Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm slowly going through this thread myself, as after Feed the Animals I found myself in a similar boat to the OP: Never listened to any kind of mashup before outside of the 2-songs-together stuff on the radio late at night, which I didn't care for much, but Girl Talk and the other stuff in this style are wonderful and I enjoy it crazy much.

Anyway, something else that ought to be in this thread is the guy who made the fake-leak that went around :filez: as Girl Talk - Feed the Animals before the real thing came out. The real album was Speaky - Mashcore Vol. 2 and personally I think it's really drat good as well, along with its predescessor Mixcore Vol 1. They're both available for free at the Myspace.
http://www.myspace.com/speakymusic

Considering a lot of folk seemed to belive that it actually WAS Feed the Animals until the real thing happened, it's fairly safe to say that they're similar and if you like Girl Talk you should try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Nam Taf posted:

You'd be surprised how close you can get by carefully chopping out segments of a song. You just got to pick and choose parts carefully, and through looping them you can effectively build up a non-vocal version of a part of the song.

If you read Pitchfork's old interterview with Gillis here he makes it sound like most of his stuff came straight off of :filez:. Unless he has access to someplace where they trade rips of karaoke/vocals-only tracks ripped from vinyl, I'd guess that he does quite a bit of what you're saying.

Still though, I've noticed in listening to a lot of albums by various artists discussed in this thread that a lot of songs seem to get sampled over and over again. It makes me wonder why we don't have a bit more variety. Perhaps those songs have easily-sampled sections or sample-ready versions readily available? Alternately, people just like to reuse the samples Gillis used, or even more simply that those are popular/good songs so everyone wants to sample them. I guess each is probably some combination of the three.

Still, I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to make an album in this style without sampling My Neck My Back, Work It, or Soulja Boy somewhere in it.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 26, 2008

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Tokit posted:

Here you go.

I think the first 20 minutes is pretty soild, still working on the last 5-6 minutes though.
I also have no idea as to what goes into making this, but I've been listening to a whole lot, so hopefully that qualifies me somewhat.. :)

You've got a lot of the songs that I've heard in a lot of albums in this thread, but on the converse, you've got several songs that make me wonder how the hell it took so long before someone sampled them. Granted, someone probably heard ANY song sampled somewhere, but the relatively unique ones are the best to me:
Fresh Prince
Africa
drat it Feels Good to be a Gangsta
Mr. Roboto

In general I'm with sugad and enjoying the parts with verses more than reptetitions.

Parts I really like: (and if you could fill in some of the something's that'd be cool too)
6:00 long verse and chill backing vocals: a nice moment to rest

8:06 (something?) + Africa: I wish this went longer

8:20 (something?) + "Purple"

20:22 (something 80s I've heard before (not in mashups though) but can't remember) for a few seconds + Fresh Prince: I like most of Fresh Prince because I like that song and you let the verses go for a while, but those few seconds around 20:22 are my favorite because the "building" background works really well with it

I like whatever backing electronic beat you use throughout the ending parts. I think it first comes in around 23:40 and picks up around 24:00. Around 24:35 it goes by itself for a bit. What is it? Regardless, I like it and it works very well with what you put over it.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying this and I'd definitely like to hear the rest/final version when it's done. Thanks for sharing it with us and I hope these comments are helpful somehow.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Tokit posted:

To be honest I don't listen to many chart topping songs that were made in the past 2-3 years, so I'm a bit blank when it comes to finding rap acapellas to use with anything because I never listen to the original songs. If I do hear a acapella used in a DJ mix or something I'll go and find it and try and use it with another song and cut it up. One of the aspects that makes mash ups fun to listen to is trying to find out what samples were used in the song and knowing where you heard that song before. But if I made this entire album out of local hipster indie songs and drum and bass people might say I stole all of those songs and gave myself credit for making all of them. Or something like that :effort:
Oh hell no, nobody's advocating using all totally unknown music, or at least I'm sure not. I was trying to highlight the songs that are popular but I haven't heard in a mashup yet, because those were the best moments for me.

Oh wow, several of the electronic backings were actually part of the rap tracks. Interesting.

I blame 3am and "It's only ~4 seconds!" for missing Journey. :gonk:

Anyhow, thanks. I look forward to more. I've listened to the WIP a few times already.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm partway through my third Alex H mix from that site and it's definitely an interesting change of pace from the Girl Talk style that's both similar and different at once. It's still got the same recipe of short segments of mixes, but the overall item is a bit more chill. Girl Talk and most of the stuff in this thread is a rockin' dance party, while this for me works more along the chillout/study lines. It's neat to see an illustration of how this genre can encompass a variety of moods depending on what is mixed/sampled.

[edit] I've totally picked up themes from the Muppet Show twice now :o

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 9, 2008

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Harminoff posted:

I've been listing to a lot of mashup stuff recently. I really like Girl Talk and Super Mash Bros. E-603 hurts my ears. His last cd just doesn't sound very good to me. To much random stuff, and doesn't seem to fit all that well. Anyway...

I just stumbled across an artist called easter egg. He just came out with a cd called Jackin' For Beats. I'm liking it a lot.

240 samples tweaked and layered to create a 70 minute megamix.

link

Link is from his myspace. If you haven't heard it yet, check it out. I think you will all enjoy it.

He was mentioned here earlier at some point, but I agree with you in really liking that album. I've listened to quite a bit of work discussed in this thread and his has grown to be among my favorites. It has a bit more of a techno feel to it than Girl Talk, and I enjoy how the samples in each song have a bit of a running "theme" given in the lyrics and described in the song titles.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

baberaham lincoln posted:

digging up this thread to say that E-603's sophomore album will be released on Friday. I'm shocked, it seemed like it was going to become the Chinese Democracy of mash-up albums, but low and behold, leaked tracks were put up on Hype Machine via this blog. It sounds like this album is going to be awesome.

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked his site yesterday to see if his new album was out yet, too. I wouldn't have gone back for at least another few months. Here's looking forward to it tomorrow. :)

[edit]
e-603.com is giving a 404 page, so maybe something is happening right now even!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Nam Taf posted:

It's up. Holy poo poo. I don't know what I want to do. Those pricing options rock. I'm going to have to think about which I want to do.

Anyhow, because his site will inevitably get raped, :siren: here is a mirror of E-603 - Torn Up :siren:

I never thanked you for the mirror. I used it. Thanks.

When he's using samples I haven't heard before, this album is awesome, but whenever I get into it he throws in something I've heard in every single mashup album and I get a little disappointed. Still, it's great, and if I hadn't listened to so much in this genre already I'd be wowed all over again. It's kind of difficult to judge objectively as a result.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Geno posted:

what's the sample in the background with the keyboard-like sound in 2:15 of "Do Your Thang"?

It's familiar, but I really can't name it out of context, sorry.

I wish he'd release a list like lots of the other mashup-type guys do. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

SKULE123 posted:

Anyone have a live link for the Apollo Tanmania album? If this is considered a :filez: question, then disregard and I'll edit out the request, but I believe it was freely distributed with the author's blessing.

Um, isn't this it a few posts up?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh, my mistake. "Apollo Tanmania" has a word from each album so I thought you were looking for the other one.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I don't have Circle of Fifths, but I'm pretty sure the sample that comes in at 1:20 in the latter song is Ratatat. Specifically I think it's this one, maybe sped up a little:
Ratatat - 2006 - Classics - 02 - Lex

If not, then it's probably another song of theirs. Ratatat are great but it's hard to remember specific songs.. it's more like one contiguous trip where multiple songs on an album will build on a running "theme" melody.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
In contrast, I think 2009 is the best so far. While 2007 2008 and 2009 all sound good musically, 2009 is the only one that's forming actual new lyrics out of pieces of the vocals of the mixed songs, which is a drat neat trick. It makes it sound more like a new song and less like a mashup. I also think it has more variance through the track.

Also I never really thought about it until now, but this guy is pretty great for being able to make something good out of set pieces. It's almost unfair to compare it to similar artists that have the luxury of using anything they want anywhere they want, without this hard constraint to only use a certain externally determined set of songs.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's not the vast amount of music in 2009 though-- it's specifically only the billboard top 25.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think it's really pretty safe to pretend the Girl Talk discography begins with Night Ripper. Unstoppable has a few moments where it sounds like that, but Secret Diary is basically another type of music altogether.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I saw Super Mash Bros recently and their show is in serious contention for one of the best shows I've ever been to. Even the staunchest anti-fun "gotta gently caress with my phone instead of moving to dance music" hipsters were enjoying themselves. The band seemed like genuinely chill dudes too. I highly recommend seeing them if you get the opportunity.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Whoa Mash Bros, E603, and Milkman all together in one show. That's nuts. I can't even imagine how tired everyone will be by the end of all of those.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Just Mash Bros alone was one of the best shows with the best crowd I've ever seen, and that was just a month after Passion Pit played the same venue and I left with a feeling of anger and contempt for the crowd that refused the dance. I can't conclude anything other than that this style of mashup is just *that* freakin good that even the most steadfast of refuse-to-dance hipsters can't resist going crazy. All 3 of those groups in the same room would have to be supernova.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Oh, that's cool. I really liked The Bandit. I swear you used to have to pay for it, too. I'd highly recommend people who watch this thread jump on this.

Yeah, Explains it All is great. The Bandit was too. People should get both of them.

All the song titles on Explains it All (and the album) are takes on old Nickelodeon shows. Between that and the logo Super Mash Bros use lately these bands sure are mining that nostalgia vein. It's just titles though; I haven't noticed anything in the music.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 21, 2010

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, that's really good. Milkman is really good. Thanks for the news.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

SassyCommander posted:

So the Yacht Club DJs have been causing a bit of hype around my area of Australia (Melbourne). Well worth a look see, funky as poo poo.

Is there stuff available anywhere for purchase or free legally? Last.fm lists way more than the 4 tracks on their myspace but I'm not finding any reference to an album or anything. Where are they coming from? I like how a lot of these samples are unconventional as hell. Who samples the theme from Roger freakin Ramjet?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's cool that he has the talent to do other kinds of stuff like this but man I hope he doesn't leave mashup to do it. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Super Mash Bros do live shows all the time. They're amazing.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It seems like we see a lot of the same samples pop up everywhere because they're popular songs that happen to have a section with vocals only or instruments only, or released karaoke versions, or have this separation in the stereo mixing: i.e. where these two things can easily be separated. For whatever reason the popular formula is pop/rock instrumentals and hip hop/rap vocals, but that could certainly be changed up. Still, as a result, we get a lot of the same samples.

I feel like we could really see something different if artists were to:
a) change the "rap vocals over rock background" formula
b) better explore vocal-reduction filtering technology to sample tracks without that separation inherently. Yes I know these filters suck in winamp or whatever but there's some good semi-automatic human-assisted stuff out there that could probably do it sufficiently (http://www.mtu.com/basics/vocal-eliminator.htm)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Unless I'm misreading they seem to feel that it would be illegal for them to *sell*, but giving it away is okay? They do distribute it themselves-- just not for money.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The reviews in general weren't so harsh but this thread kind of was. But I'd like to think it's because most of this thread has heard more of this type of music than the average reviewer who probably hasn't heard half of these random "guy on the internet" sort of artists.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
His new one is probably going to be great but with a backhanded slap in the face that afterward he's going to stop doing mashup and make that uninteresting dance music instead :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
New interview with Super Mash Bros. They always seem like such chill dudes.
http://wegotthiscovered.com/2011/01/19/interview-with-super-mash-bros/

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah I'm liking his/their stuff too, though it's not the girltalk style.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
After listening to more of The White Panda, they do belong in this thread. If you enjoy the other music posted here, you will probably like it. I've been really enjoying these all day.

First album:
http://www.thewhitepanda.com/the-white-panda-mixtape-versus/
http://www.whitepandadownloads.com/Versus%20(The%20White%20Panda%20Mixtape).zip

Second album:
http://thewhitepanda.bandcamp.com/
You can enter $0.00 if you want to.

Other tracks:
http://www.thewhitepanda.com/download-center/

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Nice; I'm looking forward to this when I get home from work.
Also note that he's gone ahead and made Circle of Fifths free now too, so anyone who didn't want to pay for it can now listen to it too and have two new Milkman albums today.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Tongsy posted:

I'm trying to figure out which song a sample in Bangfest is from, around 6:50 - 7:05... Not the vocal part but the part under... Does anyone know?

Does It Offend You, Yeah? - We Are Rockstars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf_Rv0hCF6I

If you like that sort of "hard" electronics sound, I would also recommend you check out Add N to (X) as well. They were my first guess and I went through all of those searching for it for you before remembering that it was DIOYY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSNu4TZIkls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGGWrJp4JHA

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I've been going through the DJ Whoquestion material and really enjoying it. If you go through his posts on his facebook most of the links to albums are still valid and there's a lot of good stuff here.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Here's a link to DJ Whoquestion - Hot Plate
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/9/15/219303/DJ%20Whoquestion%20-%20Hot%20Plate.zip

It's his other GT-styled album. I also got Fight at the Opera and A DJ Whoqeuestion Christmas and they're interesting theme albums but they're the 2-3-song style mashups so less "this thread". I couldn't find a working link for his older-than-that material but it's also not the multisong style.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
My earlier search for DJWhoquestion albums took me to this site:
http://www.whatthemashup.com/
which is a bit new/incomplete perhaps, but has a rather nice list of artists that fit this thread:
http://www.whatthemashup.com/artists/

So far I've been checking out this album because he was on their recommended list:
DJ Bahler - High Bias
http://www.whatthemashup.com/albums/high-bias/

And I've been really enjoying it so far too. There are a lot of samples where I'm like "drat how haven't I heard this sampled before" and with how much material from this thread I've listened to that doesn't happen much anymore. It does have many of the usual samples, but the number of new-to-me ones makes up for it.

I look forward to the rest of the material by this DJ Bahler and continuing to go through that list and seeing what else I find. If anyone else starts exploring from here, please share your likes/dislikes with us.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Welp, now I've got a hitlist to go through. I guess it's Fergie Ferg next. Thanks :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

mister ginger posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on the new white panda album?

I like it. Their stuff is consistently great. But I have to say that I've listened to it a few times now while doing other things and there haven't been very many moments that have really stuck out and grabbed me, so it's perhaps a bit less distinctive than I was hoping.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Lancemckool posted:

Never really heard of this guy titusJONES but I checked out this album he just released and its awesome. Lots of current top 40 sort of songs mashed with older tracks. Mostly faster bits but he slows it down a couple times. Only got through it once so far but I def recommend it so far.

http://www.titusjones.com/

This is pretty good but I'm really really sick of the way he loudly whispers TITUS JONES at the start of every track. It's jarring. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I can respect it, but that doesn't stop it from annoying me to the point where I won't listen to it very often or promote it like he wants. Certainly it's preferable to him not making music or distributing it, but to the degree one can complain about such a thing in a free product, it's annoying.

The way some others do it at the start/end of the whole album (if I remember correctly, the Lil John sample in question was like that) doesn't really bother me so much. It's annoying, but at least it doesn't interrupt the flow of the album, and it isn't 15 times per hour.

I thought the best was on one of Milkman's albums where he just used that "I wish the milkman would deliver my mail" sample a few times; it was cute and fit well, though obviously that can't be done by a guy whose artist name isn't a dictionary word.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
New DJ Bahler album is out
https://www.facebook.com/notes/dj-bahler/free-the-snares/10150325070146110

His last one has turned into one of my favorites so I have high hopes. He tends to break the "rap vocals over rock/pop beats" mold a lot and do other combos, so I enjoy the novelty, I think.