Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006
That "Don't Worry, I'm Yours" mashup guy.

(Formerly known as "that Half-Life 2 remix guy.")
I've been trying my hand at producing EDM and making remixes since 2003 and got hooked on mash-up production over the past summer. Hopefully you'll find something on my blog that will tickle your fancy:

http://perfectlyadjusted.blogspot.com

I'll be posting a new mash-up every Monday and a new remix every Thursday until at least late December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

What's the best site for posting your own mashups and getting feedback on them? I've made a few tracks myself, so I'd like to find out what people think, here's what I've done so far:

The only place I know of off hand is http://www.mashuptown.com/ via their forums. I haven't posted much on there yet, so I can't say what kind of turnaround times you can expect in terms of comments/critique.

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Bathroompants posted:

I've tried a few times, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the vocals separated from the original music. Are you guys just using acapella tracks or am I missing something completely obvious?

Not sure if this counts as :filez: or not but...

I usually use http://www.acapellas4u.co.uk/. You have to sign up an account, and then the most you can download is 5 files every 30 days unless you contribute content (upload your own acapellas or contribute on their forums).

Also try http://www.blacklabelled.com/pafileddb/

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Looking for critiques

I figured I'd toss in my two cents:

Some Jeans Last a Long Time - Your use of samples feels slightly more spread out than GirlTalk's, and that works for the most part (feels more like a solid mix than a single, mash-up song). I really enjoyed the instrumentals you selected, but I didn't recognize most of the vocals (nothing you can do about that though). I noticed that this track starts off rather soft and quiet until the third vocal came in. Was that on purpose? Certain parts of the track change really abruptly, and the results are mixed. Sometimes it creates energy, other times its too unexpected. I can't really pinpoint which occur where. The track ends really abruptly too which threw me off.

Brown Moses (feat. Tonyflamethrower) - Last Night I Wanted A DJ to Save My Life.mp3 - Neat opening! The percussion really captured my attention. Parts of the "turn off/up(?) the beat" vocal feel a little bit off sync from the beat (and not very audible), but overall it fits. Again, a really abrupt ending. I thought the track was going to build up to use more from "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life", or at least build up to something else. Something about the track - maybe the baseline - had this "pushing-forward" vibe, which worked, but then the whole song didn't really go anywhere for me.

Just Staying For A Dance - Whoa that was weird. My brain assumed the rhythm of the track based on the female vocal (especially with the hand claps), but when the next set of instrumentation comes in everything shifts over about a beat and throws me off. I'm loving the "Da Da Da" sample, but the Beastie Boys' "Intergalactic" vocal doesn't fit very well for me until the instrumentation changes again. The Latin vibe is really fun. I hope you do more with that. Again with the abrupt ending! Are these tracks taken form a larger mix or something?

Perfect Trouble - More Beastie Boys this time. Awesome (some sync issues throughout though). I like the bass - it complements the vocals. The groovy synth-pop works great! Not digging the second vocal sample - I don't think it fits well at all. The third vocal works pretty well though (still some sync issues here and there). Love the new instrumentation after the breakdown! Very funky. Yet another abrupt end! You're killing me here! I feel like I just got musically blue-balled.

---

Here's a cross-post from the "how do I make electronic/club/DJ music" Megathread. I'm looking for some technical input from that thread. Perhaps someone here could offer a "mash-up" critique as well? I'd appreciate some input.

DJ Dain - Dirrty Ghosts Get The Party Started (Deadmau5 vs. Christina Aguilera & Method Man vs. Pink)

Note: Just a heads up that I don't produce the same kind of mash-ups like GirlTalk with 20-song-samples-in-one.

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

baberaham lincoln posted:

:awesome:
Mash-up's are not new by any stretch of the imagination. Negativland has been making sound collages since the 70's, and dancey mash-ups started popping up in the mid 80's on college radio stations. Even the super heavy sampling glitch-pop Girl Talk-esqe stuff started about ten years ago with Soulwax's '2 Many DJs' shtick.

Basically, Mash-Ups are not a new genre, and there will always be artists playing 2 or more songs simultaneously. It will always sounds cool. Worse comes to worst, it'll go underground and a bunch of nerds will keep playing it even if it sucks (see ska...)

I wouldn't even call it a genre per say. It's more of a remixing technique.

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

What program do people use to make these mash-ups?

Most people I know use either Sony Acid or Ableton Live.

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Kerk posted:

Holy poo poo, totally forgot about circle of fifths. Just bought and I'm utterly blown away. Amazing samples, tight mixing, and All the Things She Said + Montell Jordan + Hustler just blew me away.

Strongly seconding this. I think "Circle of fifths" is my new favourite album of this kind of mash-up.

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Hot drat, I've been away from this thread for too long and have a lot of catching up to do with all the great music being posted. I'm definitely a fan of Girl Talk's "All Day", but I still need to give the new Ludachrist and Milkman albums a through listen (among others).

I've been working on more of my own mashups and have a bit of a library built up now. Just about everything can be previewed and downloaded via my Soundcloud account. You listen to and download everything here.

Looking back, some are admittedly poo poo, but I'm rather proud the ones that I felt were "meant to be". That is, I was usually listening to one track when the lyrics of another bubbled up into my head, and then I couldn't wait to get at my computer to see if they'd make a good mashup (usually they did). Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also quite excited to spread the word about a new mashup collaborate effort I'm involved in called The GMC:

The Global Mashup Crew on SoundCloud posted:

The GMC (Global Mashup Crew) was born in december 2010. After participating on the "Welcome Back Weezy" tribute album (by Sunset In The Rearview) a bunch of DJs decided to continue to work together. Since they all were located on different places in the world the project was named "Global Mashup Crew". The group consists of 9 DJs: Paul M.B., DJ Dain, Doubleyou, DOSVEC, DJ Philistine, DJ Bahler, Ha! Yes!, DJ Fergie Ferg, and Big Z Remixes.

Here are the albums we've put together so far (images are linked):

Please enjoy. Again, any and all feedback would be much appreciated!

DJ Dain fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 2, 2011

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Oggumogoggum posted:

Hi there Dain! (Adam H. here)

Since we've last spoken in person I've become a huge fan of mashups. I'll give your stuff a good listen. Glad to see you're doing well.

Great to hear from you! We should catch up some time.

This is the latest and possibly one of the most ambitious mashups I've attempted to date:

http://soundcloud.com/dj-dain/am-i-going-down-forever-mashup

Led Zeppelin, Styx, Zebra, Chicago, Green Day, The Beatles, the Wu-Tang Clan and the Steve Miller Band - all of them guilty of using the same descending chord progression. The really crazy thing about this is that I'm still discovering songs that could be incorporated. For example, "Traffic" by The Psycheground Group.

As always, feedback is much appreciated.

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Gaspar Lewis posted:

You're a son of a bitch and I hate you forever for beating me to the punch on doing something with at least the Beatles / Zeppelin / Chicago connection. I'll give it a full listen later, but... dang. I remember from years ago when you were... "still working on your technique", let's put it that way. drat, you got better by miles. Which is awesome!

The only thing I'm wondering is... what's with a lion's share of the dudes left doing old-school bastard pop being German? Just something I noticed as a quasi-trend.

:lol: We'll I'd definitely encourage you to try your hand at your own mix. Maybe you'll make an even better arrangement! I really appreciate your support - four years of working on mashups has started paying off in... let's say "interesting" ways ;)

Which German-based mashup artists are you referring to? I know Mashup-Germany is one of the bigger "traditional" guys. I was heavily inspired by Party Ben and DJ Lobsterdust when I first got into production (hell, I'm still striving to make mashups on their level), and I'm pretty sure they're state-side.

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

icicle bob posted:

Ask and ye shall receive

Thanks for the compliments folks!

Damnit. I need to step up my game - you rock!

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Here's a new release from the Global Mashup Crew:

SoundCloud Preview | Download

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

I'm releasing this mashup tribute-album publicly tomorrow, but ya'll can download it early if you want: http://snd.sc/wN7vie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

I went and made another one of these things:

The Glitch Monster (Lady Gaga x The Glitch Mob) - A Mashup Tribute Album