Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
My N1 says there's a problem parsing this package. Froyo, FRF91.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

See that 'div' that is the QuickClick menu and the mention of auto-login? That's one product of my Chrome extension for my University's Moodle installation. In normal use, you would have to click about three or four times and you would be logged out about every 4 or 6 hours. This is highly annoying to say the least. Thanks to the magic of jQuery, I was able to whip something up in record time to automatically log me in with the built-in autofill and cache the current courses that the user was taking for placement on the very front of the website for easy one-click access. Admittedly, I wrote it as kind of a hack but it works very well for me!

Yay for Chrome extensions and jQuery! I highly recommend to anyone here that if a site is annoying you in layout or is almost perfect but not quite that you learn a bit of jQuery and Chrome extension errata and make life easier for yourself especially if you have to use a site everyday for many years and months to come.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 19, 2012

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

krnhotwings posted:

Geez, UCSB should really redesign that..

It's Moodle like how this forum is Vbulletin. Hacks here and there like many other PHP applications in production. It's not bad, fairly alright, and they are responsive to suggestions from users. It's just that I'm wary of why they haven't bothered to increase the timeout in all these years so I was guessing there was some crazy bureaucracy for increasing that (from my experiences in another department at UCSB regarding the single-sign-on system in place). Anyway, I'm not going to wait for the email that says "Sorry, we won't implement this because of X and Y and REQ." or an even worse "k i got it, acknowledged". Screw that, I'm writing some Javascript! Here's a nail, and I'm going to hammer it down with my hammer.

If they fix the problems, it's a quick matter of nullifying the part of the extension that does that thing and putting an update onto the web store. I :love: the auto-update functionality in Chrome.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 20, 2012

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
The moderators of r/UCSantaBarbara just deployed this stylesheet I was working on. It's no r/Diablo but it was fun writing some automation for the tasks I was doing and prototyping some crazy concepts with regards to subreddit styling. I also had some fun drawing the pixel tower in the middle of campus. That was only because the pixel drawing app was the only Retina drawing app I have.

Learned how to use Git-flow, Heroku, a little bit of Python, and Compass/SCSS. In the end, the mods only chose to adopt this specific stylesheet that's static.

Source code here:

https://github.com/crazysim/cowboystyle

crazysim fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 23, 2012

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I was still in denial that it was written in QBasic. Nice!

As for me, since I was lacking in a blog and and a portfolio site, I decided to extract out the Zurb Foundation and blog parts of a non-profit's nanoc site I was working on to base my own site off of. I wanted something extremely low maintenance and yet very powerful for my own site. The previous incarnations of my blog were Wordpress over the past decade and I've always found it a pain in the rear end to try to maintain and customize. I'm far more comfortable with nanoc since it's a static site generator and not the bloated thing that is Wordpress. For once, I actually feel like I'm in control.

Admittedly, it's a bit spartan. Oh well!

I may not have my own site up and done yet but at least I can say I was extracting and building a good foundation for it last weekend. I can probably reuse this foundation/bootstrap for other sites needing a low maintenance yet super customizable web presence as well.

https://github.com/crazysim/nanoc-foundation-blog

and maybe so can you!

crazysim fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 17, 2013

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Ah, inspired by iOS's native video scrubbing where if you drag the bar down, it gets finer! If you want to take further inspiration, you can just use words like that.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Id4ever posted:

Race Day

A realtime multiplayer racing game I've been working on for the last 14 months or so. Should be in the App Store and on Google Play by 4 December.

Oh man it's like that rock crawling/time trial app I spent hours playing with on with my Mac.

edit: Hmm? Is December 4 the release date or is it blocked in the US to gate the release? It looks to be up on the Google Play store.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 30, 2014

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Sticky Profits posted:

Not so much a screenshot as a working thing. Have been following an ML course and doing some React stuff lately and so built this:

http://whatshouldicost.com

Basically you connect your Github account and based on the languages you use and your length of experience, it'll give you a guesstimate of what your annual salary should be using data derived from the StackOverflow Dev Survey.

Would be interesting to hear how accurate it is!

Location, location, location? I chose Other and it was nearly spot on but it's such a dramatic drop compared to Silicon Valley so I'm not sure if it is accurate. I'm in San Diego so shouldn't west coast Californian metropolitan area count for something or would Silicon Valley be the better option.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Mezzanine posted:

Finally have a decent screenshot to post here

Story:
My wife loves turtles. She's been bugging me forever to make "an app where turtles show up and crawl all over your screen and get in the way and you have to shoo them away". Umm, okay

After literally years of "OK, sure, whenever I have a chance...", I finally realized that there must be a way, since Facebook Messenger has those floating avatars, even on the home screen. Turns out that Android lets you add views to the "WindowManager" with a "TYPE_PHONE" flag, which is typically used for cases like phone apps or something that absolutely must be visible at all times, even more important than a sticky notification. So, using a background service, I spawned a few ImageViews and animated them manually, resulting in this

Yes, they really crawl all over your screen, no matter what app you have running. The swipe-down status thing does go over it, however. I'm thinking of releasing it on Google Play with a huge disclaimer "this app does nothing beneficial and actually hurts productivity". I already added a selector so you can choose bugs, spiders etc in addition to turtles.

On Classic MacOS, I remember there was a custom screensaver, probably of After Dark heritage, that basically idled with cartoon characters interacting with elements and icons on your screen. Things like, tipping the Trash can icon or pointing at Desktop icons.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any videos on YouTube on this at all. Wikipedia says there's a "Chameleon" After Dark screensaver module that seems to be just that.

edit: Nevermind, it didn't "interact" with the desktop. https://youtu.be/ZsKYXftB68M?t=69

crazysim fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 29, 2017

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Bit of a weird "screenshot" but here it goes.

You can click on that badge and see the sheet that is the data backing the badge.

The badge generator is at https://cellshield.info .

Compared to the other stuff here, it's not the most advanced thing by a long shot. It is however useful for embedding a cell from an informal database that is a Google Spreadsheet atop of some README, wiki, forum post, or web page.

It's a simple Go server that uses Google's API to output JSON that https://shields.io can read. Mix it in with some simple Vue generator front-end to take public spreadsheet URLS and tada.

The badge generator web UI can also make BBCode for embedding (along with modern Markdown and so on).

I've already used it for this and that. The former outputs a running bounty total and the latter is community annotation progress.

A major Game Boy development contest is using it labeless to display the prize pool amount: https://itch.io/jam/gbcompo21

Pretty handy!

crazysim fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 24, 2021

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Did you know GitHub Wikis aren't indexed in search engines? And weren't at all for at least 9 years until a select few started? It's a travesty.

For the past year, I've made, maintained, and enhanced https://github-wiki-see.page to try to get un-indexed GitHub Wikis indexed. It's gotten GitHub to get off their asses to get some Wikis indexed. There are still quite some more that aren't indexed though. Things like all repos with < 800 stars or wikis that are publically editable. If you want more details about the situation, just visit the front page of the site.

The screenshot attached? That's the real product. GitHub Wiki content showing up on a Google search result. The page itself is quite ugly but it's easy to get to the original GitHub content from there. I kind of wanted to keep it Web 1.0 to make sure there's absolutely no confusion it is GitHub or any "professional" site. Also keeps the costs down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crazysim fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Recently restored "Gargantuan Takeout Rocket" which was broken for 4 months.

It allows "Liftoff from Google Takeout into Azure Storage, repeatedly, very fast, like 1GB/s+ or 10 minutes total per takeout fast".

I'm one of those people with a TB to transfer when backing up. So getting it quickly out every two months is very useful.

https://github.com/nelsonjchen/gargantuan-takeout-rocket

It's pretty fugly design, but in case the worst happens to my Google account or YouTube, at least I'll have a copy of everything.