Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

icicle bob posted:

I bought Night Ripper at the JB Hifi near my house just the other week. They had one copy of it, one copy of Unstoppable and one of Secret Diary. I keep going back to see if a copy of Feed the Animals has come in, but I'm not confident it will.

I had no idea it was available in JB!! I'm going to have to go find out. I got FtA via the internet purchase which rocked.

Geno posted:

isn't everything in AUS expensive?

Kinda not really. Some stuff is, other stuff is not. Music, however, is INSANELY stupid and in fact Trent Reznor cracked the shits and told an entire Sydney audience to steal his albums because after seeing his album prices (35$ vs $18 for a pop album), freaking out and asking his distributor what the gently caress was going on, they basically said 'they will pay that much because you've got dedicated fans, pop fans are fickle and won't though'.

So yes, music is incredibly expensive here.

Cizzo posted:

This is the first I've ever heard of Milkman. I will be very upset if all of his stuff is not up to par to this recent single. It's insanely good.

Buy Circle of Fifths. It's pretty much just as polished, IMO. Lactose & THC is not quite as polished but it's still bloody good and free so you may as well.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

edit: double post stupid me

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Ludachrist posted:

TALK IS CHEAP :: 10-31-10
ÜberTwitter • 7/10/10 10:16 AM

gently caress yesssssssss. This is gonna own so hard.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

My brother and I were gonna go see Super Mash Bros in Blacksburg last month, but we ended up not going. Milkman's gonna be in Richmond next month, and I may have to go.

Do this and make up for your grave mistake of not seeing SMB next chance you get. Welcome to the crack cocaine of music!

edit:

SassyCommander posted:

So the Yacht Club DJs have been causing a bit of hype around my area of Australia (Melbourne). Well worth a look see, funky as poo poo.
Enjoying this and proud that this country finally sees some talent emerge!

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 12, 2010

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Oh snap, church of Ludachrist show time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73J9CKK7lFI&feature=player_embedded!

Can't wait for the new album at the end of the month.

Holy poo poo. Holy loving poo poo.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

Is there stuff available anywhere for purchase or free legally? Last.fm lists way more than the 4 tracks on their myspace but I'm not finding any reference to an album or anything. Where are they coming from? I like how a lot of these samples are unconventional as hell. Who samples the theme from Roger freakin Ramjet?

Here is a set they did for Triple J a week or so ago. Unfortunately it has some retarded 100 download limit to it but I'm sure it'll be elsewhere around.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Make sure to let us know what you think of them!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

It's here!!!!
Ludachrist - Talk is Cheap. I'll mirror in a moment I can't mirror yet because my PC is dead and I don't know my webspace account login without checking on that PC.

\/\/\/ I'm using my yet-to-be-set-up ubuntu media centre PC as my main PC right now until I fix this and I forgot mp3 wasn't playable without the restricted extras :( I DON'T NEED THESE DELAYS.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 31, 2010

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

You're a braver man than I. Crunkifornia isn't new but the rest looks it. I'm starting it now.

edit: This is less glitchy than bangfest so far, more in the style of SMB/GT/etc., but it's smooth as hell so far.

edit: HOLY gently caress I TAKE BACK ALL I SAID ABOUT NO GLITCHINESS. Come about 8 minutes, this poo poo kicks into high gear holy crap.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 31, 2010

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

gnarstache posted:

edit: ENTER SANDSTORM HOLY gently caress HAHAHA
loving THIS. I just got to this. Holy poo poo.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Ludachrist's link is still there on his page?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Thanks for that, I was entirely too lazy to hunt for a link.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

At the Zoo about to see yacht club DJs. Venue is starting to get a dew hundred here. Not bad for a band with something like 8000 fans on Facebook, playing the weekend before Uni exams.

Support acts were poo poo. Will provide trip report soon. Hoping to get one of their free promo CDs.

Edit: there's a guy wearing a cape here and I smell weed.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 5, 2010

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Trip report: HOLY gently caress.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

if you're in some sort of warehouse/basement/not-so-legit venue, i am envious. either way sounds like it was a good night.

Nah it's just a small music venue here. They were bloody amazing though. Even though there were only several hundred people there it was still chaotic and fantastic fun. They really did put on a world-class show and I'd love them to release some actual music.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

icicle bob posted:

I think the old "rum is fighting fuel" is a bit of a myth. I think the problem is that rum is a dickhead drink, so dickheads drink rum then proceed to be dickheads.

I think it's a lot of this and a little of the fact that bundy is cane-sugar rum and thus absolutely loving loaded to the hilt with sugar. I'm not surprised that it makes retards act retarded when it is in effect giving them a sugar high. Then again I'd expect them to act just big a dickhead on energy drinks.

It's not rum's fault, but I can see the logic in bundy rum being fuel for fuckwits to act fuckwitted.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I need my mashup to be absolutely mindshredding, I guess.

Super Mash Bros.

Also, Girl Talk should tour Australia again. :(

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Girl Talk posted:

My new album is called All Day. I've been working on it for more than 2.5 years. I'm releasing it within the hour for free
5 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Holy gently caress!

edit: IT'S HERE!!!

edit: Mirror on my hosting.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 15, 2010

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

poo poo's good, man. So glad he used that ending - I heard it during his life stuff and it works so well :)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Does anyone know what the backing track is at 2:20 in That's Right? I know it from some 90s song I think.

Incomplete list here. Also fan-generated.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Geno posted:

drat, that sucks. is he actually going to keep making that dance music he released a couple weeks ago? i remember a lot of the feedback was "stick to mashups lol"

I won't care for any of it if he does. It was terribly generic. His mashup is among some of the best out there, on the other hand. It'd be a huge loss if he went that way.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

This just showed up on E-603's FB account. I like it, and hope he releases another album soon of this calibre.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Can someone who's downloaded it mirror it? My download is taking a super long time.

Probably a bit late now but whatever.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Between this and the strides made since (yes this in some small way includes Night Ripper), anyone who legitimately thinks anything Greg Gillis does anymore is "transformative" needs to jam this through their earhole and then either wise up or maybe die or something else unpleasant.

I just enjoy All Day as a fun album and not as anything that pushes the envelope where do I fit in to this worldview?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

17 pages is hardly long but yes we're all fans of Super Mash Bros and both of their albums kick arse.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

JustLikeMe posted:

This music video that the Yacht Club DJs have on youtube makes me kinda desperate to see them live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hey79xRNI_I

I really want to hear more of them but apart from that 25 min radio set posted earlier in the thread I'm struggling to find anything. I have a friend in Australia who reckons he may be able to get their most recent album off a friend but there just doesn't seem to be much online!

They only hand out their stuff at gigs. That's where I got their latest album, Demons of Gymnastics. They had their original, Kleptomania uploaded for 300 downloads before taking it down, so if you look really hard you may be able to find that around.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

JustLikeMe posted:

Theres no chance of you ripping and uploading Demons of Gymnastics is there? I'm pretty sure this doesn't count as :filez: due to the nature of the material and the lack of copyright implied but if it does then I'm sorry and feel free to ignore me!

I'd like to know a mod ruling on if uploading an album that was availalbe for temporary download at one point counts as :filez: or not, and if a freely handed out CD counts too. It really comes down to what the mods say. I'm not going to risk it myself.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

het posted:

Is it currently available for purchase/is it likely to be in the future?

My understanding is that they only give out their music at gigs/briefly put it up for download, so as to avoid the potentially questionable legal issues related to Australia's lacking/non-existant fair use laws. Some (but not all) of their songs are on their Facebook page.

I do not know of anywhere where their stuff is for purchase nor do I anticipate them to put it up in the future, but I am trying to find an article/interview/anything that suggests they don't sell their stuff. I'm sure I've read something before along those lines but I'd like to be able to show that first to get an OK.

edit: Bingo!

quote:

RR: You have an album out entitled Kleptomania. Is it in stores and where can you get a copy of that?
Gaz: Well actually, the thing with Kleptomania was because of the nature of the music industry in regards to mash-up music it’s actually something we have had to do virally. Kleptomania was produced in an extremely limited amount. I think we ended up doing only 500 copies and the only way to get one was to turn up to one of our shows and it was something you got for free. We made it up like a CD and got it all pressed and mastered. We had a really cool digi-pack for it that my friend designed and stuff like that. However, because of the nature of the music industry we couldn’t be seen selling what we were doing. So yeah, you got it by coming to the shows. I’ve heard stories of them floating around on eBay and things like that but we’re not allowed talk about getting money from it because otherwise we could get thrown in jail! (Laughs) That’s why it’s called Kleptomania.

[...]

RR: So there’s absolutely no chance of selling copies of it on your tour?
Gaz: No. We never sold Kleptomania and we never will. It was just something we gave away for free and they are all well and truly in the hands of the fans now.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 29, 2010

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

het posted:

Look, this isn't a filesharing forum, let it go. It isn't that hard to get this poo poo without doing it publicly on this forum. I just checked, it's up on what is by far the most well-known music torrent site, figure it out, okay?

I agree with this. I think that's the best way to go. If it can be found there, that should satisfy the majority. If you don't ask for a copy on SA, you'll be fine.

I understand het's concerns and whilst his decision isn't exactly what we wanted in an ideal world, it makes perfect sense and so I can happily live with that. I won't be linking it on here.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Looking forward heaps to that. Let's Go was a stellar track. Hopefully He doesn't gently caress it up with his own stuff cause his mashup is uniquely smooth and oh so polished.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Circle of Fifths is without a question worth the money.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

This poo poo kicks arse, gently caress the haters.
Happy AustraliaAlgorithms Release Day!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

icicle bob posted:

Another Day In Paradise, by Phil Collins, yo

That part was tight as hell.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I suspect you kids will poo poo your jorts when you hear Circle of Fifths.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Someone said earlier in the thread that Milkman doesn't make certain aspects of songs pop out or something to that effect but I think that's what I like a bit more about his mixing techniques than others, it makes it easier to not hate a song when Lady Gaga or something equally terrible comes on.

The best example of this is Controversy off Circle of Fifths. It is just one really smooth track - the base line stays smooth throughout it and the changes just seamlessly blend in to one another, more so than any other artist. I think his changes are the smoothest of anyone's out there and that's what gives his a much more mellow, 'whole of picture' approach rather than individual samples standing out. Let's Go, off Algorithms, was the same.

Also, I'm totes digging the Best of Bootie. I don't normally like the longer, 2-or-3-songs-to-a-track mashup but this is good.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 2, 2011

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Anyone have a link to the tanner4105 albums? I lost them and can't seem to find a valid link anywhere.

Tanmania of the 4105 Galaxy
The Disney EP
Bad Apollo

Ignore my stupid naming conventions.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Haha butthole, following their FB feed too eh? Who are you on there? Hit me up via MSN or something. Aren't you up in Brisbane or something too? We'll grab a drink next show they play this way.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Juanito posted:

It looks like their Facebook page doesn't exist. Might have gotten shut down.

edit- or they just prefer Myspace? Bleh.

Their FB page.

edit: Changed it as it became what was posted earlier, so idk?

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 21, 2011

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Fun Times! posted:

I downloaded Girl Talk's All Day yesterday (my first exposure to mashup) and loved it. Now I'm listening to Milkman's Algorithms and it's pretty good, too. :)
Where should I go?

Earlier Girl Talk and Milkman and Super Mash Bros and Ludachrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Yacht Club DJs uploaded a mixtape to their soundcloud in the lead-up to their performance at the Melbourne F1 GP, called the Side Tracked Mixtape. It's very little/nothing new, just a rearrangement of previous sample combinations they've used (mostly the Demons of Gymnastics album from what I can tell), but I figure some may be interested in it.

Currently there's no download button to get it off soundcloud, though.

They also did a Triple J set in the last few days, I believe. I'm hoping that surfaces.