Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm making a web game thats essentially a "black nova traders" from hell, with a heavy crafting component and real time combat using comet based server interaction.

Market. This is seeded, but in the final game, *everything* will be made by players, putting supply, demand and pricing entirely up to the playerbase.

Scanner. Checking out nearby star systems. The current galaxy has around 5000 solar systems. For the final thing I'm thinking of importing a full milky way star catalogue, and using the spectral classifications to allocate resources to the planets moons and asteroid belts, but if that doesnt work so well, I might just use a neat little algorithm I designed to create a full spiral galaxy of around 20K stars. I intend this bad boy to scale.

Drones and factories. I hate grind, so once you leave a mining drone at a belt or moon, it should continue to mine, delivering faithfully to its associated factory, until you stop it, or some fucker destroys it or the factory. Note the mini scanner at side. I might drop that , its kinda redundant.

Designing a factory. There are around 20 different factory components and an even larger amount of 'ingredients' and 'parts'. Theres been no graphics design here, as I'm still making this part work. Its more complex than I anticipated, but it sorta works. Note the graphviz generated schemas. I'm a little concerned the load they might put on a server, so I might push the graph generation client side to the browser

edit: fun things to note;- The automatic name generator my galaxy algorithm uses. Seems to generate some hilariously bogo-african sounding names. Needs a bit of work, and I might go for 'ethnic' flavors to system names depending on the galaxy arm, ie eastern-europe sounding for one arm, 'african' sounding for another, and perhaps 'asian' sounding for the third. Also note the negative cargo space in the first picture. Yeah, I'll get to that eventually :effort:

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yeah. Graphic design is not exactly my strongpoint. :(

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

Behold, for the first time ever witnessed on the Internet!

My very first Django project, a humor web site with no moderators, or content writers. Administrated in part by an electronic judge but more than anything else it's controlled by the users.

Anyone can end up having any of their privileges given or taken away at any time! Hilarious.

An unmoderated humor site faces grave danger of degenerating into a cesspit of horrible racism :(

Now,

Re the python thing. Try using IronPython. Works with most python libraries, but should happily be able to work with most anything dot net, and seems to be able to generate happy enough dot net assemblies, etc.

Re the terrain thing. Shouldn't ROAM be able to handle the LOD thing? I've only read the algorithm, but as I understand it ROAM should handle that sort of thing like a champ,.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Nebby, what JS library are you using for that? I've been looking for ages for a day-view calendar for the work timesheeting app. My current hack based one sucks balls.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ah SWF. Fair enough.

I played around a while back with OpenLaszlo, but all that XML made me want to violently assault people.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

My stuff isn't nearly as cool as other people's (yet!), but I'm working on a Subversion repository browser for Windows that looks like a network drive (god I hate COM programming). It doesn't do anything with Subversion yet, but you can browse an infinite set of useless directories!

theres a dot net version of fuse. If its anything like the linux version, its probably awesome.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Anode posted:

A Web front-end for NodeBox's Colors library, built with Appengine. It's at http://colorpsinner.appspot.com if anybody wants to mess around with it.

Seems broken atm :(

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm doing a reimplementation, well more of an "inspired by" sorta thing, of an old Amstrad/Spectrum game I used to love called "Fred" (or Roland on the Ropes as it was rebadged on the Amstrad).

Only been at it for a day. Still a lot of problems to solve , such as how to deal with some flickering issues on the iphone, and getting some alpha poo poo to work for multilayered backgrounds and stuff.

Ima go make iphone games and get paid really poorly for it, but it'll be fun.

edit: I dunno, waffle images seems broken for me. I'll upload it later.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 18, 2008

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

FigBug posted:

I'm working on an ACDSee clone for OS X to teach myself Cocoa programming. It's my first serious Cocoa app. I'm impressed at how easy it is. I'm really liking Objective-C. Anybody want to hire a Mac programmer? I can't go back to MFC.

Thats the depressing thing. I love ObjC an Cocoa , but damned if I've *never* seen a job advertised looking for a mac coder. :smith:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

j4cbo posted:

Important safety tip: don't wire the inverted reset line to 0. :smith:

I gave up on hardware development jobs when USB started to replace RS232. Mindyou there wasn't the commodity USB easyfication chipsets back then.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

IRC bots can be surprisingly useful for serious business.

I was contracted about 5 years ago to come up with a solution for a major news site that was being bombarded by some really psychotic trolls posting death threats against journalists and all sorts of things. The site had a really useless moderation system and they where adamant they didn't want to do signups or queuing stuff for moderation

So the solution was an IRC bot that had an XMLRPC interface , and everytime something was posted it pinged the bot which reported it in the channel.

In the end they managed to reduce the amount of time required to delete shitposts down to around about 15 seconds, which was phenomenal.

I also helped them track down the worst of the trolls, and they dropped a news team on his door which shut him up really loving fast.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'll play the poo poo out of this when you release it. Whats the platform?

Also ....

(Crossposted from iphone thread)

Heres the bad boy I've been working on for months.....

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/29022/545/

Its a full SIP stack VOIP phone, with Speex, GSM, G711 codecs, echo cancellation, ICE nat negotiation, call on hold facilities, SMS over HTTP , everything.

It will literally be the best VOIP phone on the market.

I'm now working on an Android port of the same client.

Hopefully this should be out in the app store in a couple of weeks. Y'all go buy it so this dude gives me more work k?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9cVGTkRCJc

Note: This is the client demonstrating an old build of the phone. I wish he wouldn't it looks but ugly with the non stylized lists and the like. The new one builds loving shmicko.

I'm crazy proud of this thing.

I've had this batshit crazy plan lately of building a SIP client into an FPGA. I'll probably disabuse myself of that sillyness later on.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

shrughes posted:

It's not my fault you're all optically challenged.

I used to work with a guy who was fanatical about web useability that would likely shank anyone who said that within his earshot.

Actually he was optically challened. 100% blind infact. Dude spent more time on the net than I did and would go crazy about the use of images for menus. Which is fair enough when you think about it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Dolex posted:

I'm making a game for cats.

Ok this has me intregued. What exactly is a game for cats?

Pretty much any computer with a keyboard is a game for cats (At least my cat seems to think so). The current game is "Wait till duck hasn't saved for over an hour then jump all over the keyboard somehow managing a command combination that shuts the computer down without saving". She's quite good at it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Dolex posted:

Kinect + Projector + predator prey flocking algorithms = good times had by all.

This is loving awesome, and I would definately like to see a video of it in action.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I just love the photo. The cat pondering this alien bloccky landscape makes a striking image. As if fluffkins had just stumbled into minecraft or something.

Still want to know more about these cat games! You've managed to combine my two favorite things, computergames and cats.

Post videos pls!

duck monster fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 25, 2011

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Whats your render time for that?

e: Protip if you want to make some money off that thing. Heaps of architects (incl student architects) use Google Sketchup to do visualization for stuff. But sketchup doesnt really do realistic visualisation at all. Make a webservice that people can upload their sketchup drawings (you might need to do a plugin using the SDK to deal with materials) and get a render for, like , $15 or something and you'll have heaps of people using it, since the big name ray-tracers are horrifically expensive, and architects just want something they can poo poo out a realistic rendering they can give to a client. So write a plugin that lets them say "This is a wall, thats a floor, this is a roof, outside is some grass, and heres a pool" and do a few test renders (I dunno, make these free but watermarked and lower res) and then when happy get a big rear end rendering back to pitch a client with. Do it with a webservice at the backend so you can just bill by the render, and you'll make money hand-over-fist.

.....and then get aquired by autodesk.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 9, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

What part of copyright law says this is okay due to it being a separate file? I thought a derivative work is a derivative work?

Copyright generally is about distribution rights, not useage rights. Generally useage rights are contractual grants of rights rather than copyright. Its a bit messy and the two tend to get mangled together in some of the more messier modern incarnations of "copyright" law like the DMCA and this loving SOPA abomonation being proposed.

Basically traditionally copyright just covered copying to someone else without permission. You where allowed to possess stuff you didn't pay for, and do whatever the gently caress you wanted with it, you just couldn't give it to people without permission. This was the same for patents too by the way (and I believe still is). You can violate the gently caress out of patents, you just cant distribute your derivitive invention.

One of the side effects of this when software started to come into the picture was EULAs where literally not worth the paper they where written on, and judges tended to basically say unless the person has signed a contract theres nothing in copyright law that makes a eula valid because copyright law does not affect useage, just distribution.

This of course meant that record companies gnashing their teeth about people making cassette tape copies of LPs they owned for listening to in the car did not get a particularly receptive audience with judges who where adamant that making copies for yourself is fine, because you can do whatever the gently caress you want with stuff as long as you don't give it to someone else.

So thats sort of why the DMCA came about with its restrictions on copy protection circumvention. Actually changing copyright law to allow EULAS to apply just by opening the packet (including the clusterfuck where the EULA is inside the packet, and you agree to it by opening it) really was going a bit too far and had a *LOT* of far reaching consequences outside of copyright (eg "by opening the packet to allow yourself to read this sentence you hae agreed that your house is now the posession of microsoft.") , having a click thru agreement seems a fairly good compromise. Arguably the click-thru always was valid (it was really shrink-wrap that was the problem), but there was a work-aroun where you could hack the code (rememeber until you agree with the eula, it doesnt apply!) so that it would install without you having to agree with it, which was perfectly valid pre DMCA.

Where it gets interesting is that in most of the world its STILL legal to download music(etc) you havent paid for , just not copy it to someone else. Which is why usenet is mostly legal for the downloader and torrents are mostly definately not legal (because your uploading to others). I don't know if this is the case in the US. But I've *never* heard of record companies going after usenet users or people downloading of :files: sites.

So in the case of an app that lets you read a possibly dodgy document and makes changes to it. As long as it doesn't crack the encryption or upload it anywhere, I'm pretty certain it does not violate the DMCA . Most PDF readers let you annotate PDFs, even ones with encryption on it, for instance.

Of course I'm not a lawyer, so don't take this as advice or you'll get in ridiculous amounts of trouble, probably.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yikes. That thing must be a total horror to debug.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Shaders are working in my game now. It has a much more "Tron" feel now that I'm trying to move in the direction of.

Dear god, I need to stop working on this and start working on the game play.

Minecraft on very entertaining drugs.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

this catte posted:

I'm working on a browser-based game of space trading and pirate/cop dodging

Codeigniter PHP core with an SQL database and JS flourishes, using CSS web-fonts
Planet art is temporary filler, and the commodities aren't all supposed to have the medical supplies icon.
The movement ring only appears on mouseover of the player ship (which is also filler art).

A while back I was developing a web game that was a sort of a space trader/pirates/etc sort of game, and I came up with a really neat way of crafting trade goods/spaceships/etc I havent seen in other games. your welcome to borrow it if you want. I never ended up finishing the game because I was only JUST starting to learn django and I concluded that the code was just a loving mess (the table layouts for the html didnt help either)

What I did was had a list of various machines that took multiple inputs and had multipe outputs, each machine would take a certain number of goods of type a and b, and poo poo out a certain number of x and maybe z. (Ie goods+waste). You could then hook the inputs and outputs together to create factories. So you might have a refiner that takes in iron ore and shits out iron, hook it to another machine that makes cogs and there might be a bunch of these machines that hook together to feed a spaceship engine plant, and these might then hook together with a chasis plant and a control systems plant to make a spacecraft. This could then be plugged into a plant that upgrades spaceships into a particular type of spaceship, and so on.

The game was supposed to be multiplayer, and the design of a factory would only be known to a player, but they could output the design to a blueprint that could be brought or sold and used with a "factory construction station" to build new ones, and so on. The players would know what individual devices do, but it would be up to them to work out how to hook it all up. It was a lot of fun to play with, but because I coded the game so crapily I lost interest in ever fixing it. Your welcome to use the idea as I think its a great mechanic.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

this catte posted:

I like that mechanic a lot. Armada is definitely too simple and board-game to work with it, but if I ever follow through with my dream of coding a modern spiritual successor to the Escape Velocity series, I will probably implement that sort of thing.

I did more UI work and some back end stuff - the page has a subtle background, map discovery/fog of war is working, the commodities now have icons and the cargo bay displays properly:

I'm teaching myself ajax/json so that the game can have simple animations and not require a page refresh for every action, now.

Just use jquery and feed it html chunks.

The web fonts really do make it look awesome btw. If anyone here hasn't got their head around google web-fonts, stop everything google it, and be amazed. Its a seriously awesome design tool.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Weedcraft. I'd play it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

mintskoal posted:

Domain is squatted. :/

:eng101: unsubsrib.er No retarded spelling required!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

.er

Allowed: third level domains, .com.er and .org.er
example.er type domains are forbidden.

cunts :mad:

Now I cant create my dream agriculture site. goats.er

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

yaoi prophet posted:

Are you going to implement antialiasing? I love the way it looks but the pixelation on the tilted lines makes it look like poo poo.

Thats just really copypasting some shader these days isn't it?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Super Delegate posted:

Thanks. I'll try to add bit.ly integration this weekend. I used twitter's bootstrap toolkit so the page is not just empty space with a form.

Your going to get raped by spammers fyi.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

brian posted:

The second thing is an online version of the first Advance Wars game, using a rad networking library/server hosting package called PlayerIO. It's currently called Clone Wars Online but I hate the name so any suggestions on that would be fab.

Not only is it a silly name, but you'll get into poo poo with Lucasarts for it too.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

brian posted:

As opposed to just getting into poo poo with Nintendo for directly ripping the art assets and gameplay? I mean I dislike the name but I mean it's a fan game which is ridiculously shaky legal ground as is.

And seriously I need suggestions for a new name, Custom Wars, Commander Wars and AWOnline are already taken by other fan projects.

Nintendo have a long history of ignoring that sort of thing. You don't know that Lucas films will be happy with you repurposing the names of one of its biggest IPs for some other thing. They are not nintendo. Nintendos business practices are not relevant.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

poemdexter posted:

Oh man, that's really clever.

It also has the nice side effect that it makes stealth/cover gameplay work.

I suspect the better gaming AI systems actually do something like that, with occasional hilarious side effects like the fact that you can make NPCs oblivious to various things in skyrim by putting a bucket on their head, which I'm fairly certain was not on purpose (since the correct behavior would be to complain or become agro, and remove the bucket, or at least run around hilariously banging into walls for comedy relief)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ynohtna posted:

This new article on AI GameDev contains some interesting ideas on optimizing A* for grid-based systems:

http://aigamedev.com/open/tutorial/symmetry-in-pathfinding/

Not sure how immediately applicable they are to your lazily-generated terrain system, cuatro, but they could spark some good hybrid solutions.

Thats a very elegant solution actually. Would love to see some source code. I wonder if anyones done a python implementation

e: My flatmate (the mathematician) got really excited when I asked him what he knew about "symetry" and then he looked at it and went. "Oh that sort of symetry. boring". I have no idea what he means by it. He's a "group theory" dude.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

SneakyPriest posted:

I've been working on a Breakout clone using Python/Pygame as a way to learn it... Being self-taught, I'm sure my code belongs in the Coding Horrors thread, but I've finally produced something that I'm proud of, otherwise. If anyone has any suggestions for ways I can improve my code, please offer them!

Python code

GIF of the game itself (far from perfect!):

High score screen:

It still needs a ton of work (especially with regards to the high scores - I just got that screen working today, it won't accept new scores yet), but I'm really happy with what I've done so far.

At a very fast skim, its clean, its readable, easy to follow and your not going utterly berk with convoluted solutions to problems that have far simpler and obvious solutions.

Your doing fine and your code is pythonic enough.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Firefox had no sound, but visuals.
Safari had sound but no visuals
Chrome had both.

I dunno?

Looks neato though!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

nuvan posted:

I'm curious about the CheneyCollector...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheney%27s_algorithm

Despite appearances, the Cheyney algorithm doesn't involve invading a non-local state and deleting any structure that can't be repurposed for the current regime.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

munce posted:

Click to jack into the matrix.

Its all still placeholder art, but the general feel is close to finished.

Stick a banging sound track on this, and you have a hit.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

I've owned the domain hack for my last name for about 10 years now. It's awesome. first@lastna.me is so good.

I had fuckt.heinter.net for a while. And then for some reason my domain registrar took it off me :(

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm making a game where you play a drunkard robot trying to steal booze. It was original;y "Goon Dalek" , just something to pass around friends where you are a Dalek trying to steal Dr Who's Goon Bag (Goon is Australian slang for cask wine). But everyone seems so excited by it that I figured theres a possibility of it being bigger than something for my friends to play, and well don't wanna get sued by the BBC. So now its "GoonBot 3000".

The bird like heads a reference to "Drinky Crow" from the Maakies

duck monster fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 5, 2020

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Those sorts of modeling simulations can be super interesting rabbit holes to get lost in.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

GI_Clutch posted:

For some reason I thought about gopher the other day. I remember getting a gopher client on one of the disks we received when we got internet access in 1995, but not spending more than a few minutes with it as the web existed. So I start googling and next thing you know I'm looking at the RFC and, gently caress it, I wrote a basic library that handles some basic stuff like directory listing and downloading text/binary files. Then tonight I threw together some quick code to traverse a server (no downloads yet) displayed using HTML with some emojis to gussy it up displayed in WebView2 (Chromium Edge) in a winform.

I doubt I'll ever finish it, but I think I spent more time goofing around with gopher in the last few days than I did way back when.

I used gopher a lot back in the day, because I was accessing the net from Minix on a 286 with a modem to dial into a BBS that had a linux shell with gopher , irc, and pine and whatever it was that we read usenet from. So the web was pretty hypothetical then, I *think* it had been released (It was 1993 or 94) but I hadnt seen it yet. To be honest 90% of my net use was usenet, that bloody thing seemed immense at the time.

edit: I just dawned on me that Usenet, which was invented in 1980, can do 90% of what people use facebook for AND it was completely decentralized. No concept of anonymity or privacy though. I mean you can sort of do anonymity, but it had no concept of "private" newsgroups. Not really. I mean you could set up a local newsgroup with no distribution, but it was private only to your server.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Early attempts at divining Carbon content of soil from sattelite remote sensing using ~mAtHS~
BASICALLY We are trying to get farmers to give a gently caress about climate change by creating processes for them to tap into that sweet sweet carbon credit eurobucks by sinking CO2 into the ground using various agricultural processes whilst minimizing the cost of instrumenting giant farms by taking photos of poo poo from space.

Next step , get out there with carbon probes and figure out if our machine learning models actually work.

gently caress I love doing science.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 1, 2022