Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
Girl Talk came to my college earlier this year. It was insane. Get drunk, dress crazy, then get crazy. I can't wait til I get the chance to see him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
I'm not entirely sure where I found this - I downloaded it at some point in the past week and can't figure out where it came from. I've just given it a listen, and whilst it isn't Girl Talk/E-603/Super Mash Bros standard, its got some good mixes in it and is definitely worth a listen if you're into frentic mashups.

Weapons of Mash Destruction - D.a.N.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0gz5mxuyyyg

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but if you're a Girl Talk fan then its worth grabbing some of these bootlegs

http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/2009/10/19/the-girl-talk-bootleg-archive-10-bootlegs-and-counting/

The most recent (Girl Talk – Live at Binghamton 5.1.10) is pretty incredible - sounds like it was recorded from the soundboard so its great quality, and has loads of new mixes in it. Tiding me over til a new album.

Oh and I gotta add that it really sucks being into this type of schizophrenic mashup and living over in England - Girl Talk has only played one show here in recent memory and the odds of Super Mash Bros/E-603/Milkman coming over are slim to say the least. Sad times.

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005

sonicice posted:

Thanks for this. Wish that 5.1.10 had a download link instead of just the flash player :(

You don't have to use the flash player - you can right click/save link as. I've been playing it in my car, and I'm now far too excited about whats in store on the next album.

Oh also if anyone is near Tucson AZ, Girl Talk is headlining the N9NE festival at the beginning of September.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-40227-Phoenix-Indie-Music-Examiner~y2010m7d16-Just-announced-Girl-Talk-headlining-N9NE-fest-in-Tucson

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
A pretty awesome little docu about Girl Talks Chicago NYE show at the end of last year was released this weekend...

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/episode/2527-girl-talk-nye-chicago/

I had no idea that they put in so much effort for the show. I mean the house they built is awesome! I'm in the UK but if he announces another Chicago NYE show I'll be hugely tempted to get tickets and fly over for a few nights.

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
Someone recently asked Girl Talk about his next album via twitter and apparently its almost done and will be out by the end of the year.

Can't. Wait.

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
This music video that the Yacht Club DJs have on youtube makes me kinda desperate to see them live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hey79xRNI_I

I really want to hear more of them but apart from that 25 min radio set posted earlier in the thread I'm struggling to find anything. I have a friend in Australia who reckons he may be able to get their most recent album off a friend but there just doesn't seem to be much online!

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

They only hand out their stuff at gigs. That's where I got their latest album, Demons of Gymnastics. They had their original, Kleptomania uploaded for 300 downloads before taking it down, so if you look really hard you may be able to find that around.

Yeah I actually got in touch with them recently and they offered to send me Demons of Gymnastics but as I'm in the UK and the postage wouldn't be cheap I'm not holding my breath... We'll see I guess. They also said they were hoping to get over here to play some shows in the next few months which would be awesome.

Theres no chance of you ripping and uploading Demons of Gymnastics is there? I'm pretty sure this doesn't count as :filez: due to the nature of the material and the lack of copyright implied but if it does then I'm sorry and feel free to ignore me!

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005

endlosnull posted:

It's definitely not as good as 2009's but overall it's not a bad song and it's growing on me. The vocals may seem to be spliced up too much but I don't mind that it makes no sense. I might like his summer mashup that has some similar songs Like, OMG Baby more, though.

I agree - its definitely not as good as last years, but I guess he is extremely limited by what tracks reach the Billboard Top 25. It is growing on me after a few listens and I did catch myself humming it earlier. I haven't heard this summer mashup though, do you have a link?

Edit: Found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYQJ_SIVUVE

Nam Taf posted:

My understanding is that they only give out their music at gigs/briefly put it up for download, so as to avoid the potentially questionable legal issues related to Australia's lacking/non-existant fair use laws. Some (but not all) of their songs are on their Facebook page.

I do not know of anywhere where their stuff is for purchase nor do I anticipate them to put it up in the future, but I am trying to find an article/interview/anything that suggests they don't sell their stuff. I'm sure I've read something before along those lines but I'd like to be able to show that first to get an OK.

edit: Bingo!

Its for these reasons I'd think that ripping and uploading the albums would be akin to hosting a mirror of a Girl Talk/Super Mash Bros/E-603 album, which has happened a few times already in this thread. They even do say they rely on viral distribution, but that addresses their own view more than the legal issue I guess. I'm really hoping you get the go-ahead here, in case you can't tell!

JustLikeMe fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 29, 2010

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005

het posted:

Eh if they don't distribute it themselves specifically because it's illegal it seems ill-advised for SA to enable that.

This is only because Australia doesn't have fair usage laws like the US and many other countries do - in fact, in Australia you need a license to transfer a recording you yourself made to another medium or you risk a fine! The album being uploaded to a file hosting site and the link shared here would be no more illegal than any of the other mashup albums/tracks linked to in this thread - the same laws that apply to and protect artists such as Girl Talk apply.

As far as I'm aware, the only exception to this rule would be As Heard on Radio Soulwax Part 2 by 2 Many DJs, for which they received permission by every artist sampled to use their material and was released properly - and hence is copywrited to 2 Many DJs.

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
I know this hasn't been discussed for many pages now, but I've been listening to Milkman's Algorithms quite a bit recently and its grown on me so, so much. When it was released I was pretty underwhelmed and in retrospect I have no idea why. Phenomenal album.

JustLikeMe fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 14, 2011

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
So according to their facebook page, it looks like we can expect the new Super Mash Bros album to drop sometime this month..

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005
So the new Super Mash Bros album is set to drop at 5pm PST! Really like both of the tracks that they've released so far, especially '“Yo dawg, I heard you like music so I put songs in this song so you can listen to music while you listen to music.” -Xzibit'. Hope the rest of the album lives up to these tracks, as I thought the last mashup album I was looking forward to (Smokeshow) kinda sucked. As a side note, the name 'Miley High Club' entertains me far more than it should.

Also, I wish Milkman would give up on the original material and start working on another mashup album - Algorithms is one of the best put together and coherent mashup albums I've heard and I really want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005

'This video has been removed by the user'

poo poo! Did anyone manage to grab it before it went down?

Edit: Nevermind - found it on Reddit. Not sure if it's ok to post a link but I'm sure you can find it if you search...

JustLikeMe fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 14, 2014