Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Cart posted:

Kleptones and Dangermouse, I personally liked Dean Grey's "American Edit" as well as far as mash-up albums goes.

Agreed on all counts, as well as Party Ben's old Sixx Mixxes, and Soulwax, and Hood Internet, and everything else, too (if to a lesser degree), but if we're bringing up Dean Gray, why not address the second half of the duo?

Team 9 hasn't been exactly active in a few months, but he is definitely the backbone of Dean Gray. He's mostly doing his own stuff now, but if you dig around, you can find some pretty drat amazing tracks from a few years ago. I'd link his site, but it seems like it's busted at the moment.

In the meantime, how about a little Go Home Productions to brighten your day? He used to have every mash-up he ever did in 16 volumes of .zip files, but I guess he had them up long enough. Still, now he's got a quickie mash album up while he, too, works on some original material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

we die together posted:

http://www.myspace.com/worshipludachrist is pretty rad.

You can download a full mix on the myspace.

...oh gently caress...
"Hotel Cali Crunk" kills.
"Bangfest Clip 2" kills.
"Bangfest Clip 3" kills.

These guys have caught my interest.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Tokit posted:

A goon by the name of Tanner4105 made a mash up album awhile back.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2659459&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

As mentioned, "Bad Apollo" was dynamite, highly recommended.

But, I finally got around to copping Ludachrist's Bangfest.
I actually broke out into a huge smile at "Dire Straight Bitches!".
I'm actually going in and breaking up the mix into its parts with Audacity.

Why?
One, I'm an obsessive like that, and I like being able to skip to specific jam section.
Two, this mix is loving dope enough to warrant the effort I'm putting into it.

If you even remotely like either Girl Talk or Tanner 4105, GET THIS drat THING.
http://worshipludachrist.blogspot.com/

EDIT 1: All tagged at the breaking points; I'll chop it up tomorrow.
EDIT 2: Audacity is being an enormous oval office, so gently caress it, I can enjoy it in one piece for now.

Gaspar Lewis fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 22, 2008

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

icicle bob posted:

New mix up from our lord and savior, Ludachrist.

Also, the upcoming mix has a name now, "Talk is Cheap". A stab at Girl Talk maybe?

Oh my God, he's alive.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Halfway into the second song and already he forgot what being "on-key" is. Some of this poo poo doesn't make any loving sense. I guess it's really not meant to be listened to intently and sober... because holy poo poo this is depressing. We'll see where this ends up, but consider the bar lowered. A lot. The mix got really thin when Spacehog dropped in midway into song number three, too. Jesus, dude either doesn't care or contracted something in those biomed labs he used to work at that's only starting to affect him now.

(Ludachrist was at least decent... if the best parts were mostly poo poo he's done before, like the chop routine on C+C Music Factory near the end.)

EDIT: Final score: points for Toadies/Bruno Mars, New Order/Li'l Wayne for like 15 seconds, "Make Me Wanna", Flock of Seagulls/Drake, and a light exhale through the nose at Rolling Stones/Wiz Khalifa. I want... probably about 65 of my 71 minutes back.

Gaspar Lewis fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 15, 2010

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Baberaham you are so loving on point across the board it's not even funny. Let's be slightly better acquaintance-bros for the foreseeable future.

Free use and and its legal ramifications are awesome. Also worth considering are the Avalanches (Since I Left You) and the Kleptones (24 Hours) for their fairly valiant attempts at structural cohesion via recurring motifs and potential for narrative through recurring vocalists and/or samples throughout the whole work.

If you ever write another paper.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Reading all the positive All Day reviews and clueless press-kit John Oswald/Plunderphonics name-drops has me in a lovely mood so if you haven't already you need to listen to Raiding the 20th Century before I break your face. Which I assume is most of you. It might be six years dated but it's still the best audio history of reappropriation I think anyone could ask for. Between this and the strides made since (yes this in some small way includes Night Ripper), anyone who legitimately thinks anything Greg Gillis does anymore is "transformative" needs to jam this through their earhole and then either wise up or maybe die or something else unpleasant.

Tracklist/credits and a link-through to my link are here.

Now this thread can vanish into nothingness again.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
You don't 'fit', and nobody said you have to. It's just that you don't enter into the dialog. If you don't want to engage your music on a deeper level and try to understand the context of it, or hold it to the same standards you hold other art, that's your hang-up.

Then again I also didn't think All Day was any fun either; it felt rote and uninspired. If there was any joy or spark of his personality in there I missed it, other than the handful of parts I got into. It was a big step back for him both technically and in just being something I'd ever want to listen to more than once.

Just know that if the next album is even worse, it's the fault of people like you for not wanting anything better, or anything more.

:)

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
D'awwww, you guys.

BL: "STRT SRNS" and "Hannah Motown" are sick. Gonna keep an eye on him for sure.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Nam Taf posted:

17 pages is hardly long but yes we're all fans of Super Mash Bros and both of their albums kick arse.

Not "all". Definitely not "all".

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

weekly font posted:

Rap vocals work the best because you have very little worry in regards to key matching.

Unsurprisingly, this simplicity is what breeds a lot of lovely and/or "my first" mashups and mixes. They beatmatch and call it a day without any consideration of the cadence or mood of the acapella. The concept of the new whole being a new beast or in any way greater than the sum of its parts seems to be a dying art when the only sentiment people seem to expect from bastard pop is "WOOOOOOO PARTY". There's also the potential to go for an even cheaper shot than that and aim for "wacky juxtaposition" that falls flat almost every time since the shock of the new kind of petered out around the start of the last decade.

Like, say, "Got Your Money" played over "Creep"!

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

pigz posted:

I came back to see if peoples opinions of All Day had changed, the initial reviews I think were pretty harsh overall. I think after quite a few listens I really love it and I probably give it more listens these days than Feed the Animals. He really does have it together than anyone else. I find when I try to venture out into other artists stuff I'm just ultimately disappointed with the production values and usually give up.

...huh? Most of the reviews I read when it came out were fawning declarations of his continued success, save a Tiny Mix Tapes here and or a PopMatters there that I agreed with. To date Metacritic has it at a seventy-goddamn-six, with a long string of 80-somethings. Harsh? Really?

Also I don't get the rest of your statement and how it connects to production values, or why you'd expect equal production values from initial debut albums to late-in-career ones after they've been established as artists, or how people seem hellbent on equating professional production with quality of music, but that's my problem.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Stopping the music for a horrible transition of some guy who makes a music leaving a recording on your answering machine is really stupid too.

Hahahahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

(You said a dumb thing.)

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Here's hoping you feel differently now.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Well:

A Weezy acapella beatmatched not-that-great and a 70s-80s AM Gold song you play backwards and then forwards!!! and end with a fade when you're out of tricks/ideas/rap bars does not necessarily a compelling work make. Let alone twice.

Honestly I was enjoying "Walking on Thin Ice" the most as an atmospheric experience until you just had to bring it forward again... and end it before the number of seconds hit triple digits.

And then you give "After the Gold Rush" a title that isn't cutesy or jokey enough to look like a way to back out of being serious, unless you're being really esoteric with the callbacks to "Dream Weaver" and "A Milli". As if you're trying to say what you did is something wholly fresh and new enough or has so many components that it's justified as an entirely self-sustained piece. But maybe that's me reading too much into it.

For the future? Make me understand why you chose the songs you did. Make it sound like the vocalist feels a little more natural over their backing. Play around with loops and cuts and stutters and call-and-response. Jazz it up more than zero. I'm not asking for my precious time back or anything, but what have I gained from listening to Lil Wayne go Martian over an '84 Kinks song for 97 seconds?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
You're a son of a bitch and I hate you forever for beating me to the punch on doing something with at least the Beatles / Zeppelin / Chicago connection. I'll give it a full listen later, but... dang. I remember from years ago when you were... "still working on your technique", let's put it that way. drat, you got better by miles. Which is awesome!

The only thing I'm wondering is... what's with a lion's share of the dudes left doing old-school bastard pop being German? Just something I noticed as a quasi-trend.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah I was an anklebiter around GYBO while it was still major and those dudes hung around there. Hell, I even remember seeing a few McSleazy posts in the flesh. I remember a lot of those guys and have a few MP3s still floating on my harddrive: solcofn, Poj Masta, Cheekyboy, CCC, Lionel Vinyl, RIAA. Zeigeist heyday Wild West era.

Party Ben is definitely San Fran because of the old Sixx Mixxes, dunno about Lobsterdust, but a lot of the guys still in it seem to be from outside the US/UK/AUS trifecta. Then again I think there's still US Bootie nights (in Boston or SF I don't know anymore) so maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Don't feel bad, Darthemed. This is more or less what happened quickly after I tried to show people Raiding the 20th Century.

Some people just will never care beyond having an excuse to listen to pop music without having to admit they like it.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

I loving hate this stupid planet. Everytime I have half a good idea someone beats me to it by a goddamn mile.

At least now I can throw this out and have it be dead in stillbirth.

(Also, this is awesome, and who the gently caress would hide liking Steely Dan?)

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Everybody shut the gently caress up and pay attention.

The masters are back.

Loops every hour, on the hour. Catch it in progress right now or wait for the next go-around.

From the sound of it, new 24-hour mixes for 7 weeks, starting Monday, until there's enough to loop indefinitely for a week.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Ah, my mistake, must've misread the copy. Anyway: yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
As Heard on Radio Soulwax, Pt. 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Figures.