Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nam Taf posted:

I love you all so here is a full .zip file of the entire Bad Apollo album, on a mirror that should stay up for the currently-indefinite future.

Thanks for this, the quality is way better than the one on last fm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I didn't realise the downloaded one off last.fm was lower quality? That's a bit odd. Either way, no problem!

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nam Taf posted:

I didn't realise the downloaded one off last.fm was lower quality? That's a bit odd. Either way, no problem!

Yeah the bit rate on the last fm one was 128 I believe, yours is 256

lewi
Sep 3, 2006
King
Just in case anyone was looking for a sample list from E-603, it's up on his website here:
http://www.e-603.com/E-603/List.html

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

lewi posted:

Just in case anyone was looking for a sample list from E-603, it's up on his website here:
http://www.e-603.com/E-603/List.html

milkman needs to release one, argh~

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD
listen to super mash bros, silly bitches B^J

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Aerobic Robot posted:

You're kidding, right?

I'm really over Super Mash Bros. A lot of time they will make these really awesome mashes but fail to take them anywhere before abandoning it. I thought "@LaurenConrad Get Us On The Hills!" would be the song of the year when I heard the "In The Middle" sample, but it just fails to pan out positively. The Missy x Disturbed bit at the end sounds cool on it's own, but as a part of the whole song it feels so out of place that it significantly cheapens the effect.

I feel like SMB has actually devolved from their 1st mix to their 2nd... if they really want to move in a positive direction they either need to practice making smother sounding transitions from one mash to the next, or be more like Hood Internet and make really well produced AxBxC songs. The line they are straddling right now irks me to no end...

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Aerobic Robot posted:

what the hell does B^J mean?

hngkong
Nov 19, 2003

Geno posted:

Tilt your head left.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
what's the sample in Milkman's Circle Fifths, "Lovehate", around 3:04-3:16. it's also in Super Mash Bros's All About the Scrillions, "From Honor ROll to Out of Control", 1:20 to the end.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I don't have Circle of Fifths, but I'm pretty sure the sample that comes in at 1:20 in the latter song is Ratatat. Specifically I think it's this one, maybe sped up a little:
Ratatat - 2006 - Classics - 02 - Lex

If not, then it's probably another song of theirs. Ratatat are great but it's hard to remember specific songs.. it's more like one contiguous trip where multiple songs on an album will build on a running "theme" melody.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Lakitu7 posted:

I don't have Circle of Fifths, but I'm pretty sure the sample that comes in at 1:20 in the latter song is Ratatat. Specifically I think it's this one, maybe sped up a little:
Ratatat - 2006 - Classics - 02 - Lex

If not, then it's probably another song of theirs. Ratatat are great but it's hard to remember specific songs.. it's more like one contiguous trip where multiple songs on an album will build on a running "theme" melody.

i can kinda see the resemblance but kinda weird if the sample from Milkman and Super Mash bros were both sped up as they are both really similar. it's probably a Ratatat song though. i bet baberaham lincoln knows, he seems to know his mashups really well.

e: okay, it's ratatat's Seventeen Years. sweet, that's sample's been bugging me for awhile. thanks, Lakitu7.

Geno fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 20, 2009

Diabetes of Beef
Oct 16, 2007

I gotta thank this thread for introducing me to the Super Mash Bros, E-603, and Ludachrist, along with inspiring me to make my own mashups. So, I might as well give back.

The Party Cat Imperative by WTA JRK

This is my first time doing anything this sample-heavy so criticisms would be really helpful.

TheLeakestWink
Feb 21, 2006
You make me cry with one eye

Diabetes of Beef posted:

I gotta thank this thread for introducing me to the Super Mash Bros, E-603, and Ludachrist, along with inspiring me to make my own mashups. So, I might as well give back.

The Party Cat Imperative by WTA JRK

This is my first time doing anything this sample-heavy so criticisms would be really helpful.

it's all the same stuff that every other sample-heavy work seems to use :/

what's up with the end of the intro track and 2:34 of slizzard? both of those sounded jarring.

i haven't make mashups and don't know much about doing so, but i've started looking into it. how did you learn and what tools do you use? do you use Sony Acid Pro?

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD

Geno posted:

it means :smug: you silly little boy

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

theEZkill posted:

BearBot .. some of the singles are great and the BEARBOX MIXTAPE is amazing. I think the link is dead to the 2008 version.
http://www.bearbot.tk/

The first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread was BEARBOT. "Paper Planes" is amazing, and "Out of Control" rocks loving hard.

TheLeakestWink
Feb 21, 2006
You make me cry with one eye
Since there was a lot of love for the Metermaid's Nightlife In Illinoise, I figure this might have an appreciative audience here:

TOR has done a mashup version of Illinoise as well. It's called Illinoize and you can get it here. It's the same thing, ie rap lyrics over Illinoise mentals (+ beats).

I prefer Nightlife personally, but this is quite good too.

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009
This is some pretty cool chill rear end music. Thanks for the share.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
I just heard Super Mash Bros today and I had an idiotic grin on my face at work while listening to it because basically every melody sample they used (read: not hip-hop) I pretty much recognized and it was awesome and I loved it.

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

http://www.last.fm/music/rokhausen/King+of+The+Internet

It's this, this is the best thing.

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

felipebacon posted:

You can get bad apollo and the disney ep on last.fm http://www.last.fm/music/Tanner4105

I know this is from a while ago but thank you so much, I've been looking for bad apollo for the last year and wasn't having any luck. I couldn't remember who made it or what it was called after I deleted it accidently. I loved this when it first came out.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

Aerobic Robot posted:

http://www.last.fm/music/rokhausen/King+of+The+Internet

It's this, this is the best thing.

Hahaha, this is excellent.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Carnival Rider posted:

I know this is from a while ago but thank you so much, I've been looking for bad apollo for the last year and wasn't having any luck. I couldn't remember who made it or what it was called after I deleted it accidently. I loved this when it first came out.

Somewhere in this thread I linked the album in better quality. Here is the URL again.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

we die together posted:

http://www.myspace.com/worshipludachrist is pretty rad.

You can download a full mix on the myspace.

hotel cali crunk is so ballin, jesus

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Might have been mentioned before, so if it has my apologies, but LMFAO owns so fuckin hard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ_pjjt4wh0

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzrwh2Z2hQ

Billboard top 25 mashup, pretty sweet

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Rummanging posted:

Creating an Accapella from a final track and an instrumental track is not that hard, but I have no idea how they seperate individual instruments in songs. That bit really confuses me.

I have always assumed that they draw a lot of the individual instruments from rips of Rock Band and Guitar Hero songs. I know that you can disassemble the DLC and on disc songs, so it shouldn't be that hard to get them out onto the mashup scene.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
http://www.beatallica.com/ for the ultimate mash-up gimmick. Ticket to Ride the Lightning! Face the Thing that Could Not Let It Be! Leper Madonna!

Muttonchop
Jul 12, 2008
I stopped listening to Super Mash Bros as soon as I heard them sample Kernkraft 400.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
I'm enjoying all the new mash up releases lately.

Debit - Every Day I'm Hustlin'

Heres a 20 minute EP I made, it has 4 tracks of hustlin' mash ups. :toot:

Torpeedoh - Party People

A fun girl talk/e603 styled mash up album, personally I think some parts are looped a bit too long but it's still a great album.

TKRMX - TV

12 mash ups of TV themes mixed with hip-hop. TKRMX is a great guy, check out his other stuff. His megaman and arcade mixtape is rad.

Bearbot - The Life Cycle of a Star

Bearbots new album, not sure what to say since I haven't really listened to it yet.

Tokit fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 3, 2010

lowphat_strawberry
Jul 31, 2009
I've been listening to the new Bearbot album, and it's pretty loving incredible.

And to add some content, in case any cares, the new Best of Bootie 2009 album was released pretty recently. I don't care much for it, but I think that some of you might.

http://www.bootiemashup.com/bestofbootie2009/

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Muttonchop posted:

I stopped listening to Super Mash Bros as soon as I heard them sample Kernkraft 400.

So, the last track on the album? You sure jumped off that boat quick.

I kinda like that track though. I wish they hadn't used the stadium-chant version of Kernkraft, though.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
The first new full Kleptones album in ages got released on New Year's Eve, and it's been worth the wait.

For my money, Eric Kleptone is about the best out there for this. As someone said right at the start of this thread (holy crap, that was 18 months ago), it's not nearly as ADD as most, but the mixing is absolutely seamless, and also breaks away from the "hip-hop vocal over 80s instrumental" trap that ends up being quite repetitive elsewhere.

Thoroughly recommended :)

Edit: Grab Voodoo Sabotage if you want a sample - it's turned up in a couple of DJ sets I've heard, so you might already be familiar with it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Wazzerphuk posted:

Edit: Grab Voodoo Sabotage if you want a sample - it's turned up in a couple of DJ sets I've heard, so you might already be familiar with it.

So. loving. Ill.

Has DJ Co-op been mentioned in this thread yet?

http://www.myspace.com/deejaycoop

His website has his fourth album up for download, and if you get a chance listen to hustlin in the heather off his second or third album. Pretty decent

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Nostalgic for 2009 yet?

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

incoherent posted:

Nostalgic for 2009 yet?

This is incredible. Holy gently caress, my mind is blown.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

incoherent posted:

Nostalgic for 2009 yet?

Despite the fact that pop has gotten better since Earworm started doing these, the mega-mashes get worse...

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
In contrast, I think 2009 is the best so far. While 2007 2008 and 2009 all sound good musically, 2009 is the only one that's forming actual new lyrics out of pieces of the vocals of the mixed songs, which is a drat neat trick. It makes it sound more like a new song and less like a mashup. I also think it has more variance through the track.

Also I never really thought about it until now, but this guy is pretty great for being able to make something good out of set pieces. It's almost unfair to compare it to similar artists that have the luxury of using anything they want anywhere they want, without this hard constraint to only use a certain externally determined set of songs.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

In contrast, I think 2009 is the best so far. While 2007 2008 and 2009 all sound good musically, 2009 is the only one that's forming actual new lyrics out of pieces of the vocals of the mixed songs, which is a drat neat trick. It makes it sound more like a new song and less like a mashup. I also think it has more variance through the track.

Also I never really thought about it until now, but this guy is pretty great for being able to make something good out of set pieces. It's almost unfair to compare it to similar artists that have the luxury of using anything they want anywhere they want, without this hard constraint to only use a certain externally determined set of songs.

Considering the vast amounts of music released in 2009, I wouldn't say that his material was terribly limited. Additionally, the whole 'making new lyrics out of existing lyrics' is kind of a 'new dog, old trick' sort of deal.

Earworm has done really great work, and I'm disappointed that 2008 and 2009 came out so meh sounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's not the vast amount of music in 2009 though-- it's specifically only the billboard top 25.