Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Bathroompants posted:

I've tried a few times, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the vocals separated from the original music. Are you guys just using acapella tracks or am I missing something completely obvious?
They're usually on the 12" single or sometimes the cd single of a song. You can't seperate the vocals out of a mixdown song. Once in a blue moon, you can add an inverted left signal to the right signal, and sometimes you'll get some destructive interference and all you'll be left with is some vocals in a messed up phase, but 95% of the time this stuff comes from a record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

overtone posted:

I know you mentioned Acid Pro, is there any other software you use or would recommend?
Ableton Live is the easiest for warping the vocals nicely. I like cutting up stuff in Fruity Loops, but that's just me.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Just as a heads up, I don't think Jason Forrest does any stuff under the "Jason Forrest" name anymore and doesn't really make tracks anymore from what I can tell. He DJs a bunch though. He lives in Berlin I'm pretty sure but is around America spinning all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKqGR8qrL-s

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Rummanging posted:

Creating an Accapella from a final track and an instrumental track is not that hard, but I have no idea how they seperate individual instruments in songs. That bit really confuses me.
You really can't do it. Sometimes it'll work, but most of the time that trick of inverting the left track and adding it to the left track just makes the track sound crazy.

Most people get the raw vox from singles/bootlegs. But failing that there's a lot you CAN do where the songs will naturaully line up and some creative production (mostly eqing) can make them sound really great together and not clash at all.

But most of the reason you'll hear the same older, popular rap over 30 different songs is because that's a song with an accapella of the vocal track is out there. Its nothing the individual remixers to.

Jet Age posted:

What do people recommend for GT 'Unstoppable fans? I like the cut up, dense, fractured sound and the pace. I thought Secret Diary and Nightripper were a bit slow, although still fantastic. Listening to Ludachrist and Super Mash Bros at the moment and it is close, but not quite there.

Edit: Actually Venetian Snares kind of sounds close.
There's a whole world of bleep blorps and sounds to explore. Check Kid 606s "The Action Packed Mentalist Brings You The loving Jams" or his shotgun wedding mix to see the mashup formula taken to an extreme. And then after that listen to more Kid 606 songs and just lose yourself in the breakcore and IDM worlds.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tornhelm posted:

I've listened to some of his other albums and he can be tolerable, but "Secret Diary" should definitely not be the first album of his people should listen to (if ever). The thing that annoys me the most about him is how much he relies on glitches especially when it comes to transitions, which after listening to Secret Diary are really obvious and annoying. Super Mash Bros on the other hand is always smooth and the mashups can stand as songs on their own merits.

BrainDance posted:

I think people usually disregard Secret Diary, GT went in a completely different direction after that piece of poo poo and it barely resembles any of his other work.

I often forget about that album entirely, so when most people are talking about GT and how great he is, most of the time they're actually talking about GT after that album. I agree that it's an abomination of an album, but remember it's nothing like anything else he's done.

Feed the Animals and Night Ripper are where he shines, and they're both nothing like Secret Diary and far more similar to Super Mash Bros and the like.
I'm sorry but can I lol at this. The dude went from making IDM beats for a free netlabel, then went on to make frat boy mashups. You can't just call those first albums "poo poo" because you don't like them. They're like entirely different things, and you guys obviously don't like glitchy poo poo. No reason to discredit his hosed up poo poo for his jock jams blends. First half of the 2000s was a different time. Secret Diary isn't a great album, but not for the reasons you're saying.

I'm so cool I started hating Girl Talk when Unstoppable came out :cool: (i'm being sarcastic of course)

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 6, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tornhelm posted:

the only valid reason to say an album is poo poo is because you hate it. Anything else is just overly-prententious bullshit that you should be ashamed of.
That's silly. There must be hundreds of jazz albums you don't like or don't get or just aren't your thing, but that's doesn't make them poo poo. Its not overly-pretentious to say "not my thing".

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tornhelm posted:

For something to be poo poo, you must dislike it. The inverse is NOT true - just because you don't like something, it doesn't mean its poo poo. They're two completely different things - its why Secret Diary is poo poo, yet I only hate Wolfmother and Muse.

Edit: And for the other argument that'll come up - you can't think something is poo poo if you like it, because in liking it you recognise there is something worthwhile there even if it has a lot of other problems.
No what I meant was you can't call something poo poo that you don't really "get". You just dont' have an ear for noisy glitchy IDM stuff before. It just seems to me your hatred is misplaced.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

BrainDance posted:

No, I think the album is actually bad. You can't just dismiss someone's view of an album by saying "oh you just don't get *genre*" That's unbelievably pretentious, almost as bad as actually using the label IDM (no one self identifies as that, it's nearly the most hated label in electronic music.)
I'm a breakcore musician, I know quite well :)

quote:

You can like it but don't act like you have a superior ear and people who think it's terrible just don't "get it"
I don't like it at all. I'm just saying, let's say you heard some Coltrane for the first time and said "What is this guy doing!??! He keeps hitting sour notes!" That'd be pretty cleary not getting it, right? If you HATED, LOATHED Charlie Parker, thought his output was poo poo because it sounded crazy, wouldn't you call that hatred misplaced? That's all I'm saying. You can not enjoy it, that's all good. But to despise that Girl Talk album for being too random is like hating The Kinks for being too distorted, The Ramones for being to simplistic or the sun for shining.

e: I thought about this a lot last night, and I guess you're right. If you don't like something, that's about all that's needed to call it lovely. I think it's a silly way of looking at stuff, and that "you don't get it" is a real defense (even if its misused most of the time), but I respect your opinion.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

overtone posted:

Does anyone know who is behind Ludachrist, and why there hasn't been any new material?

Ludachrist was done by DNB legend + Evol Intent member Knick who went on to be Computer Club and lesser dnb bro Ewun aka Kill The Noise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2aGA2nfBs

Those dudes were HARD but all of um started making bloghouse and mashup stuff and I stopped following them after that.