Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

You do have Feed the Animals, right? Is that the one you meant by '2nd album'? If not, it's here and you can enter $0 and download it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

HyperGlitter posted:

Thirding E-603, I like his stuff better than Girl Talk at times (but I am an indie human being take with grain of salt)
I'm diggin' this poo poo a lot. My only complaint is that it seems the audio quality of the download off his site is a bit low for the audiophile in me, and that some tracks don't perfectly sync up - most do, but some glitch or have a slight break in them, and it disrupts the flow :(

But other than that, it's really goddamn good. I'm loving it. It gives me a third album to thrash in the car alongside Feed the Animals and Night Ripper.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Bathroompants posted:

I figured that was the case, but I can never find any when I look for them online. I just sort of had a feeling that there was this underground group I didn't know about that had acapella tracks that I wasn't cool enough to be a part of.

You'd be surprised how close you can get by carefully chopping out segments of a song. You just got to pick and choose parts carefully, and through looping them you can effectively build up a non-vocal version of a part of the song.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

Still, I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to make an album in this style without sampling My Neck My Back, Work It, or Soulja Boy somewhere in it.

I want to know if it's possible to make a track that is interesting that samples only those songs.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

JaWs posted:

Listening to E-603 right now. The first few songs weren't all that great, but the middle to the end of the album is fantastic.

This is how I felt. From about Trash the Club onwards, the album just blew into high heaven. The last two tracks are so good. I love them.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

FatalT posted:

I even prefer listening to this over Girl Talk, which I had been listening to in my car for the past 2 weeks.

The last 3 Super Mash Bros. tracks are, in my mind, equal to the best of what Girl Talk or E-603 produces, but for their entirety. Those last 3 tracks are truly just freaking amazing. I was originally going to say the last 2 tracks, but the 3rd last one really helps to build up to the last two, and I love the start of it too.

I listen to those 3 on repeat for over an hour at work almost daily. God I love them. The whole 'using Sandstorm for backing' thing works so well.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

You may as well throw in E-603, as mentioned earlier in this thread. They're pretty much the trifecta of awesome with GT and SMB.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

He was mentioned here earlier at some point, but I agree with you in really liking that album. I've listened to quite a bit of work discussed in this thread and his has grown to be among my favorites. It has a bit more of a techno feel to it than Girl Talk, and I enjoy how the samples in each song have a bit of a running "theme" given in the lyrics and described in the song titles.

In the last couple of weeks, he posted a complete sample list for Jackin' for Beats that I hadn't noticed until now, so if you are after knowing what samples he used in that, they're there!

edit: Hey felipebacon, I've been listening to your stuff recently (it's great, thanks for making it!) and I have a few queries:

A) Is the song list named after a random conversation? It reads line one and I can only assume Yatexas is the name of someone you were talking to. It's a pretty good :iceburn:

B) Track 4, "Plus he makes residuals...", is probably the highlight of the album for me where you mash Linkin Park, Bon Jovi and Rick Astley, as it just works so well. Having said that, why did you choose to cut it off at the end like you did? It's one of the worst blueballs ever :( I'm rocking out and suddenly it just cuts off. I personally feel it would've been a more rounded track if it had managed to close off in some way, and possibly also let that last part go for another 8 bars or something to finish off the chorus of It's My Life. Just some hopefully constructive criticism as well as a peek into your thoughts behind your work with any luck!

C) What the gently caress is up with the "On a Bad Year" track? I laughed when I heard it and I just don't know what the gently caress :D

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 28, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

felipebacon posted:

Yea it's just a random conversation. I did cut it off on purpose, and maybe it would have been better if I made it go a little longer, but there's no way to change that now :p

On a bad year is just a random clip from when me and a friend were messing around with a new vsti and a microphone was recording too. I just threw it in there for the hell of it. I'm glad you liked the album. I'm kind of working on something similar, but mostly only have time for original songs right now.

Cheers for answering the questions! Also, I'm beginning to fall in love with track 3. I'm liking the gritty style of the bass line. This really has some nice moments in it and I only just noticed on the train this morning that you'd included Ringfinger in the latter half of the album. Nice work :)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Harry Hood posted:

way too much souljah boy

No such thing :colbert:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

loving awesome :D I have been doing the back-catalogue of EASTER EGG's stuff, ie: Lemonade '07, Dr. Tron and DJ Hit n Runn stuff.

edit: These samples are loving solid. I cannot wait!

edit 2: Jesus christ, 2:20 onwards in the 2nd sample, If You Wanna, is without a doubt some of the most fluid mixing I've heard. That is amazingly well done. This album cannot fail to rock so hard.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 19, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

It's up. Holy poo poo. I don't know what I want to do. Those pricing options rock. I'm going to have to think about which I want to do.

Anyhow, because his site will inevitably get raped, :siren: here is a mirror of E-603 - Torn Up :siren:

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 19, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Rummanging posted:

And i'm really liking this Super Mash Bro.s stuff, but I wish they'd use more unique samples, because I'm recognising a lot of these from Girl Talk.

They're all really very similar as far as samples used. E-603, Mash Bros, EASTER EGG and GT all seem to use the same, really - their difference is how they deliver. GT is very much a 'central' kind of balance, E-603 is slower and smoother, and Mash Bros tend to do a kinda 'sillier' approach (though nothing nearly like someone like Ludachrist).

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

The transition from 1st to 2nd track has an extra beat at the start of the 2nd track which throws poo poo off, but apart from that, it's solid. Love it :)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I just can't get into Team Teamwork. I guess not having the rapidfire mashup changes doesn't really do it for me. I don't listen to any of this sort of music normally (that is, pop/r&b/etc.) so I guess that may be it, since TT borrows a bit too much for my liking from the same songs, being generally 1 song over top of one of the Zelda tunes.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

JaWs posted:

City High's What Would You Do? with Supersonic's Closing Time? Yes, please.

Agreed, that's one of the high points for me, too.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Kerk posted:

Super Mash Bros new album All About the Scrillions out now!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mwxzbjv2imj

Likin' dis.

edit: :siren: Mirror! :siren:

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 25, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Dain22 posted:

Strongly seconding this. I think "Circle of fifths" is my new favourite album of this kind of mash-up.

Checking out his first album, Lactose and THC. It's not yet grabbed me in any mindblowing awesome sections (there was one in the sample song of CoF) but I'm not far into it yet. That doesn't mean it's bad, but I figure if a mashup can grab me, make a big poo poo-eating grin form on my face and make me say 'woah!' then it's good mashup.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

FatalT posted:

Good call on Milkman guys, I had never heard of him until this thread. I went ahead and bought Circle of Fifths using Paypal and it didn't take long at all to go through. Awesome!

Make sure you have Lactose & THC, his first album, too. It's phenominal quality.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Amante posted:

tanner4105. Fellow goon and very good. If you like Ludachrist, you should like tanner's stuff. I'd recommend both the Bad Apollo and Tanmania albums.

Can you link the Tanmania one? I don't have it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Double post, I know, but you guys should check out this in GBS if you haven't. It's pretty good :)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Thanks! Mirror here. :)

edit: Holy gently caress, I didn't expect to hear In Flames in this mix, and I'm starting to become jaded with the breadth of what mashup music can draw from. Congrats, tanner, you blew me away again!

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 17, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Obama Yo Mama posted:

This is amazing, I want more.

Did you click the link at the bottom to the sequel?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Moe_Rahn posted:

come on eileen is one of those songs that has been ruined for me in mashups because any use of it in a mashup will get compared to the one that is apparently permanently stuck in my head now (come on eileen + tell me when to go, from the first super mash bros album)

What song and what point is that at?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Most of it's for free on his last.fm page here but one track does not seem to be. I can happily host an existing uploaded version, but I can't upload my copy of the songs becuase I'm on, no poo poo, a 16KB/sec upload speed that counts towards a 12GB/month quota, so it'd take me ages and cost me a chunk of a day's internet usage.

If you find a zip file of it though I'm happy to rehost it.

edit: If you get all but track #2 I can host that I guess.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I'll put up the missing song from the last.fm link. So, get all of these and then click this link when I finally uplaod it (give me 10 mins).

edit: Done upload, go go go!

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 22, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I love you all so here is a full .zip file of the entire Bad Apollo album, on a mirror that should stay up for the currently-indefinite future.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I didn't realise the downloaded one off last.fm was lower quality? That's a bit odd. Either way, no problem!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Carnival Rider posted:

I know this is from a while ago but thank you so much, I've been looking for bad apollo for the last year and wasn't having any luck. I couldn't remember who made it or what it was called after I deleted it accidently. I loved this when it first came out.

Somewhere in this thread I linked the album in better quality. Here is the URL again.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I just saw Girl Talk live at the Gold Coast Big Day Out. Holy loving poo poo, it was amazing. He's also got really drat mainstream as a result of one of the youth radio stations here playing his stuff; there was several thousand in the crowd for an hour set.

He played some new samples not used off his albums, too. Not even just remixes of his samples, completely new ones. I hope this is the start of a new album :D

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

icicle bob posted:

Can't wait to see Girl Talk at Melbourne BDO on Tuesday. He's the only artist that I have to see.

Do it, seriously. The fact that he's popular enough to pull a large crowd means that it was a fantastic atmosphere, with people singing along to the really recognisabe samples.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

icicle bob posted:

Did they have any girl talk merch? I'd sort of like to pick up the "I am not a DJ" shirt.

They had the shirt of his face, and another one, but not an "I am not a DJ" shirt I don't think.

They were also $45 or something ridiculous.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

lowphat_strawberry posted:

For anyone that cares, I just released my first EP, and I'd really love some criticism. I know that it pales in comparison to the likes of Girl Talk, Mash Bros, or E-603, but hopefully you'll still be able to enjoy it. If not, then I know exactly what I'm going to have to work on for my next album.

http://dankasaurusrex.bandcamp.com/

TipsyGame owns, seriously. I love that bass line. That said, your song transitions (especially coming into that track) are a bit weak and need some smoother method of transition.

I admire what you tried to do there but it seems very forced - it probably doesn't help that it's midway through a set of 4 bars. Indeed, it seems like there's 1 bar more than their should be to me.

My opinion on them all:
The first transition is great (intro to track 2). Track 2 to 3 seems a bit forced but not too bad. 3-4, as above, is quite forced. 4-5 is odd - it seems to fade out then come back and seems like it doesn't know what it wants to do. I'm not sure what's going on there.

5-6 is middle-ground - noticable but not jarringly so. 6-7 is good, but I think You Belong With Me suits a fade-out and restart like that.

The music itself is fantastic - I enjoy it and find it fun - but I seem to be a bit of a jerk for good transitions so there's my critique for what it's worth.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Anyone in Boston should go to night one of this. Milkman AND E-603 at the same gig is awesome. $20 too, so pocket change.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Most Mashup is free. Milkman has one free album, and one for $10. It's rare that you'll find a mashup mix that isn't free.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Tornhelm posted:

Having loved Super Mash Bros, I decided to give Girl Talk a try. Holy poo poo Girl Talk is crap. Apart from them both doing mash ups, I honestly can't see how people can compare them at all. That being said, Girl Talk does have one useful purpose - it kept me awake and annoyed on my last leg of a trip back home when I was feeling tired.

I think you're going to be in the minority with that large a difference. People will have their preferences to which is better, but to love one and despise the other is not exactly common.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Fuklaw posted:

The single most popular song in the world's biggest annual music poll had a really clear "gently caress" in the chorus last year. Triple J's good like that.

In the Hottest 100 of all time, didn't they play the uncensored version of Killing in the Name? Triple J's pretty awesome like that, especially when you realise it's government run too.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

Whoa Mash Bros, E603, and Milkman all together in one show. That's nuts. I can't even imagine how tired everyone will be by the end of all of those.
I saw Milkman mention it on facebook and I think I slipped into a lucid religious experience for a couple of minutes just thinking about it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

So, uh, Milkman has just dropped his first single from his upcoming album. If this is representative of the entire album, I am going to be so insanely in love with it words cannot describe it. I had a huge, poo poo-eating grin on my face for the entire track.

He is so goddamn smooth and seamless with his transitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Thats pretty poo poo for Ludachrist and I hope they get at least some money/recognition out of it, but news of the Second Coming next month is fantastic. It has been too long and I can't wait.