Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Through this I learned that x86-64 is bullshit for garbagemen, because holy poo poo jumping to long mode is a pain in the rear end.

UEFI bro. Or I think if you use multiboot all you have to do is set up paging.

I used to write executives using a set of bootloaders and bare bones drivers I wrote or stole from the linux kernel, when I needed something to have a very controlled latency ... As far as PC's are concerned, I don't think there's any reason to just not use linux. I feel like the linux kernel is now modular enough to essentially be a big driver for any given computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Valtis posted:

I also ended up refactoring my lexer and parser & error handling while doing this. I now have much prettier error messages, and the parser now recovers from errors rather than aborting on first syntax error:

This is really slick! Mine always just goes "you really hosed up this time!" and gives a stack trace. I gotta aspire to what you've got going ...

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
The green one reminds me of the Chinese type 22 missile boats. I think it's pretty dead on. If you had some sprites for them rolling to each side, I think it would really drill it in.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
That is the best possible response. Godspeed RexJericho.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah my company uses karat and I hate it and wish I could skip it for some applicants, but I can’t cause we’d get sued probably. Their live coding is a waste of time for everyone pretty much. I hear it’s better for QA/infra/IT though.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah I agree but it sucks that I can’t use that sort of stuff in place of karat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Also I’ve been looking for some front end thing that I can wrap my head around so I can actually show of some of my stuff in a nice way, thanks for introducing me to remix