Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thug Bonnet
Sep 22, 2004

anime tits ftw

Entheogen posted:

I don't really need to change any visual information on a fly. Would they really be faster for rendering static stuff, than display lists?

Yeah, depending on the card they can be significantly faster. I'm not sure what you're writing in but I have a bunch of VBO C code I can give you if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Bonnet
Sep 22, 2004

anime tits ftw

Entheogen posted:

I do not understand. Display list is compiled list of commands, VBOs on the other hand still have to be rendered using some primitive? How could it be faster?

I am using Java, but it is pretty close to the way OpenGL is used in C, so your example code could be very useful for me.

I'm pretty sure the display lists are stored outside the GPU's memory whereas VBOs/PBOs are stored in GPU memory. Another nice thing about VBOs/PBOs is that you can read from and re-write to them whenever you'd like (incurring while a performance hit of course).

PM me and I'll send the code (there's more than I should probably dump in the thread)

Thug Bonnet
Sep 22, 2004

anime tits ftw

mintskoal posted:

I'm working on a little desktop application that integrates with Outlook and Google calendar to send reminders about things as text messages to my phone.

GCal will txt you with reminders, won't it?