Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

chrix posted:

I do this all the time. I think I actually heard Lil' Wayne's A Milli in a mashup before hearing the actual track.

e-603's new album is pretty cool, but it's got a LOT of repeats from other mashup mixes I've heard.

yeah, i always think about girl talk every time a similar sample comes up on e-603's new album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Reptar The King posted:

Girl Talk is coming to my school in September but I've heard he is very boring live. Anyone see him?

i'm listening to a bootleg of him playing at yale in the spring
http://www.freeculturemusic.com/

i've only listened to about half of it so far and some of it is brand new stuff and some of it is using some old samples with different beats. not really feeling it right now. the thing about Feed the Animals is that i was hooked the first time i heard it. Night Ripper had a similar impact, though not as great.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Lakitu7 posted:

I never thanked you for the mirror. I used it. Thanks.

When he's using samples I haven't heard before, this album is awesome, but whenever I get into it he throws in something I've heard in every single mashup album and I get a little disappointed. Still, it's great, and if I hadn't listened to so much in this genre already I'd be wowed all over again. It's kind of difficult to judge objectively as a result.

what's the sample in the background with the keyboard-like sound in 2:15 of "Do Your Thang"?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
some of the parts of "Circle of Fifths" feel trance/technoy like in "Hands Up" and "Lights Out" where it's the same beat over and over. i thought i was listening to a mash-up album?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

DrVenkman posted:

Really? Are we talking about the same E-603? He's good, there's no doubt about it, but he's still trying to do the 'girltalk' thing but can only do it half as well. I think it's telling that he delayed 'Torn up' after 'Feed the Animals' came out.

I think that 'Something for Everyone' is a stronger album than 'Torn up', despite the lower production values. 'Torn Up' has an amazing opening track, and I think the album as a whole reaches moments of excellence. But the difference with Girltalk is that GT's mash-ups feel somewhat organic. Tracks just seem to 'go' together. For me he gets a lot that feels 'right', though I will admit there's a few mis-steps on 'Feed the Animals' but they're few and far between.

definitely feel the same way. i thought 'Torn Up' was great the first couple listens but now i'm already sick of it. the opening track is great but the rest just seems meh.

milkman's new album is good, up there with girltalk quality.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

lewi posted:

Just in case anyone was looking for a sample list from E-603, it's up on his website here:
http://www.e-603.com/E-603/List.html

milkman needs to release one, argh~

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Aerobic Robot posted:

listen to super mash bros, silly bitches B^J

what the hell does B^J mean?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
what's the sample in Milkman's Circle Fifths, "Lovehate", around 3:04-3:16. it's also in Super Mash Bros's All About the Scrillions, "From Honor ROll to Out of Control", 1:20 to the end.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Lakitu7 posted:

I don't have Circle of Fifths, but I'm pretty sure the sample that comes in at 1:20 in the latter song is Ratatat. Specifically I think it's this one, maybe sped up a little:
Ratatat - 2006 - Classics - 02 - Lex

If not, then it's probably another song of theirs. Ratatat are great but it's hard to remember specific songs.. it's more like one contiguous trip where multiple songs on an album will build on a running "theme" melody.

i can kinda see the resemblance but kinda weird if the sample from Milkman and Super Mash bros were both sped up as they are both really similar. it's probably a Ratatat song though. i bet baberaham lincoln knows, he seems to know his mashups really well.

e: okay, it's ratatat's Seventeen Years. sweet, that's sample's been bugging me for awhile. thanks, Lakitu7.

Geno fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 20, 2009

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Mr Gentleman posted:

okay so I'm a super mash bros fan (disagree with above drat it) and I went to their concert recently and love them more for it. I just got introduced to the white panda. who else would I like? I enjoy girl talk already

edit: I guess I should say on the grand thing of things SMB is wayyy greater than GT for me

i'm curious, what did you listen to first? GT is pretty much the reason i got into mashups; i instantly fell in love with FTA the first time i heard it.

i think girl talk is waaay much better than SMB. in terms of my favorite mashup artists, it goes GT, Milkman, E-603, and SMB.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

icicle bob posted:

I can't get into E-603 I don't know why. I definately think Girl Talk is better than Super Mash Bros, though. There are always samples used by SMB which I hear and just think "why?"" The point of this genree is that you take the best things and put them together, but they just use crappy modern rock radio poo poo a lot of the time.

Ludachrist is probably my favourite, I just wish they'd release stuff more often.

i always thought E-603's first CD was miles ahead of his first but neither were as good as GT or Milkman.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
that was pretty sick, any idea when the cd is going to be released?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

icicle bob posted:

Just found Feed The Animals at a store and picked it up for the retarded price of AU$32. However, the black disc it has is loving cool.

isn't everything in AUS expensive?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
after listening to it once, i'll say it's better than NR but not as good as FTA (let's just forget about his first two)

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

baberaham lincoln posted:

:words:

i'll admit, i'm impressed with your review. how do you know so much about music/mashups?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

baberaham lincoln posted:

I can't determine how sincere / sarcastic you're being. I've written a couple of papers on remix / mash-up culture (Larry Lessig, Henry 'JenkDawg' Jenkins, Rebecca Tushnet, etc), but mostly I just read Wikipedia a lot and don't kiss girls. My senior thesis is part legal theory and part lit crit as applied to mash-ups.

i wasn't sarcastic. anyone who can write 2 detailed paragraphs about GT/mashups can get 2 cents in my book

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Harminoff posted:

Welp. Here is some awesome/horrible news from Milkman.

Can't wait for the new album, but I'm sad he isn't looking to continue. Though I guess that you can only do so much with mashups, and that showed with the latest girl talk.

drat, that sucks. is he actually going to keep making that dance music he released a couple weeks ago? i remember a lot of the feedback was "stick to mashups lol"

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i've listened to All Day 4-5 times and it's grown on me. in the end, i don't think it will be better than NR or FTA.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Not "all". Definitely not "all".

yeah, i think SMB is below GT, Milkman or e-603. his cds just don't really have any flow to them

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

weekly font posted:

I half wonder if any future mashup artists can be successful or if they'll just be dismissed as "that guy who wishes he was Girl Talk." I guess that's not a bad thing though, right? Don't most youngsters pick up an instrument because they have dreams of being [insert person here]?

it just sucks there such a limited number of samples out there to choose from. of course, you can always mash up stuff like video games and rap but they will never be as successful as GT.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

lloyol posted:

I'm hoping it's better than the thing I posted. I don't think he was ever mentioned in this thread. He also does awesome video editing for his mash-ups.

Fun fact: Last year, a local DJ claimed Earworm's best of 2009 mash-up as his own work and started playing it regularly on air. I laughed.

definitely excited for Earworm's 2010 mix. i thought his mashups got better with each year.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

flatluigi posted:

It's here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLA7JMPE_xU

Still giving it a couple listens to see if it grows on me, but I don't like it as much as 2009's.

yeah, pretty disappointed. just seems so jumbled, the beat is too loud compared to the voices.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
definitely pumped for it. i think MM is better than e603, SMB, and luda but not as good as GT.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
fyi, Milkman's cd new will be out tomorrow 9am PST

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
restart back to an hour after it went to 00:00:00 :/

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
just listened through it once.

i like it so far. noticed lots of samples that were used in GT's All Day but i'm not too surprised with samples being used over and over. it's a lot more upbeat especially compared to All Day.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
In the 6h track, Another One, around 2:16, what's the sample that BoB sings over?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
anybody here heard of "Mashup-Germany" ? just heard of him through a comment on Reddit and he seems to release singles kinda like DJ Earworm.

http://www.mashup-germany.com/

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

The Berzerker posted:

Wow, Milkman rules. I just removed the last two tracks and will never think about them again.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who did this.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I give my vote to Milkman's Algorithms. I've listened to it the most of all the recent releases but maybe this will change when E-603's album is released :3:

Ditto. i still listen to GT's All Day but i think it's not close to FTA or NR. i think Ludachrist's album is OK; it uses some good samples but i can never get used to the glitchiness/ADD parts of it.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
hopping on the DJ Whoquestion bandwagon. haven't really checked out "Big Big Trouble" but i'm liking "Loaded" a lot. he needs to release a full album stat

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

I actually had planned on asking this question, was just trying to figure out how I was going to word it. I think this works pretty well for the wording.

you should somehow relate this to why all mashup artists seem to use similar samples. most of us know the answer but i'm curious to see what he would say.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Equilibrium posted:

I listened to Girl Talk years ago and liked it well enough, but didn't find it held up to repeat listens. Is there anybody specializing in less schizophrenic, more meditative mixes, that don't abandon a catchy hook every thirty seconds? Albums would be great.

how long is years ago? do you remember which CD? his first 2 mixes were more ADD. Nightripper is a little better but not as good as FTA.

check out Milkman. someone noted earlier how his songs usually follow the same beat, if that makes sense.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
drat, e-603 never released his album last month :goonboot:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
very nice, i like it. i love the use of the "black and yellow" sample.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
e603 released a teaser for his album coming out next month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynmt1xxvXqU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Oggumogoggum posted:

Those lyrics sound familiar; I think that sample is also used in the Hood Internet's "Shut Up, American Boy". Hope that helps. Looks like the Estelle song features Mr. West.

the part right before :52 is from American Boy and then it switches to the Workout song, not sure in between those which is what he is looking for.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

'The New Workout' does not contain the line "No interview with the NME cause I'll only make enemy, no Q&A with the Q today 'cause I really don't have good to say" which is what he is interested in.

yeah, that's what i meant to say, guess i phrased it badly :awesomelon:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
hmm, i'm not totally blown away by it. i've always thought milkman/GT were better than e603 and this cd only reinforces that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

ts12 posted:

I asked this in the recommendation thread but I figure I'll get a better response here. Where can I find songs like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTx3G6h2xyA because holy poo poo that song owns. I have a good amount of mash up poo poo but this is different in some way idk I just know I need like 2 hours of this

no idea what to say. i'm assuming you've listened to girl talk and milkman? dj earworm is another popular artist who has songs that are similar to that song. you can try the goon-made song The Wayne Manifesto by Icicle Bob!