Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs
Not as exciting looking as some of the work people are currently showing (it has been great motivation to get me back into OpenGL work again though!) but I've been working on putting together a tour of the features provided by the website I help develop.

I'm happy with how easy it turned out to be after finding the Guiders.js library and wrapping it up to provide keyboard navigation etc.

Combat Pretzel - As a side note from someone who has just started getting into windows 8 development it has been great reading about what you have been facing when it comes to getting the apps through Microsoft certification and so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs
An early part of a game I've been working on required creating buildings in a 'sims-like' grid where you can drag the size of the building out.

Have prototyped a few options and the above current approach is working well enough to be able to move on to the next item before coming back and cleaning this one up!

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs

my stepdads beer posted:

This is cool. Is the grid 2x triangles for each little square or one giant square and grid texture?

Thanks! Right now the grid is using the 2x triangle approach but I'm making no use of the triangles themselves so it'll soon be moved over to just a single giant square with the grid texture on it to speed things up :)

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs

untilted posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that most graphics cards only render triangles anyway, and quads are just internally split into triangles? I don't think you'd get a speed improvement doing that, in that case. I like the building interface - reminds me of those good games like Theme Hospital and Startopia.

Ah, didn't want to go into the details of it in the previous post but the triangle approach I had was from a previous prototype that stuck around and got 'disabled' internally, but it still has a lot of additional controllers / event bindings built into it that are no longer used and still being fired.

So the speeding up as such will actually be me cleaning up old code :D, Theme Hospital has certainly been one of the inspirations too.

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs

syntaxfunction posted:

Hey nerds. I think the last thing I posted in this thread was me working on a procedural floorplan generator. Lotta stuff has happened in my life, but guess what, work has continued.

snip

I've been meaning to reply to your post since I saw it show up but haven't had the time to.

What you are undertaking is exactly what I've wanted to do for some time and never find myself with any due to childcare / COVID lockdowns so I'd be very keen for you to post any updates you have as you progress through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs

syntaxfunction posted:

I posted ages ago about the city builder I was working on. I ended going back and realising that a lot of what was being done (from the original author's code) was more for getting it done, rather than efficiency. So I have started ripping out a tonne of stuff and rebuilding it to be more versatile.

To start with, I am ignoring the plots and buildings, and working on the fundamental layout of the city itself.

Things I have addressed:
- Inability to modify the city in any reasonable way after creation
- Required to have a completely flat city

I basically took the generated data and attached custom nodes to beginning and end points, and removed any duplicates. The nodes themselves are movable but more importantly I created a DataNode that pairs with a parent DataNode to send information.

This is what gets generated with several hundred roads (my poor laptop taps out around 500+)

You can see the node actors, and they are real-time movable:

The DataNode essentially checks on construction (which in editor is when it is moved) that the transform data given to it by the generator is the same as what it is now. If it isn't then it dispatches a call to the generator which updates it's data. It's handy, because I'm only updated nodes that are actually, like, updating.

If you move the nodes vertically it lifts any streets it connects with it, so you can now get vertical movement.

It probably doesn't seem like much, but being able to realtime modify the layout easily helps me a lot, and the plan is to get the plot and building generators to modify the affected actors as well.

Woo, thanks for the update! I'm still watching along while not spending any time on my own city generator.

Did you end up sticking with UE4 for this one?