing and you should be proud.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

nuvan posted:

This just popped up, if you're willing to wait a few weeks:
https://letsencrypt.org

This is beautiful, for the record. I love that they even threw in an auto-configure linux tool for nginx and apache.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Kid CUDA posted:

Hey guys, I love pets and family as much as the other guy, but could we please keep it related to computer projects? (You know, screenshots of stuff we're working on)

I would hate to see a years old topic closed for derailing

What if my dog is named SQL?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

baka kaba posted:

Do you ever find yourself shouting 'no SQL! Bad!'

Yes. And also "SQL DROP the TABLE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

munce posted:

Mars with water:

Well, that would be an interesting planet to figure out how to terriform.

Also, cool animation.