Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

FatalT posted:

I even prefer listening to this over Girl Talk, which I had been listening to in my car for the past 2 weeks.

The last 3 Super Mash Bros. tracks are, in my mind, equal to the best of what Girl Talk or E-603 produces, but for their entirety. Those last 3 tracks are truly just freaking amazing. I was originally going to say the last 2 tracks, but the 3rd last one really helps to build up to the last two, and I love the start of it too.

I listen to those 3 on repeat for over an hour at work almost daily. God I love them. The whole 'using Sandstorm for backing' thing works so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Beechbone posted:

I've been in a pretty heated argument over the sample that is the beat starting at 1:37 on e-603s "Wanna Get Low", can anyone help me out? I swear it's a loop from "Time after time".

No, I don't think it's Time After Time. That's used in 'Bumpin' Mandy' at about the 1:00 minute mark. Ask him on MySpace, he's usually pretty good about getting back to inquiring minds.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

danohtwo posted:

I'd definitely recommend super mash bros. I didn't like E-603 quite as much, but I'd put super mash right up there with girl talk any day. and best of all, the album is free.

http://www.myspace.com/sprmshbros

This guy is awesome, I'm finding a new mash up artist almost every 2 weeks from this thread.

I'm working on a mash up album with a similar style, it's only half done (25 minutes out of the 45 minutes I want to shoot for) but should I put it up in this thread here before I even consider posting it in GBS when it's done?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tokit posted:

This guy is awesome, I'm finding a new mash up artist almost every 2 weeks from this thread.

I'm working on a mash up album with a similar style, it's only half done (25 minutes out of the 45 minutes I want to shoot for) but should I put it up in this thread here before I even consider posting it in GBS when it's done?

gently caress yes.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008

Beechbone posted:

I've been in a pretty heated argument over the sample that is the beat starting at 1:37 on e-603s "Wanna Get Low", can anyone help me out? I swear it's a loop from "Time after time".

I honestly don't hear "time after time" in that song mashup. It sounds familiar, but definitely not time after time.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

weekly font posted:

gently caress yes.

Here you go.

I think the first 20 minutes is pretty soild, still working on the last 5-6 minutes though.

sugad
May 30, 2005

Tokit posted:

Here you go.

I think the first 20 minutes is pretty soild, still working on the last 5-6 minutes though.

I listened to this and decided to jot down a few notes as I did so. Some of the advice is pretty subjective to my taste in mashup's and you might not agree with some of it. I have a tenuous grasp on the work that goes into making mashups, so if any of this is stupid, forgive me:

Starts out a bit bland but gets pretty good once A Milli and Come Sail Away start up. I also really like Soldier Boy and California.

Could’ve done more with California, Wonderwall and Bitches Ain't poo poo – I realize you revisit Bitches Ain't poo poo later but I think it works so well with both of these songs that I’d like to hear more of it on both of them. Maybe some verses if they work.

Use more rap verses and less repetition. This is entirely my opinion as far as what I prefer to hear in mashups, but I know that when I hear a particularly compatible pair of samples + rap hooks or whatever, I want to hear a verse as well, obviously allowing that it works with whatever the other sample is.

Ayo Technology + Gotta Stay High Maybe you could mix Ayo Technology a bit louder and work on the transistion to with Paper Planes and Mr Roboto, it's kind of rough I think.

Baba O’Riley + Benny Benassi is awesome

Justice mashup is so/so at first but gets better

Stuntin Like My Daddy is well executed, but maybe another backing sample at some point, gets a bit eh towards the end

Maybe less beat on Geto Boys section? I dunno I'm just guessing what might sound good here.

During the Move Bitch with the whistling, could you possibly integrate the original beat as well? The whistling seems pretty close to the flute in it.

Hell yes on the Dschingis Khan sample + fresh prince, I’d like to hear more of Fresh Prince over that sample before you change it, the second backing sample is the weakest for all the fresh prince section, in my opinion, but the rest of it is great.

From here to about where Throw Some D’s starts was alright but nothing caught my attention. Nothing would’ve been jarring enough to make me stop dancing though

Throw Some D’s was alright, but I’ve heard it in so many mashups it’s getting old.

Anyway I liked quite a bit of it, but there were a few sections that didn't really do that much for me, and a couple that I just didn't like. Overall though it was good.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Here's a linkdump of various mashup artists you might want to look into.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Tokit posted:

Here you go.

I also have no idea as to what goes into making this, but I've been listening to a whole lot, so hopefully that qualifies me somewhat.. :)

You've got a lot of the songs that I've heard in a lot of albums in this thread, but on the converse, you've got several songs that make me wonder how the hell it took so long before someone sampled them. Granted, someone probably heard ANY song sampled somewhere, but the relatively unique ones are the best to me:
Fresh Prince
Africa
drat it Feels Good to be a Gangsta
Mr. Roboto

In general I'm with sugad and enjoying the parts with verses more than reptetitions.

Parts I really like: (and if you could fill in some of the something's that'd be cool too)
6:00 long verse and chill backing vocals: a nice moment to rest

8:06 (something?) + Africa: I wish this went longer

8:20 (something?) + "Purple"

20:22 (something 80s I've heard before (not in mashups though) but can't remember) for a few seconds + Fresh Prince: I like most of Fresh Prince because I like that song and you let the verses go for a while, but those few seconds around 20:22 are my favorite because the "building" background works really well with it

I like whatever backing electronic beat you use throughout the ending parts. I think it first comes in around 23:40 and picks up around 24:00. Around 24:35 it goes by itself for a bit. What is it? Regardless, I like it and it works very well with what you put over it.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying this and I'd definitely like to hear the rest/final version when it's done. Thanks for sharing it with us and I hope these comments are helpful somehow.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

You've got a lot of the songs that I've heard in a lot of albums in this thread, but on the converse, you've got several songs that make me wonder how the hell it took so long before someone sampled them. Granted, someone probably heard ANY song sampled somewhere, but the relatively unique ones are the best to me:
Fresh Prince
Africa
drat it Feels Good to be a Gangsta
Mr. Roboto

To be honest I don't listen to many chart topping songs that were made in the past 2-3 years, so I'm a bit blank when it comes to finding rap acapellas to use with anything because I never listen to the original songs. If I do hear a acapella used in a DJ mix or something I'll go and find it and try and use it with another song and cut it up. One of the aspects that makes mash ups fun to listen to is trying to find out what samples were used in the song and knowing where you heard that song before. But if I made this entire album out of local hipster indie songs and drum and bass people might say I stole all of those songs and gave myself credit for making all of them. Or something like that :effort:

Lakitu7 posted:

Parts I really like: (and if you could fill in some of the something's that'd be cool too)
6:00 long verse and chill backing vocals: a nice moment to rest

8:06 (something?) + Africa: I wish this went longer

8:20 (something?) + "Purple"

20:22 (something 80s I've heard before (not in mashups though) but can't remember) for a few seconds + Fresh Prince: I like most of Fresh Prince because I like that song and you let the verses go for a while, but those few seconds around 20:22 are my favorite because the "building" background works really well with it

I like whatever backing electronic beat you use throughout the ending parts. I think it first comes in around 23:40 and picks up around 24:00. Around 24:35 it goes by itself for a bit. What is it? Regardless, I like it and it works very well with what you put over it.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying this and I'd definitely like to hear the rest/final version when it's done. Thanks for sharing it with us and I hope these comments are helpful somehow.

8:06 is Toto - Africa with Three 6 Mafia - Stay High (Fly because I could only find the censored acapella :argh: gently caress censored acapellas) and I cut up the drums from Daft Punk - Da Funk

8:20 is still Stay Fly with 50 Cent - Ayo Technology and at 8:33 I cut up the chorus of Ayo

20:22 is Journey - Don't Stop Believing? (Some crappy user made video I think)

The song you're talking about at 23:40 is Deadmau5 - Ghosts n Stuff and the two songs before it are LCD Soundsystem - On Repeat and A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It? which samples Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side

I like the last 5 minutes but don't like them at the same time :v:

Bonus song I made yesterday for anyone that wants to listen to it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lakitu7 posted:

Fresh Prince
Mr. Roboto

The Seventh Inning Stretch + Feel Good Roboto

I'll give your megamix a listen, Tokit, and take some notes too.

edit: I went through and took notes but for some reason the downloaded track is much longer than the embedded track I listened to. Is it closer to 30 or 50 minutes long? I'll listen to it again later, but right now I don't want to go through the entire thing again.

Just a minor note for inspiration: You might want to transition into "Groove is in the Heart" at the very end, I think it'd fit well.

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 6, 2008

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Tokit posted:

To be honest I don't listen to many chart topping songs that were made in the past 2-3 years, so I'm a bit blank when it comes to finding rap acapellas to use with anything because I never listen to the original songs. If I do hear a acapella used in a DJ mix or something I'll go and find it and try and use it with another song and cut it up. One of the aspects that makes mash ups fun to listen to is trying to find out what samples were used in the song and knowing where you heard that song before. But if I made this entire album out of local hipster indie songs and drum and bass people might say I stole all of those songs and gave myself credit for making all of them. Or something like that :effort:
Oh hell no, nobody's advocating using all totally unknown music, or at least I'm sure not. I was trying to highlight the songs that are popular but I haven't heard in a mashup yet, because those were the best moments for me.

Oh wow, several of the electronic backings were actually part of the rap tracks. Interesting.

I blame 3am and "It's only ~4 seconds!" for missing Journey. :gonk:

Anyhow, thanks. I look forward to more. I've listened to the WIP a few times already.

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.
If you can manage to find it, Gimix by The Avalanches is an absolutely fantastic mix. Their album, Since I Left You, is also very good and is also much easier to find.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars
Alex H's Bastard Set is unlike pretty much everything else posted here, mainly because it uses almost no rap samples or Top 40 hits (with a couple of awesome exceptions). However, I've never heard another mashup artist pull off playing the melodies of four songs on top of each other and creating something completely original that sounds like it was produced in a studio. Really recommend his stuff for a change from the Girl Talk-style.

The best stuff is in the second half.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

NIGARS posted:

Alex H's Bastard Set is unlike pretty much everything else posted here, mainly because it uses almost no rap samples or Top 40 hits (with a couple of awesome exceptions). However, I've never heard another mashup artist pull off playing the melodies of four songs on top of each other and creating something completely original that sounds like it was produced in a studio. Really recommend his stuff for a change from the Girl Talk-style.

The best stuff is in the second half.

Alex H is great in general. Make sure to check out the rest of his site, too.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm partway through my third Alex H mix from that site and it's definitely an interesting change of pace from the Girl Talk style that's both similar and different at once. It's still got the same recipe of short segments of mixes, but the overall item is a bit more chill. Girl Talk and most of the stuff in this thread is a rockin' dance party, while this for me works more along the chillout/study lines. It's neat to see an illustration of how this genre can encompass a variety of moods depending on what is mixed/sampled.

[edit] I've totally picked up themes from the Muppet Show twice now :o

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 9, 2008

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!

Rusty Kettle posted:

Beethoven's 5th Golddigger

Avoid this like the plague. I don't see why they couldn't find an acappella that had the whole song and not start it from "gina, trina" when the verse comes in. They do the exact same thing in their Gold Digger and Stronger mash.

rbis4rbb
Sep 25, 2005

by angerbotSD
There's a great Biggie vs. Sinatra album out there called Blue Eyes meets Bedstuy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWhIvQ_mcbE

Southern Style DJ's do great work as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra0dkzJ4yW4

LowFatCannibal
Nov 23, 2007

by The Finn
Norwegian Recycling

Notable for making a classic pop/hip hop + Donkey Kong Country remix album that doesn't sound dumb.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

LowFatCannibal posted:

Norwegian Recycling

Notable for making a classic pop/hip hop + Donkey Kong Country remix album that doesn't sound dumb.

I'd beg to differ. A lot of people like that album, I can't stand it, and I don't know why. It might be due to the fact that I never played Donkey Kong Country...

I'll take The Kleptone's Yoshimi Battles The Hip-Hop Robots over N.R's album any day.

LowFatCannibal
Nov 23, 2007

by The Finn

baberaham lincoln posted:

I'd beg to differ. A lot of people like that album, I can't stand it, and I don't know why. It might be due to the fact that I never played Donkey Kong Country...

I'll take The Kleptone's Yoshimi Battles The Hip-Hop Robots over N.R's album any day.

It depends on how much you like Skee Lo and Will Smith.
That Flaming Lips mashup album sounds amazing.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Would it be heresy to say "Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers"?

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

flatluigi posted:

Just a minor note for inspiration: You might want to transition into "Groove is in the Heart" at the very end, I think it'd fit well.

Here's the last 10 minutes again with some changes and additions, also groove is in the heart.
Changed some stuff mid way through too (Africa > Ayo part)

It's starting to sound like a DJ set, is that bad? :(

Also would anyone know how I can go about "mastering" this? I'm not even sure to start with something made out of nothing but samples from other songs.

Versus Boredom
Sep 20, 2006
I'm so glad I found this thread. I was just recently introduced to Girl Talk and have been playing it non stop for the past month. I've always been a huge fan of mashups. This thread has made me retire my girltalk playlist for:
The Outlaws
Super Mash Bros (great name)
Ludachrist

Love it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

You may as well throw in E-603, as mentioned earlier in this thread. They're pretty much the trifecta of awesome with GT and SMB.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've been listening to E-603 alot, I actually prefer it to the Girl Talk ablums now, although that might just because I've listened to the GT albums alot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm liking the E-603 album quite a bit, though he doesn't quite have the imagination of GT, and one or two of the tracks just don't work at all.

Now all I need is a list of his samples.

RoboTiio
Dec 29, 2007
ointernet!
Think I might be the first one to post this, but compared to Ludachrist/Super Mash Bros (sweet fancy moses these bump) it's just another GT clone. There's some good moments, though...

Hark, the Milkman! http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Milkman/9557955114?ref=s

Heard about it through a friend at school, some kid at SB who spins some tracks. I dig.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've been listing to a lot of mashup stuff recently. I really like Girl Talk and Super Mash Bros. E-603 hurts my ears. His last cd just doesn't sound very good to me. To much random stuff, and doesn't seem to fit all that well. Anyway...

I just stumbled across an artist called easter egg. He just came out with a cd called Jackin' For Beats. I'm liking it a lot.

240 samples tweaked and layered to create a 70 minute megamix.

link

Link is from his myspace. If you haven't heard it yet, check it out. I think you will all enjoy it.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 13, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Harminoff posted:

I've been listing to a lot of mashup stuff recently. I really like Girl Talk and Super Mash Bros. E-603 hurts my ears. His last cd just doesn't sound very good to me. To much random stuff, and doesn't seem to fit all that well. Anyway...

I just stumbled across an artist called easter egg. He just came out with a cd called Jackin' For Beats. I'm liking it a lot.

240 samples tweaked and layered to create a 70 minute megamix.

link

Link is from his myspace. If you haven't heard it yet, check it out. I think you will all enjoy it.

He was mentioned here earlier at some point, but I agree with you in really liking that album. I've listened to quite a bit of work discussed in this thread and his has grown to be among my favorites. It has a bit more of a techno feel to it than Girl Talk, and I enjoy how the samples in each song have a bit of a running "theme" given in the lyrics and described in the song titles.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
One more shoutout for Ludachrist. I'm liking a lot of the recommendations in this thread more than Girl Talk, especially tanner4105 and Super Mash Bros.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colin Ex Machina posted:

Flosstradamus out of Chicago are wizards at this craft and put on a hell of a live show. You can find remixes here and there -- my favorites are Act a Fool and whatever the Twista / Sigur Ros mash is called, I forget. They put out a phenomenal full length called Get Outta the Hood, tour pretty often, and still do parties in Chicago. They deserve to be WAY bigger than they are and if you're into this stuff I can almost guarantee you'll like it.

Where on earth do I find this? Nothing about it on their website, nothing on their Myspace, can't seem to find anything about it anywhere.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

LowFatCannibal posted:

Norwegian Recycling

Thanks for this. I've been really enjoying this album along with many of the other albums posted in this thread. I love some of these tracks like When Diddy's Gone and I Wish I had Life Balloons. It just sounds so perfect.

EDIT: To contribute an artist I've also found, Dj Morgoth. He sounds a little different, I've only heard a few songs from him but I'm liking them a lot. DJ Morgoth Download his albums Here

Killfast37 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 24, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

He was mentioned here earlier at some point, but I agree with you in really liking that album. I've listened to quite a bit of work discussed in this thread and his has grown to be among my favorites. It has a bit more of a techno feel to it than Girl Talk, and I enjoy how the samples in each song have a bit of a running "theme" given in the lyrics and described in the song titles.

In the last couple of weeks, he posted a complete sample list for Jackin' for Beats that I hadn't noticed until now, so if you are after knowing what samples he used in that, they're there!

edit: Hey felipebacon, I've been listening to your stuff recently (it's great, thanks for making it!) and I have a few queries:

A) Is the song list named after a random conversation? It reads line one and I can only assume Yatexas is the name of someone you were talking to. It's a pretty good :iceburn:

B) Track 4, "Plus he makes residuals...", is probably the highlight of the album for me where you mash Linkin Park, Bon Jovi and Rick Astley, as it just works so well. Having said that, why did you choose to cut it off at the end like you did? It's one of the worst blueballs ever :( I'm rocking out and suddenly it just cuts off. I personally feel it would've been a more rounded track if it had managed to close off in some way, and possibly also let that last part go for another 8 bars or something to finish off the chorus of It's My Life. Just some hopefully constructive criticism as well as a peek into your thoughts behind your work with any luck!

C) What the gently caress is up with the "On a Bad Year" track? I laughed when I heard it and I just don't know what the gently caress :D

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 28, 2009

Chewbakka
Jul 19, 2007
Foreplay, not war play.
http://www.myspace.com/e603

felipebacon
Jun 19, 2007
i love dongs

Nam Taf posted:

edit: Hey felipebacon, I've been listening to your stuff recently (it's great, thanks for making it!) and I have a few queries:

A) Is the song list named after a random conversation? It reads line one and I can only assume Yatexas is the name of someone you were talking to. It's a pretty good :iceburn:

B) Track 4, "Plus he makes residuals...", is probably the highlight of the album for me where you mash Linkin Park, Bon Jovi and Rick Astley, as it just works so well. Having said that, why did you choose to cut it off at the end like you did? It's one of the worst blueballs ever :( I'm rocking out and suddenly it just cuts off. I personally feel it would've been a more rounded track if it had managed to close off in some way, and possibly also let that last part go for another 8 bars or something to finish off the chorus of It's My Life. Just some hopefully constructive criticism as well as a peek into your thoughts behind your work with any luck!

C) What the gently caress is up with the "On a Bad Year" track? I laughed when I heard it and I just don't know what the gently caress :D

Yea it's just a random conversation. I did cut it off on purpose, and maybe it would have been better if I made it go a little longer, but there's no way to change that now :p

On a bad year is just a random clip from when me and a friend were messing around with a new vsti and a microphone was recording too. I just threw it in there for the hell of it. I'm glad you liked the album. I'm kind of working on something similar, but mostly only have time for original songs right now.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Chewbakka posted:

http://www.myspace.com/e603

Well, I'm glad we can agree on something, but this was posted on, like, the first page...

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
There are a lot of late 80s / early 90s mixtapes that blend hip hop beats with rnb vocals if you are into that. Sorta the genesis of modern rnb.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

felipebacon posted:

Yea it's just a random conversation. I did cut it off on purpose, and maybe it would have been better if I made it go a little longer, but there's no way to change that now :p

On a bad year is just a random clip from when me and a friend were messing around with a new vsti and a microphone was recording too. I just threw it in there for the hell of it. I'm glad you liked the album. I'm kind of working on something similar, but mostly only have time for original songs right now.

Cheers for answering the questions! Also, I'm beginning to fall in love with track 3. I'm liking the gritty style of the bass line. This really has some nice moments in it and I only just noticed on the train this morning that you'd included Ringfinger in the latter half of the album. Nice work :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathandtaxes
Jan 12, 2007

by I Ozma Myself
This isn't as hectic as Girl Talk, great nonetheless: http://jaydiohead.com/