Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Comprehensive file association editor for windows, with focus on usability. Designed for Vista, plays nice with UAC, but most file association stuff can be set as a user preference anyway. I'll be posting a thread in SH/SC for feedback when it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

more falafel please posted:

sn.printf.net.

By the way, who's in charge of that? The main page links to a thread that's been archived.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

Comprehensive file association editor for windows, with focus on usability. Designed for Vista, plays nice with UAC, but most file association stuff can be set as a user preference anyway. I'll be posting a thread in SH/SC for feedback when it's done.

Finally reached a good point with this and released it. But everyone hates the UI (thanks for the feedback :argh: ), so I'm still working on it.

I took some suggestions from #cobol and broke up the group boxes into tabs.

And a collapsible group box to add a new file type.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Creating a shell replacement/window organizer/program launcher with xaml/wpf. Mostly a learning project but I have some ideas. At this point pretty much all it does is what Start Search does.

Pictures are boring here's a video: http://factormystic.net/sa/shell%20preview%204.wmv

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Addict posted:

If you can make it suck less than launchy I would use the poo poo out of it.

What makes launchy suck? I've never used it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Here is what's new in my hobby search box/shell replacement/WPF learning vehicle:

Quicklaunch shortcuts from your very own quicklaunch directory!

Tab complete directory navigation!

Start search whose results include the directory of the item, handy so you know which uninstaller you're about to launch!

Windows Desktop Search (with query parameters, just like from Explorer or whatever)!

Rudimentary window switcher with pretty DWM live thumbnails!

And a video!

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 29, 2008

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Supervillin posted:

So when can we download the various search dealies? And is it one dealie or are they like 3 or 4 individual apps? Cause I would use the gently caress out of those.

It's all one box. You switch modes with ctrl+arrow, or if you type x:\ or \ it goes to folder navigation. And it's not ready for public consumption yet.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Iniluki posted:

No where near as good as some of the stuff i've seen you guys post. But it's entertaining the hell out of me at the moment.

Click here for the full 800x641 image.

I'm in the middle of remaking a website that allows people to design their own ads to appear in our newspapers.

As we're a "family" paper no profianties are allowed in the ads, but they sometimes creep through.

So for the past day and a bit I've gotten to snoop around the internet looking for swear words to make a comphrensive list.

Watch out for digraphs!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

hexadecimal posted:

Explain please.

heyo http://factormystic.net/sa/fsn/

hexadecimal, I have decided NOT to endorse your program

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

hexadecimal posted:

IS anybody has experience with making Windows or linux screen savers? How hard would it be to convert GLUT app to a screen saver?
You can probably just rename it .scr and drop it in with the rest of the screensavers. I don't know about configuration settings, though, I'm sure if you looked on msdn you'd find what you need.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Default Programs Editor version 2. A UI paradigm? That makes sense to people that aren't me? In my program??? It's more likely than you think!

Turns out wizards aren't a built in entity so I had to make on myself:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I see that my avatar comes up, but the link to my profile has an underscore instead of a + as the space.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

BeefofAges posted:

Who is factormystic, anyway?

Guess which one of these I designed :buddy:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Thanks for the devkey!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

You'd probably be interested in this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/891643/twitter-image-encoding-challenge

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Scaevolus posted:

Okay, Factor Mystic, I'll stop making fun of you for your earlier abomination.

~*^best palz^*~
:3:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Fish posted:

You could solve the problem by translating the whole page then putting in some words, right? I mean Google translate does do some grammar?

This is an interesting solution. How would you be able to pull out the correct translated word reliably, though?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

That Turkey Story posted:

My current Nintendo DS project. Acquire!

Almost everything is done except for mergers involving more than 2 hotels and networking (and I need to make some better graphics).

Ah, I love Acquire. You're probably going to want to choose some more distinct colors for each of the stocks, right now they're all earth tones and sort of run together. Keep us updated :)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Commander Keen posted:

Amen break?

Wait, wha- how...? How in the world? Just because it's a famous clip and a lucky guess or did you actually ID it?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Still cant click to download desktop dimension images :colbert:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Lone_Strider posted:

Just for kicks I decided to see if I could write a light-weight, json-based web service in C#, kind of like Sinatra for Ruby. I know it's a pretty terrible idea, but it's still fun to do.

Interesting. So the method parameters are typed, what happens if a query string matches the attribute but not the method parameter type? Exception? Doesn't match?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

dangerz posted:

Making lots of progress on my minecraft-style game. I have a lot more updates at http://dangerz.blogspot.com as I've been using that as a developer diary. Here are the latest screenshots:

I'm working on loading/unloading chunks now without having collisions due to threading. As you can see, I'm also having issues with my textures there but I'll figure that out after the chunk loading/unloading.

Being really new to game design, I'm still learning a lot of techniques that have probably been in use for a while. It's been a lot of fun though so it's well worth it.

Before I get yelled at for copying Minecraft, know that I just wanted to learn how to make a 3d game and Minecraft looked really neat to try and mimic. It looks so simple to putz around in but when it comes time to actually creating it, it's proven to be pretty challenging.
This is really sweet. I subscribed to your blog, I'm definitely interested in following how this project goes.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Weekend project: A little Nancy extension which exposes your methods in C# as async calls in Javascript. I really like what Now.js is doing for RPC on Node and want to clone it, so this weekend's task was a fun proof of concept.

All you need to do is subclass my thing and write some public methods:

Then in your page, include 'nanio.js' which is emitted by my lib (and JQuery, currently the sole external dependency since I'm not currently interested in rewriting ajax handling)

And then your calls work! Yay!

Todo: rip off the rest of Now.js's features :v:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

Weekend project: A little Nancy extension which exposes your methods in C# as async calls in Javascript (calling it "NanIO")

And continuing this weekend, I build up a NanIO project to try out this stack + Appharbor deployment. It's a Chrome userscript which allows you to tag posts, and then on each page all the user's tags show up, crosslinked to the posts where you originally tagged them. Or, at least that's how it will work, right now it just shows them statically. And you can add new tags with the "+ Tag" link.

(The dark stylesheet is not part of the project, that's just something else I run.)

And all I needed to implement serverside was the first two methods, which are basically just wrappers for SQL queries (also testing out Dapper.net for fun):

And then glue it together in the userscript (excerpt, to show the simple NanIO call):

90% of the project time this weekend wasn't hacking on NanIO, it was bashing my head against the wall trying to get started with Chrome extensions. It is not at all clear what the right way is to get a remote script in a page. Right now I'm injecting nanio.js and my app.js code directly into the forums' dom via script tag, not in an isolated world, since apparently I can't bring remote scripts into the isolated world (and nanio.js is built/hosted dynamically so it wouldn't be proper to embed it in the extension as content). I could include it in a background.html file, then communicate between the forum page and the background.html via chrome's APIs, but that seemed like a lot of annoying work and I wanted something to show by the end of the weekend.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

A screenshot utility I wrote quite awhile ago that I'm in the midst of cleaning up and productizing.

(Screenshot of the application... taken with the application... Inception joke, anyone?)

Placement on the desktop for some reference:

The goal is a simple, compact interface that creates documentation quality screenshots that look like this:

...instead of this (which is all too typical on blogs and forums these days):

I've got quite a few features already written, mostly what's left is polish and to move some hardcoded things into the Options window.

Here's a video of me demonstrating how you'd use the 1-click upload feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA6JNs5f9Iw

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

poemdexter posted:

Doesn't ctrl alt print screen do the same thing?

Oh the screenshot to imgur thing is amazing.

The utility is taking a screenshot on a transparent background with a shadow. Look at the titlebars. Factor's util has a semi-transparent titlebar with nothing behind it, the standard method shows the programs below it.

Right... I glossed over a bit there, but the default configuration is to create screenshots with opaque Aero glass, rounded alpha channeled corners, and Aero window shadows.

The edit button has a menu to toggle that stuff (except opacity, that's part of the shortcut key config, since it has to happen at the time the image is captured. The rounding and shadowing are automatic post process steps).

Also, it's not just upload to Imgur only, it's just that they have an accessible API to get things testing. In the options configuration you can set up any image upload service that accepts uploads via HTTP POST. Authenticated Imgur (like, uploading only to your own account and not the public service) requires OAuth which I haven't written yet. Your own FTP is also on my todo list.

The upload button has a similar menu as the edit button, to retrieve a link for a previously uploaded image, and also the delete link. Currently you supply how those are retrieved from the upload service response via XPath, but that's the way it is mostly because that's how Imgur works, so probably some more work to be done to make that more generic.

taqueso posted:

This would be great. And a little browser with thumbnails that allows selection of the previously captured shots to put into the clipboard.

Yep, the little preview window also allows you to view the other screenshots you've taken, that's the little left/right arrow buttons on the right. The button on the left is the 'heart' action, just a quick way to tag a screenshot as useful. If you're doing a batch of documentation screenshots you're going to be taking a lot and sometimes it's useful just to tag the good on and keep moving. Also, the history is available via the tray icon context menu.

All that demonstrated in this video of a slightly earlier version, but that functionality hasn't changed much since I made this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAqXPLLoj-w

One of the things I personally like about this utility is how you can set up your own shortcut keys to kick off action chains.

My out of box configuration has 'Print Screen' bound to an action chain that takes an opaque screenshot, applies rounding and shadowing, then pops up the preview window. There's about a dozen predefined actions (including Save, Run external program, etc) that you can compose together with your own shortcut keys if you want, but you don't have to. The default config should be fine for a lot of people.

Also you can drag and drop the screenshot from the preview window into a folder somewhere or your browser to upload yourself, or an email or something.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 11, 2012

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

mwarkentin posted:

I made a stylish extension that show Trello card IDs on the main board: http://userstyles.org/styles/61623/trello-card-ids

I saw this retweeted by @trello before I saw this post. Cool!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

A screenshot utility I wrote quite awhile ago that I'm in the midst of cleaning up and productizing.

Getting closer on this... anyone who wants to give it a go can now try out this build I just deployed (link). It's a ClickOnce installer, which is another aspect of this thing I'm playing with. Some stuff isn't finished but the default configuration should work.

Also, I hard coded my Imgur API key until I figure out something else, go hog wild

Todo:
- Out of box/post install experience
- Capture region functionality
- Color eyedropper
- Better uploading stuff (anyone have any tips for OAuth in a desktop app?)
- Documentation
- Website
- Perhaps revisiting in-app editing, at least cropping and probably also redaction and arrows

E: VVV Thanks. There's no metrics/feedback collection yet so I'm blind when it crashes. Minidumps are fine, or also the app spits out a debug log called "report.txt" in %localappdata%\factormystic.net\ProSnap, and if that could be pastebin+PM'd or otherwise sent to me that would be super helpful.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 24, 2012

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

Factor Mystic posted:

ClickOnce install link

Todo:
- Out of box/post install experience
- Capture region functionality
- Color eyedropper
- Better uploading stuff (OAuth)
- Documentation
- Website
- In-app editing, at least cropping and probably also redaction and arrows
- Metrics/feedback collection

More work on this, most visibly region capture (with optional + default region select helper thing):

Minimalist but functional.

Since the app doesn't have a single instance limitation yet, I used the region-selecting capability of instance #2 to take this. :v:

Again, if anyone wants to try this out, just hit the link I quoted above. Also since last time I added Ctrl + Shift + PrintScreen which takes a great documentation quality screenshot of the current foreground window and directly uploads it to Imgur and copies the link to your clipboard. That functionality has been possible for quite awhile, but now it's in the default out of box configuration.

If you're one of the four people who've already downloaded this app all you need to do to update is hit the 'Relaunch to update' menu item on the system tray icon, and it will (should!) silently bring you up to date. Streamlined, no-thought updates are a priority for this app (should be for all desktop apps) and so I'm pleased that that appears to be working.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

PDP-1 posted:

Goons, meet Iris. She is here to answer all your fact-based questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKhxa3MrOqU

It's just some voice recognition and text-to-speech libraries wired into the Wolfram|Alpha web API to create a special-needs Siri in about 100 lines of code. The voice recognition system uses two grammars - one very sparse one that listens for the "Iris" command plus a few other commands to cancel queries, and another dictation grammar that transcribes the questions. It then flips between which grammars are active so that normal talking doesn't trigger queries without the "Iris"/"yes?" dialog.

It's fragile as all heck right now and the voice recognition fails a lot, but if I'm feeling saucy I might turn it into a system tray app someday.

e: The screen recorder didn't do a good job of capturing the voice synthesis sound, you might need to turn up the volume to hear the responses.

Neat, this post inspired me to write a clone myself this evening. What are you using for speech recognition? Are you transforming the input before submitting it to W|A? How do you select which result segment is the most useful answer?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Sinestro posted:

I seriously want to know how that voice recognition works.

That part is the easy part. Here's what I came up with yesterday evening: https://gist.github.com/2865139 (though to be fair I'm probably cheating a bit by using the WolframAPI package from nuget).

But as you can see, there's no input or output transformation that would truly make it useful. One thing I thought of PDP-1, is that if you haven't already, building a grammar out of tokens from the top 1000 google searches, and/or popular proper nouns would help a lot for this.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

If I can't verbally ask a smart agent "How old is Beyoncé in nimeshas" then it doesn't count :v:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

It really does feel like programmer art. If you're a programmer, take that as a compliment and find a designer. If you're a designer, welp :v:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

If only Zybourne was spelled right

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I've been thinking it would be cool to set up a collection of D3.js visualizations on my website, and I've just put up the first one. The goal is smaller, more focused charts that I can do more of, for like a gallery. Click through for the animated/interactive version & source code, but here's a screenshot for the thread.

I'm pretty happy with it overall but I'm ready to move on to the next one. I will say that 1) I don't really like SVG 2) I REALLY don't like working with SVG text 3) D3.js is very nice for this kind of project.

Link

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Bahama.Llama posted:

I thought the same thing, but I remember that sometimes coordinates for images have their origin at the top left, making the positive for both values down and to the right

The axis ticks are normalized to the center of the plot, but up is negative and down is positive which is opposite the traditional/conventional cartesian grid, which I was going for. Just like how all the angle values are reversed because in SVG angles increment clockwise, again opposite conventional unit circles. Fixed now :)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

hendersa posted:

To be honest, I started with Getting Started in Electronics back around 1985...

Forrest M Mims III :hellyeah:

I've got all of those mini notebooks that focus on basic electronics concepts. So legit.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Mapping project, d3.js + topojson + music. I've done d3 stuff before, but not anything with regards to cartography or topojson, so that's been interesting to play with. It's pretty awesome how simple it is to get a map going.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

'sup d3.js + topojson buddy! I made a thing for the united way at a thing last weekend.

They and a group in town that tries to get people to hire immigrants wanted a neighbourhood map that let people visualize what ethnic background people have so that they could try and convince businesses to hire more diverse sets of people.

Nice. Although it may be interesting to represent the % breakdown visually as well as hard numbers, just to make scanning easier.

Also: my thing has music now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

ufarn posted:

EDIT: That Animaniacs piece is awesome and something I've wanted to do. How did you go about lining up the timing of the lyrics with the countries?

Yep, I hand entered the timings. That was probably the bulk of the labor, actually. That and figuring out a way to avoid timer drift so that the timings stayed in sync with the song. I ended up using a d3 timer to continuously check the audio tag's current time. Theoretically I could set up timings for state capitols, put in a new topojson file with a fixed projection, and then have Wakko's 50 States song. But I'm not really wanting to repeat the timing labor again any time soon.