Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Hood
Jan 1, 2004

my flow snatches the earth off its axis

Nam Taf posted:

The last 3 Super Mash Bros. tracks are, in my mind, equal to the best of what Girl Talk or E-603 produces, but for their entirety. Those last 3 tracks are truly just freaking amazing. I was originally going to say the last 2 tracks, but the 3rd last one really helps to build up to the last two, and I love the start of it too.

I listen to those 3 on repeat for over an hour at work almost daily. God I love them. The whole 'using Sandstorm for backing' thing works so well.

way too much souljah boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
I've been working on a mashup album on and off since high school, only lately have I really become any good so I've dumped most of what I had or made the sections much shorter. I have about 20 minutes or more done, I guess. I tried to use danceable samples that would be good to listen to at a house party to get drunk to. I'll post it in here sometime. I kind of hope I end up keeping the track that uses nothing but Will Smith samples.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
On kinda the opposite end of the spectrum, DJ Andy Smith's "The Document" is far from mashup insanity, more like a mixtape DJ set with subtle changes to the songs, but it's really enjoyable listening and flows well for playing at a party. He's the guy from Portishead by the way.

http://www.amazon.com/Document-DJ-Andy-Smith/dp/B000006NX1/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1234185813&sr=8-7

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash
If you like sampling, you'll love Throbbing Gristle!

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Tokit posted:

Here's the last 10 minutes again with some changes and additions, also groove is in the heart.
Changed some stuff mid way through too (Africa > Ayo part)

It's starting to sound like a DJ set, is that bad? :(

Also would anyone know how I can go about "mastering" this? I'm not even sure to start with something made out of nothing but samples from other songs.

Just a cross post since I finished this awhile back.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3044842

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Jason Forrest is a pretty awesome mash-up artist. Check out The Unrelenting Songs of the 1979 Post Disco Crash and Shamelessly Exciting. He's got some pretty badass music videos as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAFXayH1bpY

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Just as a heads up, I don't think Jason Forrest does any stuff under the "Jason Forrest" name anymore and doesn't really make tracks anymore from what I can tell. He DJs a bunch though. He lives in Berlin I'm pretty sure but is around America spinning all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKqGR8qrL-s

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Harry Hood posted:

way too much souljah boy

No such thing :colbert:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I figure I should post this: I make some stuff in my spare time.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

flatluigi posted:

I figure I should post this: I make some stuff in my spare time.

Your mixes remind me of a-trak.

I like them :unsmith:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tokit posted:

Your mixes remind me of a-trak.

I like them :unsmith:

Thanks!

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, though: Fitty One is probably the least-effort track I've ever put out and it's become a bit popular. :ohdear:

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.
flatluigi your most recent tracks remind me of dr. tron.

btw, if anyone knows where to get Undress To Impress and Respect My Fresh, I'd love to hear.

weekoldsushi
Jul 21, 2005

there is balm is gilead
I was inspired by The Hood Internet one day:

C.L. Smooth vs. Avril Lavigne - The Best drat Timing

I'm also working on a thing with Busta Rhymes and John Frusciante, but it's not coming along as smoothly. I got you players a sample up ins:

Busta Rhymes vs. John Frusciante - Murderer's Anthem (SAMPLE)

There's also this really good track allegedly by Wyclef Jean set to Daft Punk's Around The World. I've been digging it lately.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXbeGdPHA7U

weekoldsushi fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 16, 2009

Maka
Mar 18, 2001

Any working links for Bad apollo? I gotta hear this album.

moosey
Apr 23, 2006

by Fistgrrl
This thread has given me so much stuff to listen to. Thanks for this.

felipebacon
Jun 19, 2007
i love dongs

Maka posted:

Any working links for Bad apollo? I gotta hear this album.

You can get bad apollo and the disney ep on last.fm http://www.last.fm/music/Tanner4105

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

weekoldsushi posted:

I was inspired by The Hood Internet one day:

C.L. Smooth vs. Avril Lavigne - The Best drat Timing

I'm also working on a thing with Busta Rhymes and John Frusciante, but it's not coming along as smoothly. I got you players a sample up ins:

Busta Rhymes vs. John Frusciante - Murderer's Anthem (SAMPLE)

There's also this really good track allegedly by Wyclef Jean set to Daft Punk's Around The World. I've been digging it lately.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXbeGdPHA7U
I really like both of these. Best drat Timing sounds just a bit off, the lyrics are a little too quiet at some points. I'm really enjoying the Busta Rhymes though, make sure to upload it when your finished. Also what programs are you using for this?

Woodsun
Jan 26, 2007

felipebacon posted:

You can get bad apollo and the disney ep on last.fm http://www.last.fm/music/Tanner4105

You should put your stuff up on thesixtyone, I'd support ya.

weekoldsushi
Jul 21, 2005

there is balm is gilead

Killfast37 posted:

I really like both of these. Best drat Timing sounds just a bit off, the lyrics are a little too quiet at some points. I'm really enjoying the Busta Rhymes though, make sure to upload it when your finished. Also what programs are you using for this?

Thanks a lot! I'm using a copy Adobe Audition 3.0 I found in my father's office. Only the very basic rudimentary functions, though, since the software is pretty complicated. I'll keep you posted when I'm done.

Guerilla
Mar 6, 2005

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I.
As soon as is humanly possible you must track down a copy of "Pet Sounds: In The Key Of Dee." It's a mashup of the Beach Boys and J Dilla by a producer called Bullion. It's actually one of the more incredible pieces of music I've heard recently. It's an online/digital release, but I'm not sure if it's free. JUST GET IT SOMEHOW.

"Let's Go Away For A While" -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JoiGH03tFU

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
digging up this thread to say that E-603's sophomore album will be released on Friday. I'm shocked, it seemed like it was going to become the Chinese Democracy of mash-up albums, but low and behold, leaked tracks were put up on Hype Machine via this blog. It sounds like this album is going to be awesome.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

baberaham lincoln posted:

digging up this thread to say that E-603's sophomore album will be released on Friday. I'm shocked, it seemed like it was going to become the Chinese Democracy of mash-up albums, but low and behold, leaked tracks were put up on Hype Machine via this blog. It sounds like this album is going to be awesome.

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked his site yesterday to see if his new album was out yet, too. I wouldn't have gone back for at least another few months. Here's looking forward to it tomorrow. :)

[edit]
e-603.com is giving a 404 page, so maybe something is happening right now even!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

loving awesome :D I have been doing the back-catalogue of EASTER EGG's stuff, ie: Lemonade '07, Dr. Tron and DJ Hit n Runn stuff.

edit: These samples are loving solid. I cannot wait!

edit 2: Jesus christ, 2:20 onwards in the 2nd sample, If You Wanna, is without a doubt some of the most fluid mixing I've heard. That is amazingly well done. This album cannot fail to rock so hard.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 19, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

It's up. Holy poo poo. I don't know what I want to do. Those pricing options rock. I'm going to have to think about which I want to do.

Anyhow, because his site will inevitably get raped, :siren: here is a mirror of E-603 - Torn Up :siren:

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 19, 2009

Rummanging
Sep 26, 2008
A fun time to be watching this thread :D I'll see if this new E-603 is worth paying for, I hope it is. And i'm really liking this Super Mash Bro.s stuff, but I wish they'd use more unique samples, because I'm recognising a lot of these from Girl Talk.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Rummanging posted:

And i'm really liking this Super Mash Bro.s stuff, but I wish they'd use more unique samples, because I'm recognising a lot of these from Girl Talk.

They're all really very similar as far as samples used. E-603, Mash Bros, EASTER EGG and GT all seem to use the same, really - their difference is how they deliver. GT is very much a 'central' kind of balance, E-603 is slower and smoother, and Mash Bros tend to do a kinda 'sillier' approach (though nothing nearly like someone like Ludachrist).

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Nam Taf posted:

They're all really very similar as far as samples used. E-603, Mash Bros, EASTER EGG and GT all seem to use the same, really - their difference is how they deliver. GT is very much a 'central' kind of balance, E-603 is slower and smoother, and Mash Bros tend to do a kinda 'sillier' approach (though nothing nearly like someone like Ludachrist).
it's really bad when i'm listening to a mashup and hear a sample and my brain starts putting parts from other mashups that used it over the top

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Moe_Rahn posted:

it's really bad when i'm listening to a mashup and hear a sample and my brain starts putting parts from other mashups that used it over the top

I do this all the time. I think I actually heard Lil' Wayne's A Milli in a mashup before hearing the actual track.

e-603's new album is pretty cool, but it's got a LOT of repeats from other mashup mixes I've heard.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Also, don't forget everyone, that Super Mash Bros is coming out with their second album on June 23rd. A teaser has been posted here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cv1geqbrjmw/albumteaser.mp3

Sounds decent, though I'm definitely agreeing with people in this thread that when I hear something like "Throw Some D's on that bitch" I hear it the way Girl Talk used it, then I think of it the way SMB used it, then E-603, then Ludachrist.

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 19, 2009

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

chrix posted:

I do this all the time. I think I actually heard Lil' Wayne's A Milli in a mashup before hearing the actual track.

e-603's new album is pretty cool, but it's got a LOT of repeats from other mashup mixes I've heard.

yeah, i always think about girl talk every time a similar sample comes up on e-603's new album.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

Downloading that e603 album right now and getting hyped up over the new smash bros one coming out soon.

Tanner4105 put out a new one that I have right now, but I don't know if he wants it hosted since he didn't include the album art in the zip.

I started on a megaman 9 mash up album about a month ago and I'm 1/4 through, same style that TKRMX does, here is a sample track. :v:

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Tokit posted:

Downloading that e603 album right now and getting hyped up over the new smash bros one coming out soon.

Tanner4105 put out a new one that I have right now, but I don't know if he wants it hosted since he didn't include the album art in the zip.

I started on a megaman 9 mash up album about a month ago and I'm 1/4 through, same style that TKRMX does, here is a sample track. :v:

can you link your old one again, since the thread for it's archived?

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

can you link your old one again, since the thread for it's archived?

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/231310/Debit%20-%20Music%20Is%20Serious%20Business.zip

http://www.last.fm/music/Debit/Music+Is+Serious+Business

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
and of course right as i get ready to download it, i check to make sure i don't already have it and find it buried on one of my hard drives

thanks anyways though

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
I just can't get the opening track off of Torn Up out of my Head. Territorial Pissings + D12 is just loving raucous.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

The transition from 1st to 2nd track has an extra beat at the start of the 2nd track which throws poo poo off, but apart from that, it's solid. Love it :)

Reptar The King
Nov 6, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Girl Talk is coming to my school in September but I've heard he is very boring live. Anyone see him?

Also, this thread is great. I love Ludachrist.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Reptar The King posted:

Girl Talk is coming to my school in September but I've heard he is very boring live. Anyone see him?

i'm listening to a bootleg of him playing at yale in the spring
http://www.freeculturemusic.com/

i've only listened to about half of it so far and some of it is brand new stuff and some of it is using some old samples with different beats. not really feeling it right now. the thing about Feed the Animals is that i was hooked the first time i heard it. Night Ripper had a similar impact, though not as great.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Nam Taf posted:

It's up. Holy poo poo. I don't know what I want to do. Those pricing options rock. I'm going to have to think about which I want to do.

Anyhow, because his site will inevitably get raped, :siren: here is a mirror of E-603 - Torn Up :siren:

Thanks for the mirror. I think this album is loving fantastic, the sound is right up my alley and the mixing is technically brilliant, really smooth and tight. Some of the best I've heard. It does have a lot of the mashup-standards everybody is sick of now, but there are tonnes of great 80s and 90s tunes mixed in there as well. It's going in my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Reptar The King posted:

Also, this thread is great. I love Ludachrist.

I'm going to assume this is fake, but nonetheless, go see him live, and go see him as drunk as possible.

I'm just not liking the new E-603 album, to be honest. There are some good moments, but the samples he uses are slightly too obscure for me. However, near the end with Abba mixed with Katy Perry blew my mind entirely.