Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Having loved Super Mash Bros, I decided to give Girl Talk a try. Holy poo poo Girl Talk is crap. Apart from them both doing mash ups, I honestly can't see how people can compare them at all. That being said, Girl Talk does have one useful purpose - it kept me awake and annoyed on my last leg of a trip back home when I was feeling tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I've listened to some of his other albums and he can be tolerable, but "Secret Diary" should definitely not be the first album of his people should listen to (if ever). The thing that annoys me the most about him is how much he relies on glitches especially when it comes to transitions, which after listening to Secret Diary are really obvious and annoying. Super Mash Bros on the other hand is always smooth and the mashups can stand as songs on their own merits.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

ManoliIsFat posted:

I'm sorry but can I lol at this. The dude went from making IDM beats for a free netlabel, then went on to make frat boy mashups. You can't just call those first albums "poo poo" because you don't like them. They're like entirely different things, and you guys obviously don't like glitchy poo poo. No reason to discredit his hosed up poo poo for his jock jams blends. First half of the 2000s was a different time. Secret Diary isn't a great album, but not for the reasons you're saying.

I'm so cool I started hating Girl Talk when Unstoppable came out :cool: (i'm being sarcastic of course)

the only valid reason to say an album is poo poo is because you hate it. Anything else is just overly-prententious bullshit that you should be ashamed of.

Also I've just finished listening to Feed The Animals, and considering how much it hate his earlier work, I quite like it.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 6, 2010

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

ManoliIsFat posted:

That's silly. There must be hundreds of jazz albums you don't like or don't get or just aren't your thing, but that's doesn't make them poo poo. Its not overly-pretentious to say "not my thing".

For something to be poo poo, you must dislike it. The inverse is NOT true - just because you don't like something, it doesn't mean its poo poo. They're two completely different things - its why Secret Diary is poo poo, yet I only hate Wolfmother and Muse.

Edit: And for the other argument that'll come up - you can't think something is poo poo if you like it, because in liking it you recognise there is something worthwhile there even if it has a lot of other problems.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 7, 2010

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

het posted:

Is it currently available for purchase/is it likely to be in the future?

Since I'm fairly sure that their last album never went on sale, I very much doubt it.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

webmeister posted:

Check out Bambooyah as well, I think it's probably their best.

I couldn't stand that Game of Thrones mashup, changing the time signature just makes the GoT theme lose all of its impact :(

Its more that its just a hot mess with the drums / Rihanna overpowering the Game of Thrones theme to the point where it might as well not be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

:perfect: