Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Alan Greenspan posted:

There are two main problems that need to be solved before I can move to something less memory-intensive. The first requirement I have is that I need to support undo/redo which gets tricky if you don't load the entire file into memory since you have to keep track of deletions/insertions and their effect on addresses/the file. The other requirement is that whatever the solution to the first requirement is, it needs to be totally transparent to people who write plugins and scripts. For plugins and scripts the whole thing needs to behave exactly like a flat array of bytes.
Keeping a map of edited blocks in a tree comes to mind, along with offering a byte index abstraction for both plugins and your undo-redo manager.

Undo-redo can be maintained fairly easily if you keep a stack of undo-redo function pairs, as even if most of the functions on the stack would be invalid at a given point, whatever's at the top of the stack will necessarily be valid. (This is only true if you can model the actions of your application as discrete state transitions I guess)

take boat fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take boat
Jul 8, 2006

Mug posted:

I honestly think the game is a broken, nonsense mess. Like, I look at it and just think "This makes no sense, no one will ever understand this poo poo. It's confusing and hard to control and horrible".

I hear those feelings never go away, though. Playtesters seem to like it.

"gently caress it, ship it"

take boat
Jul 8, 2006

Azazel posted:

The game my buddy and I have been working on is officially released! So happy.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon-slammers-drop/id962292082?ls=1&mt=8

I played a few games of this, it was fun! Congrats on releasing.