Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Not nearly as impressive as most of the other stuff in this thread, but I just finished the realtime lighting engine for my stealth game! Whoo!

(Linked for ~1MB gif)
https://wi.somethingawful.com/17/1782c8630c19e60efb5ab8a877136696a76aba73.gif

EDIT: With a different tileset:

Jo fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Image search engines are :black101:. You guys will likely get another 'break/rape/pwn my webapp' thread in the next month or so.

http://www.omgitswebsite.com/HotSauce/

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

necrobobsledder posted:

Real men challenge other CoCers to do something and hope someone gets e-hurt enough that they write it out of pride.

Real men are a superset of rational men.
Rational men are a superset of natural men.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Roflex posted:

Going back to working on Generations.

Good idea. Impressive execution. (And good choice of music for the video.)

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

brian posted:

Small point of contention: The shadows are falling in two different directions. Consistency here can improve the (already high) quality of your presentation.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

heeen posted:

Extending on my previous work, now refraction + caustics:

That's very much a thing of beauty. Didn't see much in the way of documentation in /proj, though. Have you a source or publications page?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Not nearly as impressive as a lot of the stuff here, but I recently got moved to the team doing object recognition and reconstruction. Only user input is a single click to select what object to recognize. With simpler objects like chairs and tables, the application can reconstruct 3D models using a single image. It's still very much in the beta.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
When it comes to arguing with AD, the only winning move is not to play.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Better to flatter someone who doesn't need it than to make fun of someone.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Screeb posted:

What's the hue if there are multiple routes to the same location? Or does it only work for mazes with one path to each location?

I'm guessing it uses the lowest distance to the location, unless he's using something other than A*.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Scaevolus posted:

I'm using Dijkstra's algorithm because it lets you find the shortest path between a vertex and every other vertex on the graph, while A* just uses heuristics to find a path between two vertices on a graph.

:what:
A* is shortest path, too. It's also faster than Dijkstra, if I remember right.

Jo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 30, 2009

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

darqness posted:

I have done a lot more work on my maze game including MULTIPLAYER and an editor that is way faster. Also create an account to customize your guy or you can just stay anonymous as a blue square. The starting area is pretty turbulent so if you want to draw something cool just head to the west or east for some clean area. WASD moves and Space draws.
http://www.graphitimaze.com

I made something in the screenshot! :3:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Contains Acetone posted:

The digit on the left is a raw bitmap with 784 pixels and the digit on the right is a reconstruction by a trained neural network based on a 500 bit binary vector. So, the model drew the one on the right knowing only the 100 bit values.

I'm working on a hand written character classifier (MNIST) for a class I'm taking. I'm replicating Dr. Geoffrey Hinton's work using neural networks to reduce the dimensionality of data (using discovered binary features) and then I'm going to use a K Nearest Neighbor classifier to evaluate how good the reduced data is. Once I've done that, I'm going to do a similar thing with a slightly modified model using discovered continuous features and do a similar evaluation. The overall goal is to figure out which method works better. I suspect I should be able to use fewer features to get comparable classification performance with the continuous model, but who knows!

For a broad overview, check out this paper (very approachable to the layman!):

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~hinton/science.pdf

I've been trying to get a hold on Hinton's work since I saw his Google talk. I might pester you for code when you're done. :3:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Finishing up a sprite animation editor which imports/exports XML.

Tile games are fun. :3:

EDIT: Added Internet Janitor's suggestions. Have origins now. No auto-bounding box yet. Also cropped for tables and added blue blobs for added work safe-ness.

Jo fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 23, 2010

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Internet Janitor posted:

Jo: On the one hand, that seems reasonably useful. On the other hand, you created something new that makes XML and will inevitably create other new things that read XML. :cry:

Does it figure out bounding boxes automatically from transparency, or do you set them manually? If you're dealing with variable-size frames you'll probably want some way to define the origin for each one.

TilED, the map editor, exports XML. I figured rather than hack together some binary format it would be easier to just re-use the code. Beside, Python has an easy XML implementation and Java can just copy/paste my loading code.

As for the origin, you're right. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 23, 2010

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Wrote an iterative permutation generator (rather than using itertools) to cycle through an alphabet. Added support classes and hosed with parallel python to create a distributed hash cracker. Whoo lunch break!

It's running locally here because I'm a lazy toss who doesn't want to pull out his laptop.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

I'm peeved that DNF and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are so far away. I decided to start (or restart, depending on how much code I use from Devil Gear Solid) and make a 2D stealth game. Hoping to have a decent demo by the end of the weekend.

I suck at drawing sprites.

Jo fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 16, 2011

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Seven Round Things posted:

Any progress on this? I've always been bummed out by the lack of indie stealth games.

Yes. I'd say I'm close to 35-40% done. The basic pieces are in place, but I need to refactor the mapping system and make the entities less stupid.

EDIT: I should say I'm aiming for release of a one level demo on May 15.

Jo fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 9, 2011

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

wacky posted:

This might be a dumb question but I can't tell if that is a real city or not. What city is it? Cityscapes are so effing cool and they tie in perfectly to the cyberpunk (dream) lifestyle of the programmer :allears:

I have no idea. Google image search for Future Cityscape, or something like that. It, along with the title, "Sneaking Mission" are placeholders.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Sneaking Mission posted:

You should keep it.

You make a convincing argument.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Your Computer posted:

Working on a Runebound-ish turn based game. My roommate and I play a lot of these games, so I decided to try make my own (digital!) one. Things left to do: Everything. :neckbeard:

I see you, too, have discovered the absolute joy of the Slick 2D library. Rock on Slick buddy. :):hf::)

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Cowcatcher posted:

Is there something similar to Slick 2D only in C?

Check out wikipedia's list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Finally made my tileset editor usable. I love sprite games and there are a bunch of good options for map editors (like Tiled), but very few for tileset editors. Pixothello was awesome, but it ran like poo poo on my machine and couldn't import/export png.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Contains Acetone posted:

Working on a user-friendly, GPU-Accelerated, Restricted Boltzmann Machine training system that follows the guide put out by Dr. Hinton: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~hinton/absps/guideTR.pdf

*snip*

This is awesome. I've tried (and failed) repeatedly to do a functional implementation. Any chance you'll put your code online?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
EDIT: :facepalm:

http://cgcad.thss.tsinghua.edu.cn/chenjt/isppm/preprint.pdf

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

From Earth posted:

:D

:3: Preeeety.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Some images from an explosion generator. Posting about it on #gamedevgoons.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Why not just use the OpenGL orthographic camera? A perspective camera at optical infinity is practically the same thing, but you need to mess with floating point imprecision.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Roflex posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the Ortho view but the way I did it, it's still 3d/perspective at the core, allowing free view from any angle.

I'm not one to comment on your implementation -- I haven't seen it. My curiosity is why would one bother doing strange tricks to make a perspective camera into an orthographic one? Why not use an orthographic one in the first place?

I assert the following:
  • Orthographic projection will accomplish the isometric viewpoint you desire.
  • Orthographic projection will allow this viewpoint to be achieved without moving a camera to optical infinity. (Or close to it.) Additionally, with orthographic views, you don't have to compensate for the huge draw distance by zooming.
  • Orthographic cameras offer greater numeric stability over perspective cameras under these circumstances.

Water under the bridge, though, since the implementation is done and fun was had doing it.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Contains Acetone posted:

:science:

I'm probably about a month or two away from putting it up on Google code for those of you that were interested.

:flashfap:

Oh god yes please.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

mortarr posted:

code:
Data usage @ 2012-05-17: 14.27 / 20GB

As neat as this is, do you seriously have a 20GB bandwidth cap? :stare:

On a more related note, I've been working on a 4Chan/Reddit hybrid. Last night I got image search working. There are two algorithms in there right now, but it's a cakewalk to add more.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I posted a link to a prototype game a while back. Ported it to Android and released on the Google Play Store. It's very basic, but it's kind of a fun time waster. There are two game modes: reflex and cone hunt. In reflex, you weave between cars on either side. In cone hunt, you try and smoosh construction cones.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
EDIT: Whoops. Meant this to be a PM.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Perhaps one can cancel the delay on user input? Even staggering the messages by half a second would be almost imprescriptible in terms of gameplay, but would make it much easier to read.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I've been working on a stupid puzzle game for Android and the iPhone.

It's conceptually pretty simple. Take turns. Black moves first. Put down a piece, then slide a row or column. Pieces wrap around the edges. Get four in a row to win.

There's also a super-secret beta copy if you've got Java: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51917/ofu.jar

Thank you to all the goons on IRC who have been playtesting. You guys are awesome. :3:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I've been playing with machine learning. I made a Twitter bot which scrapes NASDAQ and dumps a bad guess.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

unixbeard posted:

This is cool and if you have any details of what you are doing behind the scenes I would be interested to hear them.

You're going to be disappointed. It's a stupid simple thing. It starts by pulling stock price data, then for each company randomly samples tweets with relevant words, converts them to ngrams (order two), and attempts linear regression with the term frequency as the input matrix. For foreign terms (most of them, given the sparsity of the matrix), it pulls a number out of its rear end. The volume of the last trade is the 'confidence' until I stop being l lazy.

unixbeard posted:

To be on the safe side I'd make sure you don't put anything on there about anything you have a position in.

:ohdear: I hadn't thought about that. Maybe I'll have to trade on NYSE instead.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Taking a break from some of the harder math stuff to throw together a UI for labelling vehicle data. Summarily, the air force UAV dataset contains a ground truth, but it sucks dick. Average 'center' can be as far off as 100 pixels from the real vehicle. Since I'm not one to label 12,000 tracks by hand across 1TB of images, I made a backend that breaks things down into small chunks for processing by an army of undergraduates and the interface to add centers and forward vectors.

There's still some usability stuff to be considered, like keyboard shortcuts and auto-switching from normal to create mode, but it works well enough for me to make a few hundred labels.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I get really excited over stupid ideas and it takes me a long time to realize they're stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Newf posted:

Perplexing resume fodder. Does it paste the face over yours automatically or do you have to interact with it?

It's automatic. Really just an excuse to play with the FaceDetection API.