Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Reptar The King posted:

Why would you assume it's fake? Our campus activities board booked him for our Fall back to school concert. I go to Fordham University, I can PM you the Facebook event if you'd like, or an article in the paper once it happens.

I think because you said you heard he isn't good live. And girltalk is known for being crazy live.

Not to say that that makes him any good, but I just think that was the logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Tornhelm posted:

I've listened to some of his other albums and he can be tolerable, but "Secret Diary" should definitely not be the first album of his people should listen to (if ever). The thing that annoys me the most about him is how much he relies on glitches especially when it comes to transitions, which after listening to Secret Diary are really obvious and annoying. Super Mash Bros on the other hand is always smooth and the mashups can stand as songs on their own merits.

I think people usually disregard Secret Diary, GT went in a completely different direction after that piece of poo poo and it barely resembles any of his other work.

I often forget about that album entirely, so when most people are talking about GT and how great he is, most of the time they're actually talking about GT after that album. I agree that it's an abomination of an album, but remember it's nothing like anything else he's done.

Feed the Animals and Night Ripper are where he shines, and they're both nothing like Secret Diary and far more similar to Super Mash Bros and the like.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ManoliIsFat posted:

No what I meant was you can't call something poo poo that you don't really "get". You just dont' have an ear for noisy glitchy IDM stuff before. It just seems to me your hatred is misplaced.

No, I think the album is actually bad. You can't just dismiss someone's view of an album by saying "oh you just don't get *genre*" That's unbelievably pretentious, almost as bad as actually using the label IDM (no one self identifies as that, it's nearly the most hated label in electronic music.)

And yeah, I am into glitchy stuff, and I liked Artificial Intelligence as much as the next guy, but regardless Girl Talk's first album is just bad. It has no direction, and so in my view it's poo poo. A lot of other people don't seem to like it either. You can like it but don't act like you have a superior ear and people who think it's terrible just don't "get it"

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Whatever, I'm digging it. And coming out this close to the Ludachrist release it's a great time to be into mashups. I really wasn't into the first two tracks but things have really started to pick up.

There's nothing insane going on here, but it sure as hell is fun!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Chwoka posted:

Why do you think other people think Night Ripper is your best album?

:3:

Now we know what Chwoka's favorite GT album is.

I cant think of one specific question or how to word this, but I'd be curious to know something about his past career, and his experience switching over from a professional world to.. well.. being motherfucking Girltalk!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Here's hoping you feel differently now.

At least he tried :)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

kill your sons posted:

Here's hoping you come back to the thread with helpful critique.

I was trying to be nice but Gaspar Lewis pretty much nailed it, you have a lot of work to do. I think you might be headed off in the wrong direction. I don't doubt that if you gave it a lot more work you can make something great but you just really need to rethink what you're trying to accomplish.

Good luck man! We all gotta start somewhere. Are you at a really early stage in making music? If so I think you might be being too optimistic. We all make trash in the beginning, and then more trash, and then more, etc. It takes a long time to get things figured out. You just made the mistake of sharing your early work, something the rest of us hide. Hell, even look at Girl Talk's early work (not to start that up again in this thread.)

I'm not sure what could count as a helpful critique for those two tracks though, other than maybe just move on and forget about them. I really can't think of anything you can do with them. Then again they're wildly different from most of the mashups we're all used to, maybe theres some niche into that sort of thing I'm aware of, I don't know.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Awesome. So awesome.

I was just coming to the thread to ask if there's still anyone out there making mashup albums instead of just the occasional mashup track. So, you are great and this is great.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So is Girltalk ever actually going to do something else? Something not like that last rap stuff?

Is there anyone really making mashup albums like back in the day? Is the whole thing kinda dead?

Sucks :/ mashup albums were such bitchin workout albums.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Rad, just a little into one mix but so far so good. Thanks.

Why did mashups die? Is it just because I'm getting old and my music tastes are old man tastes, and now the kids are into something else that I just don't understand? Why? Mashups are so cool!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Is there any way at all to download their mixes without signing up for instagram?

I dont wanna have an instagram just for that.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I was really into the White Panda, but then they became just one guy and I don't think they release mashups anymore.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

XIII posted:

https://pitchfork.com/news/girl-talk-announces-north-american-tour/

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'll def be attending the Denver show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQC_fHlXxQQ

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I think Bambooyah! is the greatest mashup ever released and it still gets a ton of play with me. It's even above girltalk tier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2rvEV8V28k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJmP5bzgz14

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 24, 2020

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'll be reading until the last mashup drops and every girl talk album has turned to dust.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

canyonero posted:

White Panda's album that he funded from Kickstarter is out on Friday. Thanks to everyone in this thread that keeps on posting new mashups.

This is the final White Panda album, isn't it?

I really think White Panda was the best after the original Girl Talk stuff. Bambooyah! Is legendary (and after years I'm just now getting it, panda, bamboo.)

I'd say it's the end of an era but this has been one long drawn out end for years now so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

webmeister posted:

It's good! But not great, imo. There's some good jams in there, but I'm not feeling it as much as previous albums. Maybe it'll grow on me :shrug:

It was really a headphone mix for me, if that makes any sense. I had it just blasting in the background for a while and it was fine, but yeah not like previous albums. Started listening to it on headphones when I was out and it was suddenly a lot better.