Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal
I've been developing techniques for the realtime procedural animation of assorted creatures for my Ph.D. The idea is that all animation is driven by the creature's embodiment in the environment, taking a lot of inspiration from AI, robotics and ethology.

Video from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1P_B65XW4I

Most of the work has concentrated on Spiders, although I'm currently extending the simulation to cover creatures of similar morphology (body close to ground, legs in parallel), such as insects and lizards.

SuperFurryAnimal fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal

ashgromnies posted:

Holy cow. Can you give more details on what technology makes this possible? That's awesome.
I've written a decent summary of the simulation as it currently stands, but I can't get to it at the moment - I'll post it in the next few days.

Basically, the core technologies are a fully physically simulated figure (rigid body hierarchy with powered joints), inverse dynamics (limb movements), robotic/ethology inspired gait controllers, and a lot of self-organisation. The animation is a result of the (mostly indirect) feedback between many self-regulating simulatory components, which all act in some way to maintain balance.

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal
I've spent the last three weeks working on an entry for the XNA Dream Build competition. Who would have thought that building a game on your own in three weeks was difficult? Anyway, here's the result:

Video of 'Arena' mode (blurry as all gently caress).

The core mechanic is that point multipliers are based on how quickly you dispatch each enemy - do it efficiently and you get a bonus based on the enemy's size, and a +1 to your chain (firework). A chain of 5 efficient kills in a row gives x2 multiplier to bonuses, a chain of 10 = x4 and so on. You are only allowed to fire three rockets at any one time, so its all about targeted strikes (or that was the aim anyway).

SuperFurryAnimal fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 23, 2008

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal

Luminous posted:

This is really cool. I am curious, how much work did you have to do in terms of the graphics? For instance, the fire work effects and explosions - was that a particle effect completely created by you, or does XNA have some bases to work off of?

Good job, regardless!
The particle system is basically a bastardized version of the example smoke effect. I got the smoke effect working in the game, and then just fiddled with the numbers to get the desired fx.

I'd say its quite easy. It basically boils down to changing parameters and writing some position/scale/rotation code for each effect.