Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Null Pointer posted:

I've been working on a level editor for about a week.

Right now I only have sectors, extrusion and sector subdivision implemented, but later on it's going to support positive-space volumes, patches and path lofting.

Is there a specific game it's targeting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Zaasakokwaan posted:

What, like this?...

e: Design-wise, that's about all I control on this project. The colors (a zillion shades of blue and grey, fonts, sizing, etc are all Design By Committee. That looks... a bit odd, but it's been a helluva day and if I can make one person happy, so be it.

Stuff looks like it goes a few pixels farther on the right than on the left. :downs:

Fix this and somehow get the logo aligned with controls AND centered, and I'm sure that for that one brief second after it happens, the world will be a truer and more beautiful place.

edit: oh jesus, it looks like it already happened.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

OneEightHundred posted:

q3map2's approach is conceptually a decent idea: It takes polygons and chops them up until the light gradient is low enough, then spawns area lights from them. The approach I'm using is just faster because doing a scene render and running a big SIMD multiply/accumulate over it faster than casting a light by several orders of magnitude.

Of course, q3map2 is further impaired by its light casting algorithm being slow AND scaling very poorly.

What Q3 code base are you using as a base? IOQuake, CPMA, Vanilla?

How much of it is left? I remember Carmack somewhere saying about how he wanted to modernize the renderer a bit by adding support for VBO's, etc for Quake Live, but he didn't in the end because of time (i think was the reason).

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Babbies first software renderer, uses GDI, a DIB section. It also has a really basic quake style console, and can load, draw, and scale bitmaps, which it uses for text drawing.

It can't fill triangles yet though or load models, so I've just been copy pasting the model verticies / indicies. :(

slovach fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 28, 2010

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
I tried making munching sqaures for it but it's brutally slow because I suck :(

code:
for(int y = 0; y < height; y++)
{
	for(int x = 0; x < width; x++)
	{
		int t = frameCount;	

if((x ^ y) < t)
			set(x, y, color(x ^ 255, y ^ 255, t));
		else
			set(x, y, #000000);		
	}
}

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
I hosed my windows install and didn't back much of anything up so I ended up starting to rewrite my lovely software renderer for the last few days.

Design is a bit smarter and a bunch of stuff is vectorized now like surface manipulation, the math stuff like matrix and vectors, and all the transformation stuff. It also actually has a proper timer so I can set / get the FPS... though it seems too high to get anything meaningful if I leave it uncapped in a simple scene at a low resolution.

It hasn't regained the ability to draw lines yet but if you look carefully you can see the vertex pixels that make up my cube :downs:

Click here for the full 676x340 image.

It's actually less to look at than the first post I made on this because I had wireframe triangles working then... but this is totally more impressive in the underlying implementation of everything even if you can't see it. :v:

slovach fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 15, 2010

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
I felt inspired and got wireframe back in :c00l:

Click here for the full 676x340 image.

Next up is actual model loading so I can get away from this cube already and maybe stress it a little.

edit:
Testing out my new SSE transformation stuff. With no drawing, it plows through 1,048,576 verticies at about 12 fps. :v: It's about 90%~ faster than the x86 version. Kind of ridiculous scaling, really surprised me. About 327,680 clocks in around 38 fps.

I still have a lot of room for improvement. Maybe I'll look into threading stuff eventually, as well.

slovach fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

Maybe I'm just stupid, but how in the hell are you doing that in command prompt?

I just give GetDC() the console window handle.