Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I like it too, and look forward to hopefully hearing more from you in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I've been really enjoying this album today:
http://www.whatthemashup.com/albums/lonely-bee-dance-club/
http://graycat.bandcamp.com/

quote:

This is not your typical mashup album. No obnoxious mainstream pop here. Composed of mostly rap acapellas over trip-hop and dubstep, Lonely Bee Dance Club is a refreshing change from a lot of the mashup albums out there today.

I have nothing against said mainstream pop, but the result is a really chill album with a very different sample set and feel than most other mashups, and the novelty is interesting.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Pros: He has a good diversity of samples and I heard some things I haven't before.
Cons: He didn't mix them as well as he could have in a lot of places.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think Smoke Show is basically the opposite of All Day. Smoke Show has good sample diversity and mediocre mixing. All Day has played-out samples but fabulous mixing.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
One way or another I'm glad the band posted links for download. I've been waiting for that for a long time. :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

pbpancho posted:

Definitely check this out if you like Mashups. Happening right now on Turntable.fm, 3LAU is on in 20mins or so. https://www.facebook.com/events/174967815932060/

I only caught a little bit of that particular event, but it's introduced me to
http://turntable.fm/mashupfm
as a whole, which I've been finding totally awesome ever since. I can just load that up and have a constant stream live-human-chosen mashups running anytime I want it. It seems to be populated pretty much always, and it's great. I would definitely recommend it to anyone in this thread.

dragonystic posted:

oh wow. i played in that! (in different room from 3lau though)

http://soundcloud.com/dragonystic/graycat-wreck-em-extended-edit

that track tore it up.

Oh, wait, so you ARE Graycat? I like your work. Keep it up! And welcome to the forums. :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The Joan Jett part is good, but my favorites are Wild Wild West x Tonto, and Telephone x whichever Ratatat song that is.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 3, 2012

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
More Bahler is always enjoyed, as he's made some of my favorite overall mashup albums, but after some time to digest it I don't think this is quite up there with his best works, even if he did use some video game songs that have a special place in my heart.

This Daniel Kim guy is new to me though, and he's doing a great job. The Earworm comparison is certainly apt since he's executing roughly the same idea, but he's making it work. Unlike Earworm he's not reproducing Earworm's signature trick of having the mashed lyrics to form complete half-coherent sentences, but I haven't seen anyone else even try that. But on the positive, I like that he mixes up his background track a bit more instead of picking one and expecting it to carry the entire 6-8 minute mashup, as Earworm does. I'd recommend, and thanks for sharing.

Does anybody else do that "mixed lyrics make sense" thing and I just haven't noticed?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think I've listened to everything ever mentioned in this thread and poo poo Computer is the only one that I remember actively disliking. This sort of taste is entirely subjective and I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but it's definitely quite different from most of the other music here. It's entirely possible for you to dislike it but go hog wild with the rest of these artists.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
If you use gmail, check your spam folder if you don't immediately receive the download e-mail from the site. All five of my repeated attempts landed in there.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think I like Isonine's better than Earworm's or Dantology this year, but I think he's also operating by different rules. If I remember correctly, Earmworm and Dantology force themselves to specific top lists, and I'm pretty sure a lot of the songs that make me like Isonine's didn't hit top40 or whatever.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Here's another year-end mashup that barely skirted in before the deadline. Pretty catchy.

Robin Skouteris - Pop Love 2 (2013)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s82ALeqqeCw

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I like the second half, which actually sounds like a fun dance song. The first half is too slow for my taste, which also describes most of Earmworm's this year. In a way I'm really impressed by how difficult it's got to be for Earworm to tie both hands behind his back by forcing himself both to make semi-coherent lyrical sentences and to follow a strict song list. With this year's musical tempo I'm less enjoying it musically and more "well that's nice technically but kind of boring". Trademark is new to me but it's a fun dance song throughout.

Earworm seems to pick one song each year to base the whole thing around and for the past several years those just haven't been as catchy as back around 2009. This year Isosine and Trademark went with Boom Clap and Avici which were catchier choices to put stuff over.

Looking forward to Dantology though I just listened to 2013 and it feels a lot more jumbled than I remember thinking it was last year.

If it explains any of my mashup taste, I got into this late with Feed The Animals and went nuts for a few years listening to almost entirely mashup during the wave that followed.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Geno posted:

i like last year's isonine but not feeling this one.

As someone who only realized a few minutes ago during the opening "how do you pronounce that?" bit that his name is apparently isosine, I feel really validated right now.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Agreed. I dig it too, and soundcloud helpfully kept playing more of his catalog that I've missed recently.

[edit] Really like this especially: https://soundcloud.com/titusjones/clarity-kids

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 12, 2014

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm going to disagree and say I don't really like this year's Dantology. He's got a bunch of parts that's layering vocals over vocals that just become unintelligible and it's nails on a chalkboard to me. There's a few nice moments but overall the vocals-on-vocals ones ruin it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
poo poo, I didn't know they were gone :(
They were seriously one of the best live shows I've ever been to. Even the "stand with arms crossed/texting" crowd that dominates the back row of every show were dancing their faces off. I can't compare to other mashup shows though; it's the only one I've seen, sadly. :(