Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I’m looking to buy my first guitar. I’ve been browsing a bunch of places and I’m a little worried about buying from Craigslist/OfferUp since I know very little about guitars. So… since I trust you all, i wanted to check if anybody is looking to sell? I’m in SoCal if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Ah I should have mentioned, I’m looking for an electric. In my (admitted fairly ignorant) search i think I’ve narrowed my interest down to a strat (well, unless someone has randy rhoads’ polka dot V for sale). I’ve got larger hands, so I think that might mean the jaguar isn’t the one for me? Again tho, I’m a total beginner so maybe I misunderstood the differences between them.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Appreciate the tips guys. I think I need to just go to a shop and hold some of these to narrow it down. I’ll report back!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

duodenum posted:

I've had good luck with a couple used guitars from proaudiostar.com, they have a couple 40th Anniversary Squier strats up there. One at $249, another at $299

https://www.proaudiostar.com/search/?q=squier+40th

Funny enough, this post as well as Gin_Rummy's got me interested in the 40th anniversary Squier Strats. Turns out they originally were $500 new, but I found a new one (ion one specific color) on sale at Guitar Center for only $350. Ended up pulling the trigger - only $50 more than used seemed like a good deal. Here we go - first guitar!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Southern Cassowary posted:

this is also good advice.

Thanks for this. I’ve been thinking about it for a bit. I have little kids (1 and 3) so my only real “me” time is post-8pm after the kids are in bed. Because of this I don’t think I can commit to actual human taught lessons until the kids are a little older. So, I was thinking of trying various educational apps/videos that I can do at night. I’ve heard good things about justinguitar, and also plan on trying out Rocksmith (I dropped $20 and bought the 2014 version before it’s being delisted later this month).

Sorry this is veering off thread topic!