Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tokit posted:

This guy is awesome, I'm finding a new mash up artist almost every 2 weeks from this thread.

I'm working on a mash up album with a similar style, it's only half done (25 minutes out of the 45 minutes I want to shoot for) but should I put it up in this thread here before I even consider posting it in GBS when it's done?

gently caress yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cizzo posted:

This is the first I've ever heard of Milkman. I will be very upset if all of his stuff is not up to par to this recent single. It's insanely good.

Absolutely. Hopefully this is a 45 minute megamix like the Girl Talk albums because I can't get into single track mashups. I'm not into GT as the epitome of DJing or anything but he can turn a long drive into something more enjoyable.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Got tickets to the Wellmont NJ show after my girlfriend and I have tried for 3 years to see him and always got met with sold out shows.

We also met at a party where someone was playing Girl Talk and started talking because we both knew it. I figure it'll be a good XMas present. :shobon:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If there's one thing that Gillis knocks out of the park every time it's the end of his albums. I know it's an overused, cliched word now, but they truly are epic in the context of mashups.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I noticed what had to be a very last minute addition last time I listened where in between transitions there's the unavoidable, singular, sub-second burst: I WHIP MY HAIR

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Law and Order section of Talk is Cheap is killer.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Are Ludachrist's other albums non-stop or are they track-by-track mashups?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Just so you know, some retarded aspie wikipdian [see also: human being] decided it'd be a great idea to take down just about all the tracklists on wikipedia for all of Girl Talks albums because they're not actual research but others speculation. Way to go, wikipedia!

Was just looking for this today because I want to sample Face Down rear end Up in a mashup but wanted see if he did it first to avoid it sounding similar.

I kinda think he used it in Night Ripper but I don't remember and I'm stuck where I don't have access to it right now.

ps homies: https://www.mashupbreakdown.com

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 9, 2010

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I half wonder if any future mashup artists can be successful or if they'll just be dismissed as "that guy who wishes he was Girl Talk." I guess that's not a bad thing though, right? Don't most youngsters pick up an instrument because they have dreams of being [insert person here]?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

"Don't sound like Girl Talk," is fine advice for the aspiring mashup auteur, and I agree there are a million samples to use. The rise and popularity of Girl Talk just brings up so many questions for me who has been following music for years, and as someone who went to college to write about music. Is there a market for the genre of "mashup artist" in the [relative] mainstream or is there really only room for Girl Talk? Where does the aspiring mashup artist even go to get their music out? A "standard" DJ can get nights at bars and clubs, and a band can do showcases at any local venue, but where, besides college house parties did someone like Gillis get his live word of mouth going outside the internet?

I'm not necessarily looking for answers to these, but they're just questions that interest me. I guess the impact of the internet and technology as a whole on music moving further into the 2000s is interesting to a nerd like me.

Anywho, sorry for the rant. Legit question: do guys like Super Mash or Ludachrist do live shows?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

kingcobweb posted:

What I'm saying is that people can do sample-based music that isn't "mashup" because mashups are pretty tired at this point, there isn't much space left to explore.

I got what you were saying, and I hope there are musicians that do explore this. :) DJ Shadow is cool and all but I don't think he's someone I could listen to regularly. It's a shame that the mashups genre has been watered down by any rear end in a top hat on youtube slapping up an off-key, off-beat "remix" of whatever single is huge.

I'd love more quality ADD-party-mashup types like Girl Talk or Ludachrist to pop up because it would be intersesting to see what kinds of samples they pull and how they'd use those pop samples that scream "use me!" from the moment the song hits.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rap vocals work the best because you have very little worry in regards to key matching.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Got the girlfriend tickets to see Girl Talk on Feb 8th for Christmas. We broke up last weekend. I think she got the tickets in the divorce. :smith:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Miley High is pretty drat good. There's a couple of parts that probably shouldn't have happened though. Like no one needs to hear another mash of Whisper Song especially after GT used it really well. Six years ago.

Beyond that there are some completely awesome sections like Rugrats and BOB/BSB

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don't even know what Girl Talk would do today. It feels like so much of his run relied on bling era beats and Ludacris/Outcast bars that are miles removed dynamically from anything being released now. But that just makes me want him to come back more and work his wizardry.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This is art

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is that an Ewok in his glasses reflection this time? Is Yub Yub going to be mashed with something? The absolute mad lad.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Here’s the full deal: https://www.rock-wars.de/?fbclid=IwAR0DKnC1FQ86BWtXFcBbUOG3d2zXgem18bb7colivcgN3Dwu0FGw7COzQMk

And BB19 was released a day or two ago as well. First 9 minutes or so and I’m not grooving with it (yet).

Do these guys usually just not transition between segments at all? Its really jarring and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

BlueBayou posted:

God I miss Girl Talk so mucch