Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd
This is the first time I've posted anything on this project but, it's finally at a point where I'm semi-OK with how it's looking and functioning (not that a screenshot needs to function but, I need it to)

The essence of the site is to aid in helping people putting together a custom built PC. The internals of the site (django based) has a highly abstracted model on how a computer fits together. Different types of interconnectors (AM2/LG755/PCI Express/etc) and understands how all the components pop together. Using this you can select one part and then wade through the other components knowing that they will all fit together properly.

I hope to have a full beta up and running by August. There's a lot of bits left but, I've just finished the 'core' functionality tonight.

I'm envious of all the ray-tracing and OpenGL stuff. I want to learn how to make pretty pictures.

Yes... this was also ironically developed on a Mac :v:

ATLbeer fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

El_Ergo posted:

Neat app. Did you consider putting space considerations into your model? I know some video cards can be too huge for some configs, as well as some odd things like half-height PCI for mini-ATX cases, etc.

Thats on my huge list of to-do's which I'm prioritizing.

There are a TON of little gotchas when building a PC and I'm working my way down the list of biggest problems (a LGA775 motherboard can't accept AMD chips :v: ) to things like component power consumption (still not finished) for proper power supply choice.

There's also a balance on when to launch vs. feature set. Obviously if I sat around and did everything before launching it will never be done. So some things (unfortunately like half-height v. full height etc) is going have to have to wait for future iterations.

I'm trying to determine some method of "expert approval" of builds, so that someone has looked over a build and can confirm that the listed parts should be 100% compatible. I consider that a feature that is way up there for inclusion before launch.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd
This fun!

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

jonnii posted:

Me and a guy from my job have been working on a game for the iPhone called vConqr (previous Virtual Conquest). I've been working on the new website (https://www.vconqr.com) and some of the new game features, specifically downloadable maps and online play.

It has been really interesting working with the iPhone. I come from a C# background and it has taken a while, but I've really grown to like obj-c with all it's [[[]]] goodness.

We just submitted a new version to the app store which fixes a lot of complaints with the previous version, it's great to be able to make something which people play, instead of mindless bank software...

Just bought... Looks sweet

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

lostchicken posted:

I was tired of having all my AIM logs in different formats, what with the various different Adium logs over the years, and Gaim/Pidgin having its own thing, so I wrote an app to read all of them and write them out to a common XML format. Once I'd done that, though, I realized it might be interesting to mine the data for statistics. Most of that was textual, but I did generate some pretty graphs showing how often I talk to individual people over time:

Matplotlib makes gorgeous graphs...

I'm sorry you don't talk to anyone online anymore :smith:

Curiously though if your data is across many different IM networks I'd be curious to see if other people had the same trending as me over the last 5 years. Started with 90% AIM / 10% ICQ to all AIM to now probably 75% GTalk vs 15% AIM / 10% Facebook

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd
After reading through this this thread I figured there had to be a better way to find new podcasts than that and the idea came to me in the shower that evening before going out how to do it.

Click here for the full 1159x834 image.

There are a few rough edges around the general concept left to fill in but, it mostly there. I already have a bunch of V2 features lined up but, I'm will be following the release early and release often approach and wait for a while to see which features will actually improve the product instead of trying to cram everything in before launch.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd
This is something that's currently in a soft launch and I'm doing little promotion as I'm finishing up some other projects right now but, it's a pretty simple concept. Basically I hate sending people links to Youtube where someone has given a video a horrible or inappropriate title or description. Or simply the comments have been spammed with something horrible. I just wanted a simple page where I could embed a video and then link someone too it.

http://www.plainvid.com/

Click here for the full 1088x867 image.

Click here for the full 1093x916 image.

Currently it supports videos from YouTube, Vimeo, and Liveleak. Just added support today for making the URL short via bit.ly and links to directly tweet the video and share via facebook and reddit.

Example page: http://bit.ly/edb3P

If your interested in following the project I'm posting updates as I go to Twitter: http://twitter.com/plainvid

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

DLCinferno posted:

That's a fantastic idea. Anything to reduce the chaff is tits in my book.

Thanks... It's in a soft launch stage right now but, I consider it in "production" and I'm taking bug requests and feature requests via twitter (http://twitter.com/plainvid) or just PM me if your not into the whole Twitter thing.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

ColdPie posted:

I don't mean to be a dick or anything, but since it sounds like you're trying to be professional about this website, I'm just going to politely suggest that you learn the difference between "your vs you're" and "they're vs their vs there". It looks very unprofessional when you gently caress those up and I'd hate to see it happen in some promotional material for your website or in contact with your users.

Yeah... It's an awful habit of mine. I appreciate the advice and it's not being a dick. I get the same reaction when I'm in technical meetings with non-technical people and they misuse terminology.

I already have a proof read version of my 'about' page in my version control and it's getting pushed out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

king_kilr posted:

For PyCon me and some friends put together a live stream of everything that's going on (twitter, flickr, github, bitbucket, upcoming talks and files)

http://pycon.djangodose.com/

Sweet! Despite being from Atlanta and literally being 3,000 yards away from PyCon I've been slammed at work and unable to go. I've been following along when I have a free chance using this.

What are you using for the back-end on the long poll?