Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

What's the best site for posting your own mashups and getting feedback on them? I've made a few tracks myself, so I'd like to find out what people think, here's what I've done so far:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

felipebacon posted:

I saw some people mention my stuff (tanner4105) and I haven't had any of the albums hosted in a while, so I uploaded the tracks to last.fm for stream and download

http://www.last.fm/music/tanner4105

I just noticed this page existed a few days ago, I have no idea who made it.

I really like your work, it's interesting to listen to, lots of fun stuff going on.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'd really encourage anyone who enjoys mash-up music to give it a shot themselves. Acid Pro 6 has a 30 day trial, and it's pretty straight forward to use with a little direction. I've only been doing it a couple of months, and I've found it to be an extremely enjoyable hobby, especially as I'm teaching myself along the way, so there's a nice sense of exploration and discovery there.

My technique is probably a bit inefficent though, I stick a bunch of music on my iPod, and while I'm travelling to work I rate any songs that might be good for sampling with 5 stars, and when I get home I open iTunes and work my way through the top rated songs, beatmapping and chopping them up into little pieces. Then I'll listen through my big list of samples until I find something good, then start seeing which samples compliment it and start building up the track from their.
Then I try to figure out a transition that doesn't suck, and find a nice acapella sample to layer on top of the first section, and repeat the same process for the next section.
Once I've got a few sections done I'll see if I can add any other background samples to make things more interesting.

I'm guessing felipebacon has a better method, especially as I taught myself how to use Acid
Pro, but if you really like mashup music then I think you would find it very enjoyable to do it yourself, even if you aren't quite up to Girl Talk's level.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've made a new track, which is mainly New Order and the Beastie Boys, plus lots of other stuff. It's probably the best track I've done so far:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Check Shareminer, I find alot of songs I want to get the acapella for are already floating about somewhere.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've found 12 inch versions of songs tend to have longer introductions without any vocals, so they are ideal for sampling.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

overtone posted:

I'd love to get more information on creating mash-ups. Does anyone have any more tips or tricks? Maybe we could get a list of software and tutorial websites going.

I'd be happy to give any advice, as limited as my knowledge is. It's just fun to make your own mashups, and I find I listen to my own alot more then any others just because it's music I like anyway, and if I didn't think it sounded cool I wouldn't have made it into an mp3 in the first place.

I've found it's also really opened my eyes to music I wouldn't have really listened to, stuff like early electro music, European early 80's disco, and alot of other genre's that are new to me.

Personally I've found the most difficult thing to do is to create decent transitions between the different parts of my songs. I've got lots of interesting and fun ideas that I've put together, but because I can't get them to transistion nicely into each other they aren't really much use, but when I figure out how to actually make it work it's very satisfying. I listened to alot of Girl Talk to figure out how he did it, then tried to replicate some of the techniques in my own music, to varying degrees of success.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Finding awesome samples that Girl Talk or someone else hasn't got to already is a real pain in the arse.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well with my limited experience of this sort of thing I've really only used Acid Pro, so my exclusion of other software isn't a judgement on them, just a reflection of my lack of experience. It's very nice though, the beatmapping tool makes things ALOT easier.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Thanks for the input on the track, I think my tendency to end thing suddenly on the good bits comes from a sense that I want to end on a high, and I think I need a bit more practise working on the endings. I'm thinking that eventually I'll try to combine the 4 tracks, but I'm going to have to take a break from it for a little while, just as I was getting into the swing of things. At least I can still find lots of mp3's to sample, then when I have more free time go crazy. Once I get back home from work I'll give your track a listen.

I've got loads of acapella versions of songs, if it was acceptable and unbannable I would post them somewhere everyone could download them from, but I'm a bit vague on whether posting acapella's is an okay thing to do here.

I think mashups will be around for a long time, seeing it's just like mixing with digital editing packages. Or rap where you sample the music and lyrics instead of just the music.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've been listening to E-603 alot, I actually prefer it to the Girl Talk ablums now, although that might just because I've listened to the GT albums alot.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's another E603 teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGhVyy5GVS4

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've been working my way backwards through the mix-tapes, some of the tracks on their are really fantastic, some of my favourite mashups.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

That whole section starting with loving Tim Allen grunting is fantastic. Yeah you get elaborate cum jokes like 'Bustin', but some of that stuff is really well put together.

I like Bustin because it's both a really crude joke and a really clever edit if the original song, and I love that dissonance, the gulf between really clever and really stupid. Then it's followed with the Stairway to Heaven-Scrubs track, which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just got to this track, the juxtaposition between music and vocals is brilliant.

https://youtu.be/DsoCe7C4Kmk